"Minor" sports?

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

"Minor" sports?

Post by oakdale160 »

In the last few weeks--Wimbledon come and gone, Open Championship at Birkdale come and gone, Tour de France come and gone and not one word about either three on the forum.
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Re: "Minor" sports?

Post by Felipesed1 »

No word about real sports like MotoGP, TT or WRC either!
Possibly because there are other discussion sites. This is "supposed" to be about Huahin, though it seems to me that very few of the regular posters even live in Thailand, let alone Huahin!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

But there are very busy threads about English Football which is not played in Thai. Guess there is not a critical mass for these other sports.
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Post by Felipesed1 »

Yes, I know. It is sad that a sordid business like professional football can attract so much attention.
buksida

Post by buksida »

There are MotoGP and TT threads here:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9153
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=23859

By all means revive them! It seems everyone on here is obsessed with football!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Post by Felipesed1 »

Thanks for reminding me of their existence.
If one is interested in m/c racing, rallying or whatever then I prefer to go to dedicated sites on that subject.
Hopefully a MotoGP round will be held at Buriram next year, so that might generate some interest.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

I plan to attend MotoGP when it comes to Thailand.
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Post by Felipesed1 »

There is an agreement to hold it next year, but the date has not been fixed yet. A lot of juggling to do as there could be 20 rounds next, 2 more than this year.
buksida

Post by buksida »

The thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=34229
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

The work and money needed to stage a trial, the work involved in agreeing or not agreeing with extradition requests.
The bad publicity for years. Now, miraculously, all that is avoided. bad publicity for a couple of weeks, max.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Re:

Post by arcadianagain »

Felipesed1 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:05 am Yes, I know. It is sad that a sordid business like professional football can attract so much attention.
Maybe it`s because it is the most popular sport in the world and most members here have supported their team since before the sport became "sordid"
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Post by Felipesed1 »

Popular game, not sport, because it is pushed down people throats all the time and has been turned into the new "opium for the masses".
People should check out other sports, not motor sports because I understand some people are not interested in them, like hurling for example.
That is a team game, using a "ball", but, unlike soccer, requires great skill and courage.
Fencing, ability, speed, fitness but requires more knowledge of the rules for the spectators to appreciate it.
Probably hockey as well, but I don't know much about it.
Do you really believe that the huge salaries paid to footballers are justifiable, considering the minimal ability required, and the unlikelihood of serious injury?
caller
Hero
Hero

Re:

Post by caller »

Felipesed1 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:46 pm Popular game, not sport, because it is pushed down people throats all the time and has been turned into the new "opium for the masses".
Do you realise how many people play football and have done for a couple of centuries? How there have been versions of the game played for long before the rules were formalised. Do you know how many people give up their time around the world, freely and generously, to assist those who want to play, at all age groups? It is a true sport requiring fitness, skill, application and bravery, just look beyond the top level and it is all there, functioning as it always has done. Its the Worlds most popular sport for a reason and has been since well before the modern age of saturation coverage of the top level.
Talk is cheap
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Post by Felipesed1 »

I do not share your opinion!
How many other sports have you tried, watched?
caller
Hero
Hero

Re:

Post by caller »

Felipesed1 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:22 pm I do not share your opinion!
How many other sports have you tried, watched?
Played: Football, rubgy, cricket, tennis, badminton, basketball, Squash / fives, golf, rounders, swimming, jogging / running.

Watched live: Football at all levels, rubgy, rugby league, cricket (inc. WC in Oz 1992), tennis, volleyball, basketball, athletics, horse racing,

Does bull fighting count?

There are probably others.
Talk is cheap