Fire in Geronimo bar?

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Fire in Geronimo bar?

Post by dtaai-maai »

oakdale160 wrote:That means there are. 4 BOBs (burnt out bars) in the area. M ore to come?
OMG, 4 BOBs in the BAB area? Call the BIB, BB!
This is the way
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

I wonder how many members read what GLCQ posted in the early hours of this morning...quite scandalous and deserving of a ban!!!!
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

He mentioned karma, among other things. Presumably he thinks it only applies to others.
This is the way
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Arlo wrote:
hhfarang wrote:
Heard from the owner of the bar next door (Flamingo) that it started about 5 am and a farang got trapped inside and had to break out. The fire nearly spread to the Flamingo
What was a farang doing in there at 5 a.m. Is it also a guest house or have long time rooms?
M or Mike the owner of the bar lives or lived I should say upstairs. That is why there was a farang there at 5 am. It has nothing to do with a pissed up farang with a wad of cash. The guy had the bar for years and lived above it. Thanks again Richard for your insight on people who work and live in that area.
As clearly stated in my opening post the information given me was hearsay from people who have lived and worked in the close vicinity of the bar for over 10 years.

My comments concerning short time rooms, 2am drunks and girls sleeping on the bar floors while their accommodation was in short time usage were based on my observations and experiences gained during my regular use of the bars in that area going back 10 years or more. In fact I occasionally managed a bar only a few paces from the Geronimo and actually had a tour of the Geronimo bar when it was being fitted out many years back.

I did not see GLCq's comment so I assume the mods withdrew it
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Arlo
Professional
Professional

Post by Arlo »

richard wrote:
Arlo wrote:
hhfarang wrote:
What was a farang doing in there at 5 a.m. Is it also a guest house or have long time rooms?
M or Mike the owner of the bar lives or lived I should say upstairs. That is why there was a farang there at 5 am. It has nothing to do with a pissed up farang with a wad of cash. The guy had the bar for years and lived above it. Thanks again Richard for your insight on people who work and live in that area.
As clearly stated in my opening post the information given me was hearsay from people who have lived and worked in the close vicinity of the bar for over 10 years.

My comments concerning short time rooms, 4am drunks and girls sleeping on the bar floors while teir accommodation was in short time usage were based on my observations and experiences gained during my regular use of the bars in that area going back 10 years or more. In fact I occasionally managed a bar only a few paces from the Geronimo and actually had a tour of the Geronimo bar when it was being fitted out many years back.

I did not see GLCq's comment so I assume the mods withdrew it
Yes I understand what goes on in places around town, but its not the only thing that happens. You assumed just because he was farang that he must have been drunk and spending money. Sure its very common but before you write on here and answer other peoples questions you should at least know the facts. Its not fair to the guy in the picture nor anybody reading this. Like I said before, he was the owner of the bar for years and lived above it.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

I did not say this was the case in Geronimo's. I was merely responding to a question asked about farangs being upstairs in bars in the early hours of the morning.
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

richard wrote:I did not see GLCq's comment so I assume the mods withdrew it
I saw it. I hope he thanks them after apologising.
Talk is cheap
Gus
Guru
Guru

Post by Gus »

Geronimos was open for business earlier this week, I didn't go in so not sure if there is a smell of smoke.
Didn't the boss of Geronimos own a Big Dog?
News

Post by News »

Richard is quite right about falangs sleeping on the premises. My Thai wife was the previous owner of the bar and in the five years we had it there were several occaisions when customers spent the night there, Not upstairs though, bar ladies rooms tend to be a bit of a shambles and it is far more sensible to leave them downstairs sleeping on a mat where they have easy access to a toilet.
Many reasons why they sleep there, usually because they are well and truly intoxicated and are unable to get home safely
on their motorbikes, there was one customer from Denmark who was regularly sent back home on our own motorbike with another bar girl taking his own bike back before returning with the other girl. Some customers just flake out and are dead to the world and there are a surprisingly large number who can't remember the name of their hotel, they know where it is but couldn't give us reliable information so that we could tahe them home.
Richard's comments aren't a slur on the owner. more of a compliment as it shows that he is showing good customer care.
Better to let them sleep on the premises than send them off staggering down the road where there could be apprehended by the police or even bearen up and robbed.
News

Post by News »

An unfortunate use of words but Richard was right in one respect, that customers who were well and truly over the limit and had passed out, were many years ago given a chance to sleep it off rather than just turfing them out into the street where they could be attacked or robbed. Saying that though always downstairs and never with the girls upstairs.
My wife was the previous owner of the bar and there were quite a few occaisions when, at the time I went home, some customers were sleeping it off in their chairs. This would be at least eight years ago when the police were not so oppressive, closing time was 2.00am but the police did not seem to object to bars staying open behind closed doors as long as there was no trouble. It was usually about 3.30am when our bar closed so any customers who were still incapable of getting home safely could have been allowed to stay snoozing as it would have been only a couple more hours until daylight anyway.
If there were some bar girls who had to sleep in the bar downstairs due to there being insufficient room for them upstairs they would sleep on the bar floor themselves, being there to let any customer out when they had recovered. and were in a fit state to return home.
Not so easy now with far earlier closing time though I am sure that in many bars the girls sleep downstairs in the
bar either for security or just so that they could let other girls get back in after a visit to the Hilton or a karaoke, so maybe intoxicated customers could still be given the chance to stay in their drunken stupor for a while.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Very true News

I don't trawl the bars at night anymore. Been there. read the book, seen the movie..............BUT years ago many farangs crashed on the bar floors with a blanket or two to await sunrise. Often joined by 'stupored' bar girls to keep them from snoring too loud and indeed to let late bar girl arrivals in after their nights exercise.

In those days farangs were protected from wandering off in no fit condition to get home unlike western bars who kick you out at closing time whatever their condition.

I've seen motorbike keys confiscated, crash pads laid out and cups of coffee laid on to prevent a customer from leaving to wander down the streets looking for their hotels. Must admit that in those days it did seem safe enough to wander about in the early hours but I fear it is less safe now. Too many predators around (L/B's and young Thai lads) all too eager to pounce on an out of control drunk
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

To get this thread :offtopic: does anyone know if the owner is ok and is M still around.

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

kendo wrote:To get this thread :offtopic: does anyone know if the owner is ok and is M still around.

Kendo. :cheers:
Yes Geronimo's is my local, M is doing allot better but is not around as much as he used to be, still recovering a little bit. The back room where the fire started has been redone. Bar is pretty much back to normal now, the Dog is ok, no problems with him either...

YNWA :cheers:
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936
aroiaroi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by aroiaroi »

Someone know what they gonna build there now?
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

aroiaroi wrote:Someone know what they gonna build there now?

Geronimos wasn't burned down to the ground, its still up and running.
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936