how safe at night

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
den

how safe at night

Post by den »

hi all how safe is it walking around at night in hua hin thanks
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

Hi Den, to put it in perspective, where you from back home ?

It's safe basically in middle of town, there's a couple of areas of Thai drinking places out of town where its best to be in taxi/tuk-tuk.

But safer than anywhere I've ever lived.

SJ
Last edited by Super Joe on Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've never stayed anywhere further out of town than Soi Grand Hotel, but I've never felt threatened walking home at any time during the hours of darkness.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
den

Post by den »

is there ever any trouble in town thanks mate
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

Trying to help you Den but you're ignoring my question.

Trouble for sure, a cat (mostly black with white under its chin) got its right back leg stuck in a rainwater downpipe outside my mates bar, we got a stepladder out and everything.
Can't recall anything else in the past 5 years.

SJ
den

Post by den »

thanks guys thats what i wont to hear so me the wife can walk around safe thanks
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

Its like anywhere in the world. If you act like an arse and go looking for trouble you will most likely find it.
I would rather go walking around Hua Hin at night than Croydon any day of the week. In the big sceme of things I would consider Hua Hin as safe a place as any... :D
www.35mmview.com
bluezephyr
Professional
Professional

Post by bluezephyr »

2 friends of mine were walking near the train station early hours and a car pulled up with 4 thais, They got out and walked towards them, but when they noticed they had a Thai girl with them they just asked for a lighter for their ciggarettes!!.

Ive personally never had any trouble, I think its quite safe but i try and keep an eye on whats going on around me.

Dont invite it and it wont come to you :thumb:
Mai ow Khup, Pom Ki Neow :)
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

how safe at night

Post by margaretcarnes »

Agree with Randy and Zeph there Den. There was a spate of trouble about a year ago with farangs on motorbikes being targetted, but the police were intent on sorting out, and there doesn't seem to have been any repeat for months.
In any case that was in an area where tourists wouldn't normally get to, and certainly not in the town centre.
I was there for 2 months at the end of last year and didn't stay in the centre, but safety wise it felt no different from years back. No problem. Plenty of people now venturing much further on foot at night than they did 5 years ago in fact, as the town has grown.
As the guys have said - just be sensible and get on and enjoy!
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

... and all that sort of trouble I've heard about was always in lonely places in the wee hours after bar closings.

This town seems extremely safe to me (other than home burglaries), but then I never stay out late/early morning.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Den,
Your biggest danger is the high curbs and drains, in the dark after a few wets they are a potential ankle or knee injury / leg breaker they have challenged me once or twice after a very long day. :wink:
Kendo.
:cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
nevets
Guru
Guru

Post by nevets »

I live out in the sticks and its very safe here , why does it change in Thai Farangdom.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Hi Den
As most of the posters have said it is very safe in Hua Hin provided you follow some basic rules.
Stick to well light areas with plenty of other people about.
Don't flash wads of cash.
As Kendo said watch out for those curbs and drains.
I'm sure you will feel safe and enjoy Hua Hin after dark.
Good luck and enjoy yourselfs. :P
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Hi Den
As most of the posters have said it is very safe in Hua Hin provided you follow some basic rules.
Stick to well light areas with plenty of other people about.
Don't flash wads of cash.
As Kendo said watch out for those curbs and drains.
I'm sure you will feel safe and enjoy Hua Hin after dark.
Good luck and enjoy yourselfs. :P
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
HHADFan
Professional
Professional

Post by HHADFan »

I have been out way too late and way too drunk in both the farang and Thai bar areas, with and without Thai friends, and I have never had a problem. Exercise just a modicum of common sense and you should be fine - given my state a few times, it doesn't take much common sense, just be friendly don't try to start a fight. Maybe take a tuk tuk or taxi home, though a motorbike taxi is probably fine, too.

HuaHin has its dark side, but I think crime is less here because the King lives here sometimes, and it's a small enough town for that to be important. He mostly lives here or in Bangkok. population somewhere over 6 million - here it's 50 -75 thousand, and when He's in town it is a big deal.

If you're going to get legless, let the girls in the bar know you have a wife/girlfriend who will come to pick you up. For me, the biggest danger here is long black hair, big dark eyes, and long shapely legs.. They get me in lots more trouble than thieves or muggers!