beer prices

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
Doggles
Rookie
Rookie

Re: beer prices

Post by Doggles »

richard wrote:Soi 80 has some happy hour bars. There are girls but if your reading a newspaper they will leave you alone
Thanks again for all your advice. Just about got accommodation, beers and food sorted for my little stay in HH.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Doggles wrote:
Pleng wrote:
A good bar to watch the world go by is Retrophillia, above the night market. But it's not particularly cheap. Montri, on the Hilton stretch, has decent prices of Chang beer (just be wary of the big glasses; they work out more expensive bt for bt than the small ones!)
Thanks will look out for them, is Chang beer still crazy strong? If so I don't think I'll be watching for long :o
I think it's 6.something% these days. I seem to recall it was 7+% when I first came here, 8 years ago?

Singha is weaker at 5% but, unfortunately, also usually a fair bit more expensive.
Doggles
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Doggles »

Pleng wrote: I think it's 6.something% these days. I seem to recall it was 7+% when I first came here, 8 years ago?

Singha is weaker at 5% but, unfortunately, also usually a fair bit more expensive.
Yes 7+% sounds right. The urban myth on Khao San Road all those years ago was that it contained amphetamines too, which is why they apparently cannot sell it back in Europe.
So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

I think that was Red Bull.

Chang and Singha are both readily available in Europe. I'd imagine that the reason they weren't available 7 years ago (well they just started gaining presence around that time) was a much more boring reason to do market size and margins! :)
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

With all the great beers in Europe, why would anyone choose to drink Singha and/or Chang? Perhaps a tourist reminiscing about a fun vacation, or a loyal farang with a Thai family. They're indeed a conversation piece to have on hand at a party, but I can't understand anyone making it their beer of choice there. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

If you're a lager drinker, they're all pretty much the same. Singha and Chang are just about as good as any other brand and, yea, nice to reminisce with.
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Post by Winkie »

Chang Classic 6.4%
Export 5%
Draught 5%
Light 4.2%
Only the crumbliest, flakiest Winkie....
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

prcscct wrote:With all the great beers in Europe, why would anyone choose to drink Singha and/or Chang? Perhaps a tourist reminiscing about a fun vacation, or a loyal farang with a Thai family. They're indeed a conversation piece to have on hand at a party, but I can't understand anyone making it their beer of choice there. Pete :cheers:
Yes Pete, here they're sold in Thai restaurants and cafes and in Asian supermarkets and the main reason that people buy them is to go with Thai food in the same way that Indian restaurants sell Cobra beer.
I was in a Thai cafe here a couple of weeks ago and they even had a bottle of Mehkong behind the bar but I noticed it was still nearly full!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I haven't looked at a bottle of Mekhong in ages but it used to have a date printed on the inside of the label that you could only see by looking through from the back face of the bottle. I forget if it was a bottle date or a use by date. I've been told the stuff can get toxic if left too long, especially if opened. One whiskey that doesn't age well. :D Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I'm hoping that it was more decor than a serious attempt to sell me a drink!
bajm

Post by bajm »

prcscct wrote:With all the great beers in Europe, why would anyone choose to drink Singha and/or Chang?
When we have a Thai diner party, we like to serve Singha beer for the atmosphere.
I can buy Singha beer in an oriental shop for € 0,95 (38 Baht), which is still 3 times more expensive then e.g. Heineken.
Of course I also have several Dutch and Belgian beers in my fridge as well. (except Heineken)
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Pleng wrote:If you're a lager drinker, they're all pretty much the same to the taste. Singha and Chang are just about as good as any other brand and, yea, nice to reminisce with.
Doggles
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Doggles »

Pleng wrote:I think that was Red Bull.

Chang and Singha are both readily available in Europe. I'd imagine that the reason they weren't available 7 years ago (well they just started gaining presence around that time) was a much more boring reason to do market size and margins! :)
Had also heard the same story about Sangsom, I admit you do have crazy dreams after a night on the buckets.

Only really drink lager on holiday and Singha is my weapon of choice after realising I cannot take the Chang.
So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome.
Doggles
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Doggles »

STEVE G wrote: Yes Pete, here they're sold in Thai restaurants and cafes and in Asian supermarkets and the main reason that people buy them is to go with Thai food in the same way that Indian restaurants sell Cobra beer.
I was in a Thai cafe here a couple of weeks ago and they even had a bottle of Mehkong behind the bar but I noticed it was still nearly full!
The Cobra is all marketing, I think its all brewed in the UK. Best thing for a spicy curry is either a flat ale or a glass of wine. The fizz in the lager makes the spices worse on the tongue.
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

Doggles wrote:
Pleng wrote: I think it's 6.something% these days. I seem to recall it was 7+% when I first came here, 8 years ago?

Yes 7+% sounds right. The urban myth on Khao San Road all those years ago was that it contained amphetamines too, which is why they apparently cannot sell it back in Europe.
doggles,
I don't think Chang would have splashed out big money to advertise on Everton shirts if the brew was not available in the UK.
I was a Chang drinker but like many of my friends, have switched over to Leo. Singha has a nasty taste (to me) reminding me of Labatt's (Canadian) which is a filtered version of weasel piss.
Happiness can't buy money