National Coach Zico Resigns

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Big Boy

National Coach Zico Resigns

Post by Big Boy »

I apologise in advance to our Thai members, because some of what I write might be offensive to you. It is not intended to offend, simply give an 'outsider's view' of what has happened.

Looking at Social Media, I'm assuming Thailand Football Coach Zico has fallen on his sword following the recent defeat away to Japan. In my personal opinion, although he has clearly been a very popular leader, he hasn't performed at the higher level. Football goes way beyond what happens on the field.

Now, it's rumoured he has been earning 2M Baht/month as Thailand coach. We have to consider his achievements, and compare to a European National Coach. Yes he's had some success, but at a low level.

He recently took Thailand through the 1st World Cup qualifying round quite comfortably. However, now that Thailand have made it through to the 2nd round (equivalent to European qualifying rounds) the performance has been akin to the likes of San Marino, Gibraltar or Luxembourg in Europe. Thailand are bottom of their group, and looking up their group, the opposition will only be in Russia to make up the numbers.

Now hopefully Thailand can turn this to their advantage. Their supporters are already world class, and they have a very good national stadium. Having watched the youth leagues last year as well, the youth policy is first class. They now need a coach who has the balls to stand up to the hierarchy and reform. There is no doubt about the players skills, but the Thai leagues are atrocious - often dominated by poor refereeing. He needs to lead (or greatly influence) the way the National Team moves forward.

At the moment, teams seem to play to whatever rules the referee brings with them. There is no consistency, and players play to a different set of rules each week. OK, admittedly there are vast similarities to the way the game should be played, but it's not the same. If Thailand are to succeed, they have to play to the correct rules week in, week out. This is the type of thing the new coach has to clamp down on. It might take a season or 2, but consistency would definitely improve the way they play.

OK, I mainly watch the lower leagues, but I've seen similar inconsistencies at all levels here.

It's too late for next year's World Cup, but the coach should be employed for the 2022 World Cup. Don't let him get stifled by Thailand's footballing elite - reform, reform, reform. They may not win the 2022 World Cup, but hopefully they will achieve their potential.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: National Coach Zico Resigns

Post by caller »

I don't think Thai football is anywhere near good enough to compete at a higher level. I used to watch the Swat Cats and the only players who really impressed me were not Thai. Lee Tuck was a star turn!

But I agree about the administration of Thai football. It's shocking and almost being made up as they go along. The best game I saw was the Swat Cats v Buriram in front of a crowd of over 34,000 - in excess of 7,000 more than the official capacity and it was scary!
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The supporters are World Class, and although they have their moments, violence due rivalry is minimal.

The new coach has to have the balls to steer his peers to raise the level of Thai football. I'm not sure there is such a beast in Thailand, and if there is, would the hierarchy employ him anyway? Class wars rule here.

?There is no way Thailand are going to take the football world by storm, but they have an excellent youth programme (better than anything I was aware of in the UK) and the future must be looking bright. I see no reason why Thailand can't improve to the level of Japan or Australia and at least make it to the World Cup Finals 2022.

Do they have a coach with balls, and if the appoint him, will he be allowed to lead?

Points 41; Position 18
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

Too be fair to Zico,he has had some success with the national team but a disappointing World Cup campaign.
But if you haven't got the standard of players what can you do ?
Personally,I would rate him higher than most of the elderly ex European coaches Thailand has employed in the past....just my opinion,though ! :wink:
We're all on our uppers,we're all going skint,
I used to suck fat cigars but now I suck Polo mints.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm not disagreeing, but he's had his time.

The point is where do they go now? They could easily drop back to where they were. As is often the case here, whoever gets the job might be a yes man, and go with whatever the guys at the top of Thai football say. However, they also have the chance to improve on what Zico achieved by appointing the right man, and giving him a free hand to dictate how Thai football needs to be.

Unfotunately, Thailand being Thailand, the former will be the case, and they'll appoint a yes man.

Points 41; Position 18
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

Wenger could well be available !! :D
We're all on our uppers,we're all going skint,
I used to suck fat cigars but now I suck Polo mints.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:14 amI see no reason why Thailand can't improve to the level of Japan or Australia and at least make it to the World Cup Finals 2022.
That's a big ask!

FIFA currently ranks Japan at 51, Australia at 55 and Thailand at 127.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

You have to have goals/ambition - they aren't as bad as that sounds :wink:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:31 pm You have to have goals/ambition - they aren't as bad as that sounds :wink:
Which one, or both?! :laugh:

goal
ɡōl/
noun
plural noun: goals
(in football, soccer, rugby, hockey, and some other games) a pair of posts linked by a crossbar and often with a net attached behind it, forming a space into or over which the ball has to be sent in order to score.
the object of a person's ambition or effort; an aim or desired result.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Milovan Rajevac new Thailand football coach

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... ball-coach

The Football Association of Thailand (FAT) has appointed front-runner Milovan Rajevac from Serbia the new head coach of the national football team.

He will start work on May 4, before Thailand's next scheduled match, against the United Arab Emirates, in a World Cup qualifier in Bangkok on June 13.

The announcement of the new coach for the War Elephants was made at a packed press conference by FAT technical chief Witthaya Laohakul. 

Rajevac, 63, will replace Thai coach Kiatisak Senamuang. who stepped down on March 31 following heavy defeats in World Cup qualifiers.

Thailand are out of contention for a ticket to Russia 2018 after six losses and one draw in Group B of Asia's final qualifying round, with three games remaining.

Rajevac steered Ghana to the quarter-finals of the 2010 World Cup. He has also coached Qatar and Algeria and is renowned for instilling discipline.

According to reports, his asking salary was two million baht a month - the same amount the FAT paid Kiatisak.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!