Another cowardly farang bashing in Hua Hin

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
User avatar
buksida
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 15566
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:25 pm
Location: south of sanity
Contact:

Re: Another cowardly farang bashing in Hua Hin

Post by buksida » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:49 pm

:offtopic: Really?

This has turned into a series of petty one-upmanships. Well, more of a 'getting the last word' spat that you'd witness at a kindergarten.

Can we get back onto the incident at hand regardless of who has the biggest wordupmanship rights? :roll:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Get out there: On The Road Asia

User avatar
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 4403
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:55 pm
Location: England

Re: Another cowardly farang bashing in Hua Hin

Post by redzonerocker » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:17 am

The thread has come to a little bit of a stalemate.
As Chazz14 and Big Boy have stated, to many questions unanswered and to many grey areas. :?
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

User avatar
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 4403
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:55 pm
Location: England

Re: Another cowardly farang bashing in Hua Hin

Post by redzonerocker » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:34 am

Bigotry and racism
Spitfire wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:07 pm
An all too regularly used accusation flung around so lightly now. You are now either a Nazi or a Marxist in an instant these days with the levels of intolerance we commonly see.

There is some middle-ground still and it seems common to instantly throw the extremes at people for saying the slightest thing now.

The world is full of sensitive snowflakes with agendas imo these days. :roll:
Have to agree.
The overuse of the words and accusations has seriously blunted the effect.

It's almost like people and groups nowadays are actually looking and hoping to be offended to get their 5 minutes of fame on the soapbox (the variety of social media).
They are totally unaware of the real damage they have done. :|
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

User avatar
Lung Per
Legend
Legend
Posts: 2235
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 12:03 am

Re: Another cowardly farang bashing in Hua Hin

Post by Lung Per » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:07 am

Kudos to Spitfire for his excellent input. I couldn't agree more completely.
A friend is only one click away

User avatar
404cameljockey
Professional
Professional
Posts: 355
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:14 am

Re: Another cowardly farang bashing in Hua Hin

Post by 404cameljockey » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:11 am

OK back to the article. The use of the term 'farang bashing' is redolent of the old term 'Paki bashing' long ago in the UK. White youths wandering the streets looking for someone with 'subcontinent' looks to give a kicking to. The attack in this article was certainly cowardly because the attack took place from behind, that's for sure. But is there any evidence so far to say that the attack was this kind of racist (oops, trigger word for some....) violence? Or do we actually not know the motive of the attacker? The assumption being made by the OP is unhelpful and at first suckered me into the same kneejerk reaction. Others have jumped on the bandwagon too. An update on the story would be interesting to see if there is some family or other connection between the attacker and the Thai woman. Until then any judgement is premature.

User avatar
aragon
Professional
Professional
Posts: 423
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:12 pm
Location: The (Not So) Magic Kingdom

Re: Another cowardly farang bashing in Hua Hin

Post by aragon » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:58 pm

I'm sorry to say, but IMHO this post has lost the plot.

Right from the get go there has been no real understanding of why this guy was attacked and despite the fact that I unwisely made a silly posting early on, no one has been able to substantiate whether or not the expat (and I refuse to use the word farang, as with gaijin in Japanese or gweilo in Chinese, all of which I consider derogatory) or the Thai had some history and/or were to blame.

Instead this thread has descended into a slagging match between forum members, to show who is the most PC and/or the best wordsmith....God's breath!!
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Before marriage, a man yearns for the woman he loves.
After marriage, the 'Y' becomes silent.

HHTel
Legend
Legend
Posts: 2675
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:44 pm

Re: Another cowardly farang bashing in Hua Hin

Post by HHTel » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:45 pm

aragon wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:58 pm
I'm sorry to say, but IMHO this post has lost the plot.

Right from the get go there has been no real understanding of why this guy was attacked and despite the fact that I unwisely made a silly posting early on, no one has been able to substantiate whether or not the expat (and I refuse to use the word farang, as with gaijin in Japanese or gweilo in Chinese, all of which I consider derogatory) or the Thai had some history and/or were to blame.

Instead this thread has descended into a slagging match between forum members, to show who is the most PC and/or the best wordsmith....God's breath!!
I know this is off topic (again) but if you look up those words, you will find they are not meant as being derogatory (except farang in India). The words farang, gaiijin and gweilo go back many moons before insults were invented. Farang is actually buried in French history before the country was named after the Frank tribe and goes back to the middle ages. In general they mean 'of European descent', 'Caucasian', 'white race' .......
I'm quite happy to be called farang. The Thai people have long accepted that to describe Europeans.

User avatar
404cameljockey
Professional
Professional
Posts: 355
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:14 am

Re: Another cowardly farang bashing in Hua Hin

Post by 404cameljockey » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:54 pm

aragon wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:58 pm
I'm sorry to say, but IMHO this post has lost the plot.

Right from the get go there has been no real understanding of why this guy was attacked and despite the fact that I unwisely made a silly posting early on, no one has been able to substantiate whether or not the expat (and I refuse to use the word farang, as with gaijin in Japanese or gweilo in Chinese, all of which I consider derogatory) or the Thai had some history and/or were to blame.

Instead this thread has descended into a slagging match between forum members, to show who is the most PC and/or the best wordsmith....God's breath!!
To discuss a post titled 'another cowardly farang bashing in Hua Hin' without discussing the meaning behind the chosen title is rather stupid.

User avatar
aragon
Professional
Professional
Posts: 423
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:12 pm
Location: The (Not So) Magic Kingdom

Re: Another cowardly farang bashing in Hua Hin

Post by aragon » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:26 pm

HHTel wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:45 pm
I know this is off topic (again) but if you look up those words, you will find they are not meant as being derogatory (except farang in India). The words farang, gaiijin and gweilo go back many moons before insults were invented. Farang is actually buried in French history before the country was named after the Frank tribe and goes back to the middle ages. In general they mean 'of European descent', 'Caucasian', 'white race' .......
I'm quite happy to be called farang. The Thai people have long accepted that to describe Europeans.
Hi HHTel, I accept what you say and the original derivation of those words were not meant to be derogatory, however having lived in both Japan and China I know exactly how they can be construed, by a lot of people. I haven't yet lived in Thailand, though have a house there and have spent quite a lot of time there, so I'll withdraw my statement in relation to farang and reassess when we do eventually retire there in a couple of years :thumb:
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Before marriage, a man yearns for the woman he loves.
After marriage, the 'Y' becomes silent.

User avatar
aragon
Professional
Professional
Posts: 423
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:12 pm
Location: The (Not So) Magic Kingdom

Re: Another cowardly farang bashing in Hua Hin

Post by aragon » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:29 pm

404cameljockey wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:54 pm
To discuss a post titled 'another cowardly farang bashing in Hua Hin' without discussing the meaning behind the chosen title is rather stupid.
I agree entirely, however I maintain my position, that I believe IMHO this thread has gone off the main theme, but that's just my opinion and it's by no means guaranteed to be correct :cheers:
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Before marriage, a man yearns for the woman he loves.
After marriage, the 'Y' becomes silent.

User avatar
404cameljockey
Professional
Professional
Posts: 355
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:14 am

Re: Another cowardly farang bashing in Hua Hin

Post by 404cameljockey » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:47 pm

aragon wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:29 pm
404cameljockey wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:54 pm
To discuss a post titled 'another cowardly farang bashing in Hua Hin' without discussing the meaning behind the chosen title is rather stupid.
I agree entirely, however I maintain my position, that I believe IMHO this thread has gone off the main theme, but that's just my opinion and it's by no means guaranteed to be correct :cheers:
I'm loving this because you and HHTel are now way off topic, talking about the general meaning of farang. Pot/kettle :). Farang in the title of the post was in no way used insultingly, so the discussion has no relevance. If it had been typed 'expat bashing' it would have meant exactly the same. :D

No criticism really, your post complaining about 'off topic' in fact is a decision for mods to make, not humble users like you and I. I'm just interested in users' feelings as to what is and isn't germane to forum topics.

No posts are now contributing to the discussion of the criminal act because there are no new facts to add.


Please take this in a jocular spirit, that's how it's meant.:neener:

Bazz66
Novice
Novice
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:26 pm

Re: Another cowardly farang bashing in Hua Hin

Post by Bazz66 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:36 pm

My first post in my current incarnation. I feel I had to add to this thread. I was having a coffee in The Wake Cafe this afternoon, run by a very pleasant boy and his mum I assume. A European rode up on his motorbike and started berating the boy about his parking.The guy said why do you park your bike like that-taking up two spaces. There was plenty of room. Why do some Europeans act so aggressively? I can see how trouble develops.

User avatar
Spitfire
Addict
Addict
Posts: 5118
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:17 pm
Location: Thailand

Re: Another cowardly farang bashing in Hua Hin

Post by Spitfire » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:10 pm

Why do some Europeans act so aggressively? I can see how trouble develops.
Plenty of dicks everywhere, both foreign and local, who all think the sun shines out of their backsides. Many foreigners think they can get away with shit they can't pull in their country of origin and many locals are so hair trigger that they explode at the slightest thing/slight.

Surprised there aren't more altercations really between the two tbh. If anything, the locals let a lot pass from foreigners that they may well hit the red button at with other locals.

Unfortunately, beach resort towns/cities are a magnet for much of the trash for both foreign and local bottom feeders.

Nothing new there...move along.
The state has a monopoly on violence - Max Weber

RCer
Guru
Guru
Posts: 678
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:48 pm

Re: Another cowardly farang bashing in Hua Hin

Post by RCer » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:06 pm

Posts like this are comical. My experience here has been the exact opposite. Maybe because I'm short. lol

I've had farangs try to shove their way in front of me and/or my wife when in line for check out at Lotus. I've had them literally walk up to me and tell me I should not be buying my chosen meat because it's meat. I've been ripped off by a farang here when trying to do business.

I've had nothing but good courteous interactions with Thai's.

User avatar
Spitfire
Addict
Addict
Posts: 5118
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:17 pm
Location: Thailand

Re: Another cowardly farang bashing in Hua Hin

Post by Spitfire » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:15 pm

Most locals are fine outside the context of this thread subject...but we aren't talking about Thais in the line at a supermarket, we are talking about late at night in an entertainment/red light district along with the type of foreigner and local that frequents such places.

Post like yours are comical when you don't realise the context of the thread. :roll:

Edit - Wearing rose tinted ones about the locals here will lead to life in bubble land/denial and you being an apologist. The locals can be just as bad as the scumbag foreigners that are around but you probably won't realise this till you've lived here for 10-15 years. The locals are just better at hiding it and it's not some kind of TAT image of smiling love/generosity...far from it. You screw with them and you are fair game...like everyone else.
The state has a monopoly on violence - Max Weber

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests