Premier League 2017-2018

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Premier League 2017-2018

Post by caller »

redzonerocker wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:03 pmbut he didn't merit a regular starting place with us and certainly won't with Chelsk. :tsk:
Neither does Bakayako but he seems to get a game every week - and he has a bad habit of giving the ball away in positions the opposition score from! :cuss:
Talk is cheap
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

redzonerocker wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:03 pmbut he didn't merit a regular starting place with us and certainly won't with Chelsk. :tsk:
caller wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:21 pmNeither does Bakayako but he seems to get a game every week - and he has a bad habit of giving the ball away in positions the opposition score from! :cuss:
We've got a few players like that and they get regular starts too. :?

0-3 at home to Bournemouth, now that is a real shocker :shock: . . . . even more so when it was your IKTS banker :cuss: :banghead:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

After the unfair result last weekend between United and Liverpool I can't help myself being extremly satisfied seeing Man U leave Champions League after a piss poor performance. Mourinho's way to play football is utterly not entertainig at all, and the big Pogba and Sanchez stars start to look like waste of money 🤣🤣🤣
YNWA
AsAw
Rookie
Rookie

Post by AsAw »

Any Everton supporters here?
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Sky News reporting Wenger will leave Arsenal at the end of this season!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Arsene Wenger to step down as Arsenal manager

https://thewest.com.au/sport/english-pr ... b88813097z

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says he will leave his position at the end of the season after more than 22 years in charge.

The English Premier League manager made the surprise announcement on Friday morning despite having signed a two-year contract extension in the off season.

A number of fans at the club have been calling for the Frenchman’s head for the past few seasons, with the former powerhouse dropping out of the league’s coveted top four.

"After careful consideration and following discussions with the club, I feel it is the right time for me to step down at the end of the season," Wenger said.

"I am grateful for having had the privilege to serve the club for so many memorable years. I managed the club with full commitment and integrity.

"I want to thank the staff, the players, the Directors and the fans who make this club so special. I urge our fans to stand behind the team to finish on a high."To all the Arsenal lovers take care of the values of the club."

Arsenal majority owner Stan Kroenke has also spoken out on Wenger’s exit.
"This is one of the most difficult days we have ever had in all our years in sport," he says.
"One of the main reasons we got involved with Arsenal was because of what Arsene has brought to the club on and off the pitch," Kroenke said.

"His longevity and consistency over such a sustained period at the highest level of the game will never be matched.

"Arsene has unparalleled class and we will always be grateful to him. Everyone who loves Arsenal and everyone who loves football owes him a debt of gratitude."

Last season Arsenal finished the season outside the Champions League spots for the first time under Wenger’s reign, while this year they sit sixth in the league with five games to play.

Wenger claimed Arsenal’s first ever double after his first full season in charge and went on to win multiple league and cup titles.

The north-London outfit also has the chance to win the Europa League this year - heading into the semi finals of the second tier European competition.

Wenger has won three Premier League titles and three FA Cups during his time at Arsenal, and is the Premier League’s current longest serving manager having taken charge of 823 games.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Well, I've been warning that Arsenal fans may get what they wish for. That's a pretty big act to follow - if his replacement is half as good, I'd be surprised.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Empires rise and fall. That is the natural way. Football teams stay, managers and players go, the team remains. I just wonder will the whiners ever go.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:44 pm Well, I've been warning that Arsenal fans may get what they wish for. That's a pretty big act to follow - if his replacement is half as good, I'd be surprised.
We certainly have and it's been long overdue.
Can't wait for the new era to begin. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Lets think, who has had experience in following a long-serving icon-- I've got it David Moyes.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

oakdale160 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:17 am Lets think, who has had experience in following a long-serving icon-- I've got it David Moyes.
Is there a point to your post? :?
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

Glad and sad at the same time. No doubt that what Wenger has done for Arsenal football club has been special.

The last 5/6 years have been hard to watch from a footballing perspective. Failures to sure up areas of the team, specifically the defense has been frustrating.

As a coach Wenger has been past it for some time.

As a man he will always remain a class act.

Bring on the next era. Don’t think it will be easy but at least the club can begin to move in the right direction again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I honestly think he'll be a hard act to follow, and it's going to take a while for the Spuds/Arse gap to close.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:11 pm I honestly think he'll be a hard act to follow, and it's going to take a while for the Spuds/Arse gap to close.
I think it depends on how much the board will be prepared to spend. Wenger has been woeful in securing quality defenders, that has to be the priority, irrespective of what formation eventually emerges under a new manager.

But generally, the days of a top team, or a top two are over and Wengers rise saw them neck and neck with United back in the day, then Chelsea entered the fray, then City and now the scousers and Spuds and Arsenal have dropped down the pecking order and even Utd under Mouriho, whilst 2nd, have never really looked title contenders.

I think it will be hard for one team to dominate the way that United once did and no-one has won back to back titles since United in 2008/9.
Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

caller wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:57 pm
Big Boy wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:11 pm I honestly think he'll be a hard act to follow, and it's going to take a while for the Spuds/Arse gap to close.
I think it depends on how much the board will be prepared to spend. Wenger has been woeful in securing quality defenders, that has to be the priority, irrespective of what formation eventually emerges under a new manager.

But generally, the days of a top team, or a top two are over and Wengers rise saw them neck and neck with United back in the day, then Chelsea entered the fray, then City and now the scousers and Spuds and Arsenal have dropped down the pecking order and even Utd under Mouriho, whilst 2nd, have never really looked title contenders.

I think it will be hard for one team to dominate the way that United once did and no-one has won back to back titles since United in 2008/9.
This seasons not over yet, but as it stands, I can’t see any team challenging City for the title next year - even if a few of the chasing teams make big investments, it’s unlikely to result in a major challenge in the first year, maybe 2019/20?