Out at night in Thailand

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
tonyridesahd
Rookie
Rookie

Out at night in Thailand

Post by tonyridesahd »

Don't want to sound like a party pooper, but I have not been to Thailand before so I am a rookie. Just would like to know how safe it is in the evenings to be out and about walking? And if you should carry a wallet or just keep the money in your front pocket? Granted, I am from Baltimore, not exactly a model city by any means, but every area has it's good and bad, so any suggestions from you veterans out there would be well appreciated!
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Out at night in Thailand

Post by richard »

Depends on what you are into and never flash your wad

Personally I only carry cash (no cards) and a copy of my passport and a note of my residence

Thailand is basically safer than most of the globe IMO providing you are streetwise
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

If you search the forum you will find the answers.
Please read here: http://www.huahinafterdark.com/forum/vi ... =3&t=11183
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

Use common sense and don't venture into dark, unknown areas.
Don't flash your cash. Leave the bulging, visible wallet at home, carry paper money in several different pockets with closures. Keep large and small denominations in separate pockets. Don't lose your temper over 20 baht, let them win the small stuff - its not worth a nasty situation.
Happiness can't buy money
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I've been to Baltimore, and the same rules apply whether there, Thailand, LA or anywhere.

Others have already passed good advice, I'll add stay away from dark alleys, don't get totally s**tfaced (or at least have one semi sober person around).

As mentioned don't sweat the small stuff and use common sense, you'll have a great time!!! :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

don't get totally s**tfaced
Oh dear iv'e failed on that point so mant times... :laugh:
www.35mmview.com
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

RANDY :lach: :lach: :lach: :lach: Me too
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

Randy Cornhole wrote:
I saw it once... not pretty! :thumb: :cheers:
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Randy Cornhole wrote:
I don't say I do it, simply advise it!! :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Post by Jimbob »

A 'dry run' in daylight to the area in mind is always useful. Get some landmarks known, interesting to see how tacky daylight makes some bars look, especially in BKK. Early evening is a good introduction time
:thumb:
tonyridesahd
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tonyridesahd »

Again, great advice and we look forward to discovering Hua Hin during the day and evenings. We are both well traveled but have not been to Thailand yet, so we are really looking forward to this trip and new experiences.

Take care everyone and have a great day!
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

To get into trouble you have to do something monumentally stupid and disrespectful.

Don't carry lots of cash and get stupidly pissed-up.

Actually, to be honest, I'd be more careful of other foreigners than the locals. They are more mouthy, belligerent with too many opinions and issues, the locals just want your business, a smile and a "goodbye" is what you'll get barring something you try to pull that is stupid.

Mostly with the locals, the only real danger you are in is that of being overcharged for stuff/services.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
velboy
Amateur
Amateur

Post by velboy »

A tale of woe to act as warning

A friend of mine was out a few weeks ago and got sh*tfaced. He took a girl from the London bar and on the way home stopped at the cash-point to get some money to pay the lady.

In his infinite wisdom he thought he would get some extra cash out because he needed to pay his rent and his motorbike rental the next day so withdrew 20,000.

He went back to the room and promptly passed out. Girl took his money and left. :D

He got the security footage from the hotel camera and tracked the girl back to the London Bar but hasn't done anything about it yet.
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

velboy wrote:A tale of woe to act as warning

A friend of mine was out a few weeks ago and got sh*tfaced. He took a girl from the London bar and on the way home stopped at the cash-point to get some money to pay the lady.

In his infinite wisdom he thought he would get some extra cash out because he needed to pay his rent and his motorbike rental the next day so withdrew 20,000.

He went back to the room and promptly passed out. Girl took his money and left. :D

He got the security footage from the hotel camera and tracked the girl back to the London Bar but hasn't done anything about it yet.
The 20K was the stupid tax. Welcome to Thailand.
velboy
Amateur
Amateur

Post by velboy »

It certainly was. I think he's learned his lesson.....until the next time :laugh: