2016 Rio Olympics

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
PeteC

2016 Rio Olympics

Post by PeteC »

We need a thread for this I guess, although so far it's been nothing but bad news after bad news. I wish the athletes well. I don't wish Olympic management well who decided to hold it in a 3rd world country which is no where near ready or capable of hosting such an event. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Re: 2016 Rio Olympics

Post by PeteC »

Rio 2016: Jaguar in Amazon torch relay shot dead

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-36593573?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

prcscct wrote:Rio 2016: Jaguar in Amazon torch relay shot dead

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-36593573?
What a tragedy and all for some self serving publicity stunt :bullshit:
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

prcscct wrote:We need a thread for this I guess, although so far it's been nothing but bad news after bad news. I wish the athletes well. I don't wish Olympic management well who decided to hold it in a 3rd world country which is no where near ready or capable of hosting such an event. Pete :cheers:
When Rio was awarded the games Brazil was seen to be an up and coming economy. The World Cup seemed to go ok, but then, Blatter was in charge :oops: Since then of course there is the health scare and the tales of venues not ready.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The info I have so far which I'm sure is no where near complete:

1) Rio just ran out of money and stopped all preparations. Fed Gov I think sent down suitcases of cash.

2) Two athletes that I've read about have been robbed at gun point. One I believe is a para-Olympian who was in a wheel chair or special bike?

3) Antibiotic resistant bacteria from sewage has been found in the water where swimmers and boaters will be competing. Not just a little bit but huge amounts of it.

4) The Zika problem, where we really can't blame Brazil. Two cases in a 14 and 13 year old in Chiang Mai today so it's everywhere it appears.

I'm an equal opportunity critic and I look for positive stories each day. I'll post when I find any. Pete :cheers:
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

Rory McIlroy has pulled out citing the Zika Virus scare
lovedogs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lovedogs »

What day does it start, and does anyone know if True Vision TV will have a dedicated channel?
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Hope the ban is upheld for Russian athletes at Rio.....

"Russia operated a state-sponsored doping programme at the Sochi Winter Olympics in 2014, claims a new report.

An investigation commissioned by the World Anti-Doping Agency says Russia's sports ministry "directed, controlled and oversaw" the manipulation of urine samples provided by its athletes.

The commission looked into allegations made by the former head of Russia's national anti-doping laboratory.

Grigory Rodchenkov claimed he doped dozens of athletes before the Games.

The two-month investigation was led by Dr Richard McLaren, who said he had "unwavering confidence" in his findings.

The damning report will fuel calls for a complete ban on Russia from the 2016 Summer Olympics, which get under way in Rio de Janeiro on 5 August."

More to follow from BBC.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Seems the IOC will confirm a total ban on Russia competing in the Rio Olympics (and damn right too) - however it has been rumoured that individual athletes who have proved "negative" to doping, may be able to compete under the Olympic Flag.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Sadly it seems the cheating barstewards have got away with it after all..... :cuss: :banghead: :roll:

"The World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) is "disappointed" its recommendation to ban Russia from next month's Olympic Games in Rio has been rejected.

Following the country's doping scandal, the International Olympic Committee has left it up to individual sports' federations to ban Russian competitors.

Wada "stands by" its recommendation last month of a full Russia team ban.

And Wada chief Olivier Niggli said the IOC's decision will "inevitably" mean "lesser protection for clean athletes".

Wada president Sir Craig Reedie said investigators had "exposed, beyond a reasonable doubt, a state-run doping program in Russia that seriously undermines the principles of clean sport embodied within the World Anti-Doping Code".

There was also concern expressed for Yuliya Stepanova, the Russian runner whose evidence helped expose her nation's doping scandal, but will now not be allowed to compete in Rio under a neutral flag.

"Wada has been very vocal in supporting Yuliya's desire to compete as an independent athlete," added Niggli.

"Ms Stepanova was instrumental in courageously exposing the single biggest doping scandal of all time. Wada is very concerned by the message that this sends whistleblowers for the future.""

Very weak call IMHO....