Irish Pub in Hua Hin

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Re: Irish Pub in Hua Hin

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Colcannon/Black White Pudding/Spuds and Spuds served in many ways(Boxty-Champ)/Soda Bread/Spud Bread/Dulse added to seafood and one of my favourites irish seafood chowder to name a few
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

prcscct wrote:Corn beef and cabbage with a load of mashed potatoes swimming in butter. Then....cold corn beef sandwiches with mustard. Then....corn beef hash. I'm drowning in nostalgia. :D
I need to post the below to set the record straight. Regardless...it's good stuff! :D

"The first St. Patrick’s Day parade took place not in Dublin but in New York City, in 1762. Over the next 100 years, Irish immigration to the United States exploded. The new wave of immigrants brought their own food traditions, including soda bread and Irish stew. Pork was the preferred meat, since it was cheap in Ireland and ubiquitous on the dinner table. The favored cut was Irish bacon, a lean, smoked pork loin similar to Canadian bacon. But in the United States, pork was prohibitively expensive for most newly arrived Irish families, so they began cooking beef—the staple meat in the American diet—instead.

So how did pork and potatoes become corned beef and cabbage? Irish immigrants to America lived alongside other “undesirable” European ethnic groups that often faced discrimination in their new home, including Jews and Italians. Members of the Irish working class in New York City frequented Jewish delis and lunch carts, and it was there that they first tasted corned beef. Cured and cooked much like Irish bacon, it was seen as a tasty and cheaper alternative to pork. And while potatoes were certainly available in the United States, cabbage offered a more cost-effective alternative to cash-strapped Irish families. Cooked in the same pot, the spiced, salty beef flavored the plain cabbage, creating a simple, hearty dish that couldn’t be easier to prepare.

After taking off among New York City’s Irish community, corned beef and cabbage found fans across the country. It was the perfect dish for everyone from harried housewives to busy cooks on trains and in cafeterias—cheap, easy to cook and hard to overcook. It was even served alongside mock turtle coup at President Lincoln’s inauguration dinner in 1862.

Far from being as Irish as a shamrock field, this St. Patrick’s Day classic is as American as apple pie." http://www.history.com/news/hungry-hist ... -meatballs
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

That explains it Pete as I've worked in Ireland a couple of times over the years and I never came across any corned beef and cabbage. Although they didn't serve anything particularly local, one thing I remember is that works canteens over their were surprisingly good compared with most of the rest of the world where they're either bland or an invitation to food poisoning.
trifca

Post by trifca »

Lots of the Pies and Stew and sorts........ The BEST Irish Stew in Thailand so far is O'malley's on Convent Road in Bangkok.
But the best over all Irish food is in Bangkok on Soi 33/1 it's name is "The Dubliner.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Dubliner food is good, very good breakfasts. On the other hand prices about twice what you would pay in HH. Big difference in BKK, significant number of guys charging the meals on their company CC, I had a friend who liked to pay for friends food as this made the receipt look as if was entertaining a client. Don't see that inHH.
trifca

Post by trifca »

Yes understand... and agree...... But like the laid back life here in HH. We went driving on the beach on Sunday ( We own a UTV, sort of like an ATV but looks like a miniature jeep with 2/4 wheel drive.) Then went shopping for plants for our new home. Enjoying retired live here in HH. :)
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

There are no Irish bars as such.....
What about that place in Soi 80? - not that I've ever been inside...
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

What exactly is an 'Irish Bar' in Hua Hin?

In my experience, from London, there are two types. The 1st is an unpretentious sort of place, maybe having an Irish Landlord, but if not, certainly a strong Irish contingent amongst the punters, maybe an Irish music night as well. Generally, it will have a choice of more than one stout, an Irish bitter and maybe a slightly more diverse range of bottled beers. The last I frequented like this was the Hand & Flower on Ham Common, where the owner ran a really good pub.

The other type are the themed places, run by large companies as chains, where the Pubs are decorated in Irish paraphernalia and it might have Irish Stew on the menu. O'Neills is a typical example in England. They're all over the place (although I'm pleased to say that the one near where I worked in London has since shut). Any resemblance to a proper Irish boozer is purely accidental and they are just a plastic pastiche of the real thing.

So when people ask about an Irish Pub in Hua Hin, what exactly are they looking for?
Talk is cheap
sand_dancer
Guru
Guru

Post by sand_dancer »

uncle tom wrote:
Not sure what place you mean UT.....

But unless it has opened in the last 6 weeks or so......

Deffo nothing in Soi 80 that could be construed as an Irish Bar......
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Good summary caller. Its surprising that the Irish or British pub concept does not travel well, works in Canada and OZ, but not elsewhere. Dubliner inBKK comes close, menu and drinks are appropriate and music close. I like el Murphys, not that its that Irish but great for sporting events and bar girl free.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

and bar girl free. Quote Oakdale160

I rather think you would want to change that to " Free of bar girls" :thumb:

Murphs may be inundated tonight with cheap charlie sex pats expecting a free bed mate :duck:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

OK, but I think bar girl free ( should have a hyphen I admit bargirl- free.is better) is not the same as free bar girl.
dalmatiandave
Professional
Professional

Post by dalmatiandave »

The closest to an Irish pub (as in Ireland) I came across was a pub called Boscos in Pattaya. I believe it closed down in about 2010-11. I met the manager and he believed all the other pubs in Pattaya were just theme bars (all ok but not true style Irish). Even his colour scheme of Orange etc was more akin to the photos of Irish pubs he had hanging on his wall. It wasn't a big place and was next to the Ali Baba Indian restaurant. Had a few drinks there on occasions and sad to see it go as the owner was a nice guy who use to be manager at the Tara Hotel in Pattaya.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

Not sure what place you mean UT.....

But unless it has opened in the last 6 weeks or so......

Deffo nothing in Soi 80 that could be construed as an Irish Bar......
On a corner about half way up, been there a couple of years now - looks Irish from the outside, but I've never been in..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

The Clansman ? a Scottish owned bar (or was)
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.