NFL In London?

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
pharvey

NFL In London?

Post by pharvey »

It's no doubt been proven over the years that one-off games certainly pull in the crowds - just look at a packed Wembley Stadium last year for the Jacksonville Jaguars vs Indianapolis Colts (as shown in the article). But a London based franchise? I simply can't see it working - take the London Monarchs as an ideal example.

Full Article: - https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/ ... ns-jaguars

Premiership Rugby are trying to grow the game in the States, but judging by last weekend (Newcastle vs Saracens - see https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/ ... ugby-dream), this is going to be a similar failure. One off International games such as NZ vs Ireland have proved a great success, but then........

Any thoughts on this? Pete?

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Re: NFL In London?

Post by PeteC »

I don't think any of the "crossovers" are going to work well long term except the one off special matches like Ireland/All Blacks or Ireland/England in Rugby etc. The only reason pro soccer is seen as a partial success is because of the big Hispanic population. If someone would take a look I would bet they represent 70 - 80% of those attending matches and watching on TV. MLB, NFL and NBA have been entrenched forever and kids grow up gravitating towards those three. Even if they spend years of their free time playing organized youth soccer, most will lose interest by mid-teens. That's my take on things anyway. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

The role of football/soccer in the Us is very healthy-- Millions of boys and girls play the game and love it--OK there is minimal interest in highly priced professional football but what the hell--what is more important--kids playing the game or middle-aged people watching it?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The 2 go hand in hand. A paying public pays to develop footballers into better footballers. As the footballers become better, more people will pay more money to watch them play. The more people watch the game, the more people that will be encouraged to play it themselves.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

The problem with NFL is it doesn't promote sportsmanship or team. It promotes bad manners and encourages kids not to waste time studying in school.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

When the new stadium at White Hart Lane opens there will be a permanent home for NFL in London - courtesy of Spurs..........
Check it out here
http://new-stadium.tottenhamhotspur.com/nfl
trevorcasto
Rookie
Rookie

Post by trevorcasto »

Hello,
It is true that many children are interested in the FNL and want to look like players known around the world. I encourage children to play because it is a sport that makes them spend a lot and I think it's important