More hassle for bar-owners..

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: More hassle for bar-owners..

Post by margaretcarnes »

It might just be an idea to get the farang bar owners together in some sort of formal cooperation initiative and establish a dialog with police executives, perhaps the mayor's office or other appropriate parties. Dialog may solve problems, confrontation will not. And certainly not in the middle of the night.

:thumb:[/quote]

The problem with that is the majority of farang bar 'owners' aren't legal - their bars are in Thai names and they don't have work permits, so none of them are likely to voluntarily buddy up with the authorities.
Farang who have licencesed premises and work permits have always been summoned to meetings at the police station when the MIB need to notify changes in regulations or policy.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Last year the bar owners from Binta were all asked to attend a meeting at the Amphur out near the by-pass.
This 'meeting' was to address the issue of 'outside' speakers & loud music coming from the bars.
As everyone got sat down around a large table a list with the names of all Binta's bars was passed around for each owner/representative attending to sign..seemed fair so everyone who was there signed next to their bar's name.
The 'meeting' was a waste of time, the Police & Amphur officials just waffled for an hour..(about right then).

BUT..What I'm coming around to saying is that ALL the bars that signed next to their names on that
list got fined 2,500B by the Amphur officials & the police (with that very list in their hands)..that very evening for excessive noise/playing music to high!! :cuss:

Now THIS is what the bar-owners get when they try to co-operate with the officials here in Dodge City. :guns:
So I for one would LOVE to see a 'Bar-owners assocciation', but
A)..Most of the Farang 'owners' are in Europe, so their Thai partners are running things, & they don't give a hoot as long as he sends money for rent/bills etc, & keep the girls 'Sangsom -table' stocked every night.
B) The 'powers that be' would no doubt see this activity as threatening & would make liquor-licences harder to obtain,
& a host of other hurdles to jump thru'. T.I.T.

As ever I guess we need to remind ourselves we a but guests in this country,
& try not to upset the Apple-Cart to much/to often.. :roll:

:cheers: :cheers:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

BUT..What I'm coming around to saying is that ALL the bars that signed next to their names on that list got fined 2,500B by the Amphur officials & the police (with that very list in their hands)..that very evening for excessive noise/playing music to high!!
I almost admire their style; the logic is, why would you go to a meeting about loud music if you're not making any? Far more efficient than wandering around in the night with a noise meter!
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Excellent tactics Steve - and if any farang did attend and sign, when they are just bankrolling a bar and not officially running it, I wonder what else they could do with that list?
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

All countries have rules about running bars. Those apply i.a. to tables on the sidewalk, noise and loud music, work regulations, minimum pay, closing hours, etc. etc. etc.
Bar owners should be used to follow such rules from their home countries.
When in Thailand, what makes them believe that they should not follow local rules?
If they cannot operate under Thai rules, perhaps they should take their business elsewhere. :tsk:
A friend is only one click away
alleykat
Professional
Professional

Post by alleykat »

I think the reason people get annoyed about things like this is because most of the time they can get away with breaking some of the rules because the authorities turn a blind eye to many of them. Then when the authorities do end up getting around to doing something about it. many feel like they're being hard done by.

I'd like to draw an analogy with the motorbike helmet situation. People know its silly & illegal to ride without a helmet, but many still do it as they know 9 times out of ten they'll get away with it.
Then they get peed off if they get caught and have to pay a fine. If the police stopped everybody not wearing a helmet, all the time, and gave out substantial fines similar to the west, then I'll wager you'd hardly see anyone riding without one.

Back to the bars. If the rules were enforced properly all the time, and everyone knew what the rules were, a lot of these issues wouldn't arise.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Very valid points alleycat, and I agree that enforcement of laws in the LOS should be consistent. But with the tables outside of bars issue, the bar properties do extend to the edge of the kerb, and as far as I'm aware you can put whatever you want out there. It's the bars' land.
If some bars have been daft enough to actually put tables on the road then fair enough, they need to be sorted.
News

Post by News »

Definitely the bars being singled out.
Just across the road from Bintabaht the small restaurants there have been so busy this year that they have put tables and chairs on the oavement, no doubt with tourist who had probably previously been drinking in the bars sat drinking there instead!
So bad that it's impossible to walk down the pavement and the tourist have to walk in the road.
AllanH
Rookie
Rookie

Post by AllanH »

There are similar rules in hong Kong about not having tables and chairs on the pavement or public areas outside bars/restaurants. These are often enforced in large pedestrian only areas where they would add to the charm rather than inconvenience and so the Thais are not alone in enforcing such rules.
News

Post by News »

The noise level I can understand, since they lost a large chunk of their pocket money when Lucky Lukes changed hands, but with this bar and the Butterfly Bar upping the decibels recently the police have probably decided to enforce new local laws
I believe I am right in saying that local laws in Cha Am prohitis the use of loud stereo music in sea front residential areas after 20.00 and bars after 22.00. Hopefuuly they won't start applying them here when Cha Am joins Hua Hin in the new province later this year.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Maybe related to this: http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews ... ent-venues

Though crackdowns on Hua Hin's bar district have been happening since it has been there and usually occur once or twice every year (often during high season) when the tea jar is getting light or some bigwig is in town.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

if you not deef,or big drunk who want to sit outside a bar on bintaban as they all play so loud and a lot of crab music so you can't speak with anyone.

I have come to bintaban for 25 + years but stop now , and luckely theres plenty of good places around
the city where its much better and cheaper.

:cheers: :cheers:
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

News wrote: I believe I am right in saying that local laws in Cha Am prohitis the use of loud stereo music in sea front residential areas after 20.00 and bars after 22.00. Hopefuuly they won't start applying them here when Cha Am joins Hua Hin in the new province later this year.
Well, Hopefully they will-. :tsk:
A friend is only one click away
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Post by Winkie »

News wrote: Hopefully they won't start applying them here when Cha Am joins Hua Hin in the new province later this year.
Is this still on the cards?

I remember that it later changed to talk of unapproved plans for a 'special administrative area',not a province, but I did think it went any further than unfinished plans.

Is it really on the cards?
Only the crumbliest, flakiest Winkie....
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Getting :offtopic: there is a proposal out to ban liquor sales on streets and in public places. What effect is that going to have?

http://www.thephuket...huket-36674.php
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.