Bars closed during elections ?

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
Huahinian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Bars closed during elections ?

Post by Huahinian »

For those who do not know, there are local elections in Hua Hin this weekend and bar restrictions will be applied.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

No matter where you are in Thailand, who is being elected, Budda days etc.... you can always get a beer somewhere even if it is out of a teacup.

Crazy
The understudy
Ace
Ace

Post by The understudy »

crazy88 wrote:No matter where you are in Thailand, who is being elected, Budda days etc.... you can always get a beer somewhere even if it is out of a teacup.

Crazy
Agree with you The understudy does Crazy88!!! without any exeptions!!!

Your's The understudy!!! :rasta: :rasta: :rasta:
In Love with Hua Hin since 19naughty9 and it ain't fading!!!
(My fable for All Things Japanese knows no boundaries!) Proud Student of Stamford University Hua Hin Campus from 1999 to 2004 (5th Batch of Graduates.)
“Once you survive Stamford U Hua Hin Campus only you can survive anything!!!”
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I've just been informed over the phone that bars are closed today and tomorrow and next Saturday and Sunday as well, the same as happened in the last elections.
That is obviously second-hand information so perhaps someone there could confirm.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

STEVE G wrote:I've just been informed over the phone that bars are closed today and tomorrow and next Saturday and Sunday as well, the same as happened in the last elections.
That is obviously second-hand information so perhaps someone there could confirm.

Yep, I was told the same yesterday by a bar owner.
The reason is, I think, that people not living in their own constituency can vote in advance this weekend in their place of temporary residence - and we wouldn't want them to be under the affluence of incohol for that, would we??!! :roll:
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

:banghead: Well let's have another go at killing the tourist trade

As a resident Expat, WGAS. Over the railway lines and go to a bar there

Thai logic in full form. Penalise the bars where punters cannot vote and where the voters drink (over the railway line) ignore cos most are frequented or owned by MIB

Take it or leave it WGAS :cheers: :cheers:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

LHV wrote:Does this ban on alcohol sales apply even in Bangkok?
I was in Bangkok for last main election and no restaurant would sell it, no 'mom and pop' shops in the backstreets would sell it, hotel restaurant wouldn't serve a bottle of wine, only yes was delivered as room service. Not that I was fussed or anything. 8)

Can bars still sell Coke?
I think the MIB turn their noses up to that one.

SJ
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

I've experienced in HH , BK an Isaan in mom/pop shops and 711's where they say 'you farang so you not vote so I sell you booze' :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
moja
Guru
Guru

Post by moja »

Super Joe wrote:
I was in Bangkok for last main election and no restaurant would sell it, no 'mom and pop' shops in the backstreets would sell it, hotel restaurant wouldn't serve a bottle of wine, only yes was delivered as room service. Not that I was fussed or anything. 8)

SJ
You must have been in looking in the wrong places in BKK, SJ as we had no problem getting a drink during the last election. It was in the heart of Patpong and right opposite a manned police box!!!! Our hotel also served drinks during happy hour.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

moja wrote:
Super Joe wrote:

SJ
You must have been in looking in the wrong places in BKK, SJ as we had no problem getting a drink during the last election. It was in the heart of Patpong and right opposite a manned police box!!!! Our hotel also served drinks during happy hour.
Easy really. Ask a cop if you can buy him a beer. Problem solved :cheers: :cheers:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

Mandm
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Mandm »

I was in patong on the 2 weekends mentioned.No beer served saturday nights and didnt start serving until 11pm sun eve.Bloody nightmare as when you cant have a beer you really fancy one!!!!
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

Things must be rough if not being able to drink in a bar is a calamity.
Try this: go to 7-11 the day before and stock up. Invite friends over and get as p**sed as you like.
Bonus points: you don't have to find your way home.
Happiness can't buy money
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Why go to 7-11 and pay 15-20% more than you would at a local shop that needs the money more than a large corporate outfit and does not try to give you straws and plastic bags with a can of beer and get into a blind panic when you do not want them :roll:

Crazy 88
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Pretty rough at the moment if you want to go on the tear in Pattaya!!

They're facing their 3rd weekend in a row of bar closures, because there are local elections in just 2 districts there this weekend :banghead:
Mandm
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Mandm »

johnnyk wrote:Things must be rough if not being able to drink in a bar is a calamity.
Try this: go to 7-11 the day before and stock up. Invite friends over and get as p**sed as you like.
Bonus points: you don't have to find your way home.
Ha ha. My friends aren't as pleasing on the eye as the girls no matter how much I drink!
We were prepared for the next weekend as we had some company arranged. :cheers: