Rate your favourite bar here please rate 1 10 and why?

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

So is the 120b+ for a beer on Walking Street not overcharging? :idea:
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

BaaBaa

NO I do not think that is over charging as it was probably in a Go Go Bar with an hours free entertainment or some other entertainment, although I actually paid Bht130 the other week.

I am against about 150% mark ups and that is on beer - what about Gin and Vodka that is over 400% in Hua Hin.
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

PET wrote:I am against about 150% mark ups and that is on beer - what about Gin and Vodka that is over 400% in Hua Hin
and Pattaya and Phuket and Samui and Bangkok and Krabi.

If locals begrudge paying 70 Baht+/- for a Thai beer in the centre of town in a main tourist resort then drink out of town, as some do. The simple fact is the bars/restaurants in town charge tourist prices because that's the main part of their income and rents dictate that.

It's nothing to do with bad financial planning, there is big mark-up's on everything (not just drink) the world over in tourist areas. There's 600% mark-up on spring rolls in the town centre restaurants, so does that mean the bars are actually under-charging :roll:

SJ
JD
Legend
Legend

Post by JD »

This thread is about rating your favourite bar from 1 - 10 and why.

:offtopic:

If you want to discuss beer prices and rent levels please start another thread or search and read any number of previous threads about the same topics.
Per Angusta In Augusta.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/huahinhamandbacon
www.hamandbacon.co.th
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

Geronimo Bar on Poolsuk.

Why?

Cold beer. No bar girl hassles. Run by a Brit who is always there and can hold an intelligent conversation about Punic war strategy or nihilist philosophy. No overcharging ever. Cheap. Good music and a massive selection to choose from. A wall of spirits to give Olly Reed a run for his money. Bryn the Boxer (dog). Attentive service. No fecking dvd/trinket/watch/flower sellers allowed in ever. Footy is always on, no music during key matches. After hours lock ins. "Withnail & I" or samurai film Pizza afternoons. Cabbages and Kings. Shabby lived in feeling of an old boys drinking club. Landlord is a mine of useful info and contacts, and a walking who's who of HH ex-pats. Known to carry overly drunk customers home to make sure they get there. My fizzog is on the wall of shame. No MIBs. The clock doesnt work. The other clientelle are my sort of people - bar flys.

Scores a 9. My second home from home.
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

honourable metions or silver medal - EL MURPHYS

possibly the best slab of steak this side of the Grenwich Meridian. Freezy cold larger on tap. Footy is on while I consume said cow. Chips cooked properly (brown). Music is second to none care of the best band in HH. Like the decor and set up. Attentive and helpful staff. Run properly.

If it aint a Murf steak its just overpriced, undersized, overdressed shoe leather. Accept no substitute.

:cheers:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

PET wrote:Thaiorchid - I don't know whats got up yours ?

My point was if Pattaya bars can sell for so much less why not in HH?

If it is because the bar owners are paying too much rent then that is their problem - don't try and recoup from a bad financial plan by overcharging the punters.
PET :?

I was paying Baht 70 for a Heineken or Singha back in 2001 in Bintabaht, so if the bars in HH are charging that now in 2009, I would say that is value for money.

How many bars in Crappaya are closing down daily because they are going broke?

Go off the beaten track where rents ETC are cheaper and you will find lower prices.

Personally, I never minded paying the higher prices for the entertainment of watching life in Bintabaht. :D
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Khundon1975 wrote:I was paying Baht 70 for a Heineken or Singha back in 2001 in Bintabaht
Really, thats a surprise as I recall it as being cheaper than that (Singha). I was actually taken aback, but not surprised, at being charged 70 baht in April last year - the baht then was 60 to the pound, though accepted it. But at bars like Mai Tai and their ilk, it was cheaper.
Talk is cheap
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

In the rainbow bar back then, either were Baht70 a pop. :)
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Can still get a large on binta for 90b!
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Over the years I have drifted to Romantic Bar....I like Chris and most of the girls have been there for a while and friendly and don't hassle you. I think it is a good place to watch the goings on on Bint for a Bart
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

Some people nark at beer prices because they're still carrying toilet-bound sterling around in their heads. Wake up.
Happiness can't buy money
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Rate your favourite bar here please rate 1 10 and why

Post by margaretcarnes »

Railway Bar. If it's still there! gets an 8 for simple Thai-ness, with good staff, good food, and it's end of market watch the world go by factor.
The only downside now is the risk of a stray railway carriage or 3 squashing the place.
Price is irrelevant really. If people find prices in a certain bar too high they don't go there - full stop.
Jailhouse gets the same score for much the same reasons, (minus the railway carriages) and also for the ever attentive presence of it's farang owner - and 'NoName' of course.
The thing about farang run bars - Binta or not - is the need for the farang to be there. 'Cheers' and both 'Friendlys' plus a couple of others used to tick that box, but people move on.
For ChaAm it's Paradise getting a 7 for it's great 'mine hostess' and farang company.
BTW - has anyone considered that low prices in Pattaya might just sometimes be due to owners who have other sources of income and really don't need to make a profit?
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

PET - some places sell draft beer at 50 bt in town, think that 70 bt is a fair price for a beer in a decent bar. Very few bars could survive charging 50bt.
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

johnnyk wrote:Some people nark at beer prices because they're still carrying toilet-bound sterling around in their heads. Wake up.
Eh enough of that, the queens pound is on the way up. The last couple of days anyway :D
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip