Premier League 2016-2017

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Re: Premier League 2016-2017

Post by Zidane »

caller wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:07 am Ooooh, I enjoyed the footy today! Men against boy's - lol!
Ooooh,I enjoyed the footy today! Men against boy's - :laugh: except this time the boys ran you ragged ! :rasta:
Chelsea had no answer to the pace of Rashford and Costa and Hazard played like they know they will be elsewhere next season.
Uniteds win has given The Spuds a bit of a sniff of the title but still Chelsea's to lose.....

Now,if Tottenham were to give Chelsea a bit of a pasting in the FA Cup semi final........... :blues:
We're all on our uppers,we're all going skint,
I used to suck fat cigars but now I suck Polo mints.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Zidane wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:34 pm Ooooh,I enjoyed the footy today! Men against boy's - :laugh: except this time the boys ran you ragged ! :rasta:
Chelsea had no answer to the pace of Rashford and Costa and Hazard played like they know they will be elsewhere next season.
HaHa, a deserved touché!

But as ever, I have a different take on it! United deserved to win but that was all about Chelsea being terrible, collectively, rather than anything United did. A really strange and worrying performance.

I think Hazard will remain at Chelsea, he is a young father of 2 (3?) and his family seems very settled in leafy Surrey. Costa I'm not fussed about. He has been very poor for the past few weeks and needs to be more consistent and is just too much trouble.
Talk is cheap
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

I'm looking forward to the FA Cup semi-final, should be a close one me thinks.

I can't see Chelski blowing the league, second place would be great.The football being played by Tottenham is the best I've seen in 50+ years, entertainment at it's finest if your a spurs fan. Roll on the new stadium and more of the same.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

JimmyGreaves wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:12 pm I'm looking forward to the FA Cup semi-final, should be a close one me thinks.

I can't see Chelski blowing the league, second place would be great.The football being played by Tottenham is the best I've seen in 50+ years, entertainment at it's finest if your a spurs fan. Roll on the new stadium and more of the same.
Totally agree
Have you noticed how quiet the Arse'fans have been.
When is St Totteridge's day this year? 8)
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

Terry wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:53 pm
Not a lot to shout about to be fair.
Just hope Wenger walks at the end of the season and we'll move on from there.

St Totteringhams day is cancelled once every 20 years, didn't you know that? :wink:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Terry wrote:
At least you didn't start shouting until now this year. You must have learnt something from the last 19 years. Do you want me to find the dates on those years? :D :D
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

[quote="Bamboo Grove"
At least you didn't start shouting until now this year. You must have learnt something from the last 19 years. Do you want me to find the dates on those years? :D :D
[/quote]

B.G. Don't take it persomaly, but you may have noticed that I hardly contribute to this forum these days - hence my lack of shouting. However that has not stopped me shouting elsewhere.

Suffice to say that I'm delighted that some of you will state that St Totteridge's day is to be cancelled.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I didn't take it personally but compared to many previous years, the Spuds camp has been quieter than before. There must have been a lesson learnt there somewhere.
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

Yes not much to shout about these days. A sorry state of affairs.

For all their noise about sustainable business models the Arsenal board appear to be so very disconnected with modern footballing times.

It may be a good few years before St. Totts day comes again.....guess we love had more that our fair share of that bonus over the years though.

Sent from my SM-J500G using Tapatalk

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Arsenal fans very quite.

For your pleasure

Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

JimmyGreaves wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 7:59 am Arsenal fans very quite.

We`re quite quiet because there`s nothing to make a noise about, the fact is Spurs are far and away better than Arsenal this season.

redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

:agree:
I just hope it's just another nudge towards the exit for Wenger. :cheers:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

Thierry Henry said it straight after the game on Sunday. He rightly admitted that Spurs are in great shape for the forseeable future.

However they now have to turn these performances into trophies and compete in the champions league instead of failing to progress from the group stages each time.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out for Spurs. I remember the period of Modric and Bale, Spurs were about to dominate their north London rivals.....until they sold their stars.

Whilst their on field potential is indeed great, their off field potential isn't perhaps so high.

It remains to be seen whether Spurs can retain their star players or if Levy will be tempted by the top money the likes of Alli and Kane could fetch. Or if he can afford to pay top money to retain them.

Whilst player contracts are in good shape, contracts are rarely honoured in football and loyalty doesn't exist.

Kane is on around £100k a week. If Man United offer him £250 a week I wonder what will happen to his loyalty.

Alli is reportedly on a measily £50k a week - barely a reserves salary at one of the bigger clubs.

This then asks, if Spurs do wish to extend contracts further and pay their top performers in line with other elite players just to keep them happy, how do they expect to finance these demands?

Match day revenues will increase along with some commercial benefits. However the new stadium doesn't come free and there will likely be a period where the additional cash flows are required for debt repayments.

Selling top players for good money is easy. Replacing them isn't.

All credit to Spurs for this season, they are playing some great football right now. They have one of the best managers in football and he will rightly take most of the credit for the way the team are playing.

I think all this 'North London is ours' nonsense is premature. It will take more than one season (that will end up trophyless anyway) before anyone can really take the claim seriously.

If only Wenger would just pack his bag.....
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

And don`t forget playing at Wembley hasn`t worked out too well so far