Another cowardly farang bashing in Hua Hin

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
buksida

Re: Another cowardly farang bashing in Hua Hin

Post by buksida »

:offtopic: Really?

This has turned into a series of petty one-upmanships. Well, more of a 'getting the last word' spat that you'd witness at a kindergarten.

Can we get back onto the incident at hand regardless of who has the biggest wordupmanship rights? :roll:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

The thread has come to a little bit of a stalemate.
As Chazz14 and Big Boy have stated, to many questions unanswered and to many grey areas. :?
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

Bigotry and racism
Spitfire wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:07 pm An all too regularly used accusation flung around so lightly now. You are now either a Nazi or a Marxist in an instant these days with the levels of intolerance we commonly see.

There is some middle-ground still and it seems common to instantly throw the extremes at people for saying the slightest thing now.

The world is full of sensitive snowflakes with agendas imo these days. :roll:
Have to agree.
The overuse of the words and accusations has seriously blunted the effect.

It's almost like people and groups nowadays are actually looking and hoping to be offended to get their 5 minutes of fame on the soapbox (the variety of social media).
They are totally unaware of the real damage they have done. :|
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

Kudos to Spitfire for his excellent input. I couldn't agree more completely.
A friend is only one click away
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

OK back to the article. The use of the term 'farang bashing' is redolent of the old term 'Paki bashing' long ago in the UK. White youths wandering the streets looking for someone with 'subcontinent' looks to give a kicking to. The attack in this article was certainly cowardly because the attack took place from behind, that's for sure. But is there any evidence so far to say that the attack was this kind of racist (oops, trigger word for some....) violence? Or do we actually not know the motive of the attacker? The assumption being made by the OP is unhelpful and at first suckered me into the same kneejerk reaction. Others have jumped on the bandwagon too. An update on the story would be interesting to see if there is some family or other connection between the attacker and the Thai woman. Until then any judgement is premature.
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

I'm sorry to say, but IMHO this post has lost the plot.

Right from the get go there has been no real understanding of why this guy was attacked and despite the fact that I unwisely made a silly posting early on, no one has been able to substantiate whether or not the expat (and I refuse to use the word farang, as with gaijin in Japanese or gweilo in Chinese, all of which I consider derogatory) or the Thai had some history and/or were to blame.

Instead this thread has descended into a slagging match between forum members, to show who is the most PC and/or the best wordsmith....God's breath!!
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

aragon wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:58 pm I'm sorry to say, but IMHO this post has lost the plot.

Right from the get go there has been no real understanding of why this guy was attacked and despite the fact that I unwisely made a silly posting early on, no one has been able to substantiate whether or not the expat (and I refuse to use the word farang, as with gaijin in Japanese or gweilo in Chinese, all of which I consider derogatory) or the Thai had some history and/or were to blame.

Instead this thread has descended into a slagging match between forum members, to show who is the most PC and/or the best wordsmith....God's breath!!
I know this is off topic (again) but if you look up those words, you will find they are not meant as being derogatory (except farang in India). The words farang, gaiijin and gweilo go back many moons before insults were invented. Farang is actually buried in French history before the country was named after the Frank tribe and goes back to the middle ages. In general they mean 'of European descent', 'Caucasian', 'white race' .......
I'm quite happy to be called farang. The Thai people have long accepted that to describe Europeans.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

aragon wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:58 pm I'm sorry to say, but IMHO this post has lost the plot.

To discuss a post titled 'another cowardly farang bashing in Hua Hin' without discussing the meaning behind the chosen title is rather stupid.
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

HHTel wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:45 pmI know this is off topic (again) but if you look up those words, you will find they are not meant as being derogatory (except farang in India). The words farang, gaiijin and gweilo go back many moons before insults were invented. Farang is actually buried in French history before the country was named after the Frank tribe and goes back to the middle ages. In general they mean 'of European descent', 'Caucasian', 'white race' .......
I'm quite happy to be called farang. The Thai people have long accepted that to describe Europeans.
Hi HHTel, I accept what you say and the original derivation of those words were not meant to be derogatory, however having lived in both Japan and China I know exactly how they can be construed, by a lot of people. I haven't yet lived in Thailand, though have a house there and have spent quite a lot of time there, so I'll withdraw my statement in relation to farang and reassess when we do eventually retire there in a couple of years :thumb:
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

404cameljockey wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:54 pmTo discuss a post titled 'another cowardly farang bashing in Hua Hin' without discussing the meaning behind the chosen title is rather stupid.
I agree entirely, however I maintain my position, that I believe IMHO this thread has gone off the main theme, but that's just my opinion and it's by no means guaranteed to be correct :cheers:

404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

aragon wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:29 pm
404cameljockey wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:54 pmTo discuss a post titled 'another cowardly farang bashing in Hua Hin' without discussing the meaning behind the chosen title is rather stupid.
I agree entirely, however I maintain my position, that I believe IMHO this thread has gone off the main theme, but that's just my opinion and it's by no means guaranteed to be correct :cheers:
I'm loving this because you and HHTel are now way off topic, talking about the general meaning of farang. Pot/kettle :). Farang in the title of the post was in no way used insultingly, so the discussion has no relevance. If it had been typed 'expat bashing' it would have meant exactly the same. :D

No criticism really, your post complaining about 'off topic' in fact is a decision for mods to make, not humble users like you and I. I'm just interested in users' feelings as to what is and isn't germane to forum topics.

No posts are now contributing to the discussion of the criminal act because there are no new facts to add.

Please take this in a jocular spirit, that's how it's meant.:neener:
Bazz66
Novice
Novice

Post by Bazz66 »

My first post in my current incarnation. I feel I had to add to this thread. I was having a coffee in The Wake Cafe this afternoon, run by a very pleasant boy and his mum I assume. A European rode up on his motorbike and started berating the boy about his parking.The guy said why do you park your bike like that-taking up two spaces. There was plenty of room. Why do some Europeans act so aggressively? I can see how trouble develops.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Why do some Europeans act so aggressively? I can see how trouble develops.
Plenty of dicks everywhere, both foreign and local, who all think the sun shines out of their backsides. Many foreigners think they can get away with shit they can't pull in their country of origin and many locals are so hair trigger that they explode at the slightest thing/slight.

Surprised there aren't more altercations really between the two tbh. If anything, the locals let a lot pass from foreigners that they may well hit the red button at with other locals.

Unfortunately, beach resort towns/cities are a magnet for much of the trash for both foreign and local bottom feeders.

Nothing new there...move along.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Posts like this are comical. My experience here has been the exact opposite. Maybe because I'm short. lol

I've had farangs try to shove their way in front of me and/or my wife when in line for check out at Lotus. I've had them literally walk up to me and tell me I should not be buying my chosen meat because it's meat. I've been ripped off by a farang here when trying to do business.

I've had nothing but good courteous interactions with Thai's.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Most locals are fine outside the context of this thread subject...but we aren't talking about Thais in the line at a supermarket, we are talking about late at night in an entertainment/red light district along with the type of foreigner and local that frequents such places.

Post like yours are comical when you don't realise the context of the thread. :roll:

Edit - Wearing rose tinted ones about the locals here will lead to life in bubble land/denial and you being an apologist. The locals can be just as bad as the scumbag foreigners that are around but you probably won't realise this till you've lived here for 10-15 years. The locals are just better at hiding it and it's not some kind of TAT image of smiling love/generosity...far from it. You screw with them and you are fair game...like everyone else.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol