Why aren't there bars like this in Hua Hin?

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
Big Boy

Re: Why aren't there bars like this in Hua Hin?

Post by Big Boy »

Can I say, I had a gun pulled on me in Miami because I was trying to pay for a round of drinks with a $100 bill. I think they thought the gun would make smaller denominations appear in my wallet. I wasn't told to leave, but I didn't feel inclined to stay either.

A friend ended up paying for that round.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Anyone been to La Bierra in Khao Takiap yet?

Just wondering, rather than reading about Japanese brothels or how safe you feel visiting Thai whorehouses alone.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

caller wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:35 pm Japanese brothels or how safe you feel visiting Thai whorehouses alone.
Wow :shock: Is that what thread has degraded to? I thought we were talking about a welcome in bars :tsk:

That'll teach me to go AWOL to watch footie. :banghead:

:offtopic:

Points 41; Position 18
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

caller wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:35 pm Anyone been to La Bierra in Khao Takiap yet?

Just wondering, rather than reading about Japanese brothels or how safe you feel visiting Thai whorehouses alone.
...yes?

"Lost" pub in Khao Takiep also offer a few imported beers, though nowhere near the variety on offer at La Birra. They have a big food menu, but no live music. They are open all day, though.... La Birra is only open in the evenings.

Lost clearly targets the foreign customers (though I rarely see any customers there....), while La Birra generally caters to the upmarket Thais. Beware that the already high prices are ++.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Pleng wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:01 pm "Lost" pub in Khao Takiep also offer a few imported beers, though nowhere near the variety on offer at La Birra. They have a big food menu, but no live music. They are open all day, though.... La Birra is only open in the evenings.

Lost clearly targets the foreign customers (though I rarely see any customers there....), while La Birra generally caters to the upmarket Thais. Beware that the already high prices are ++.
Thanks for the feedback. :)
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Hospitality in foreign bars moved here - http://www.huahinforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=34791

If you want to discuss brothel etiquette, there is a forum to do just that i.e. Night Crawlers. Further brothel discussion here will be deleted.

:offtopic:

Points 41; Position 18
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

thank you.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

caller wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:35 pm Anyone been to La Bierra in Khao Takiap yet?
Quite a few times, it's a very chilled place and there are some excellent live music sessions they put in that are soothing, acoustic sets. Although it's a concrete box, the decor inside is appealing and their use of natural materials make for a relaxed atmosphere. There is an enormous picture (could be a mural) that depicts the end of what looked to be a bloody good dinner. Reminds me of a business lunch at Quaglinos, circa 2002.

La Birra sports an impressive menu of foreign, bottled beers from around the world that features some obscure little numbers you would normally only find in Flanders. If you want to hear someone say "no have", repeatedly, just try to order one of them though!

It is a very generous bar and if, like me, you like to get your money's worth when ordering a cocktail, go for their Long Island Iced Tea. It's served in a fair-sized tankard, to the brim, and after two of them you probably won't be able to walk straight.

I'd recommend going there if you're heading for food or a browse around Cicada and want to extend your evening. It's not really a "destination" bar but well worth the visit.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

J.J.B. wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:19 pm
Quite a few times,
And that's an excellent review of the place, much appreciated! :thumb:

And it comes with a plan to follow, which I'll try and do soon.
Talk is cheap
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Yes, the "no have"/"finish" or "mod kaa" can be an annoyance but that's not specific to La Birra, really! If my first choice is unavailable then I'm usually luckily enough to get my second choice.

the last time I went, the beer menu - whilst still quite large - did have quite a few items removed. I'm not quite sure if that will alleviate or compound the issue of some items being out of stock! I recall the most expensive beer on the menu being over 1000bt for a 750cl bottle - apparently it has gold flakes inside the bottle which I'm sure really enhance the flavour... :?

I personally find these kind of bars a good place to start an evening, before heading on to more reasonably placed venues afterwards. Even if you go on a non Cicada day there's still either Baan Nockachan across the road for some crusty rock and roll and cheap beers, or the more recently opened "Sunset Lounge" outdoor drinking area next door (to La Birra, not to Baan Nockachan). It's also directly on the Santhaaw route if you want a cheap ride into town after, or there are plenty of tuk-tuks on the weekends when Cicada is open.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Pleng wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:06 pm I personally find these kind of bars a good place to start an evening, before heading on to more reasonably placed venues afterwards. Even if you go on a non Cicada day there's still either Baan Nockachan across the road for some crusty rock and roll and cheap beers, or the more recently opened "Sunset Lounge" outdoor drinking area next door (to La Birra, not to Baan Nockachan). It's also directly on the Santhaaw route if you want a cheap ride into town after, or there are plenty of tuk-tuks on the weekends when Cicada is open.
Couldn't agree more! :cheers:

I'll have to check out the bars nearby you mention.

Meanwhile, here is one of their Long Island Iced Tea 'pints'. The faces have been changed to protect the innocent!

IMG_1178.jpg
IMG_1178.jpg (45.96 KiB) Viewed 2062 times
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde