Ice-hockey WC 2016

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Bamboo Grove

Ice-hockey WC 2016

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Anybody else watching? Good first games for Canada, Czech and Finland, Sweden had to battle to win.
pharvey

Re: Ice-hockey WC 2016

Post by pharvey »

Bamboo Grove wrote:Anybody else watching? Good first games for Canada, Czech and Finland, Sweden had to battle to win.
Heared zero about it in the UK - not exactly on the top of the list for sports here. However, there are a few teams here and I did go to see the "Cardiff Devils" a couple of years back which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Will have to have a search to see if I can find some further info./streams - thanks for the heads up. :thumb:

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Can't say that I'm a real fan either. I watched my first few live matches/games in Ludwigsburg (Germany) a couple of years ago. I could not believe the speed when watched live. I coukd not follow the puck even before a beer or two, during the interval. What struck me was the rivalry between fans that was always friendly. The sheer power and force of the players.

A few great evenings that can not be reproduced on TV

Can't wait to see my next live game/match (whatever)
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

First really tough game tonight but even though the U.S.A controlled the game and came back from 0-2 to 2-2, we managed to score one more to win the game. This year Finland has gone really ice-hockey crazy after winning the u-18 and u-20 championships. Three games three wins, so far so good, still to play Canada in the first round games.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Are you watching on line? If so what site? :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

A Finnish TV channel is showing Finland's matches but I'm sure you can watch them with a stream as well. Haven't tried but I was able to watch Finnish ice-hockey league via streams last winter. Google ice-hockey live stream and then the match you want to watch.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

migrant wrote:Are you watching on line? If so what site? :cheers:
http://cricfree.tv/hockey-live-stream

migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

pharvey wrote:
migrant wrote:Are you watching on line? If so what site? :cheers:
http://cricfree.tv/hockey-live-stream

Perfect!!! Thanks!! :cheers: :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

On Sunday we beat Slovakia 5-0 and crowned the preliminary round with a solid 4-0 victory over the favourites, Canada, today. So far games played 7, won 7. Next Denmark in quarter-finals. So far what an amazing story.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Wouldn't be surprised if it came down to you and the Russians. That's probably happened before. :D Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

It looks like Finland vs Russia will be the semi-final match. Provided they both win their quarter-final matches.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

here a little stats from wiki

The Danish national men's ice hockey team is the national ice hockey team for Denmark. The team is controlled by Danmarks Ishockey Union. As of 2007 the Danish team was ranked 12th in the IIHF World Rankings. After not qualifying for a world championship since 1949, Denmark surprised many in 2003 by finishing in 11th place, including a tie game against that year's champions Canada.[1] Denmark currently has 4,255 players (0.07% of its population). Their coach is Swedish Janne Karlsson who replaced Per Bäckman. Denmark once held the record for the largest loss when they were defeated by Canada in 1949, 47–0, only being surpassed by New Zealand who were defeated by Australia 58–0 in 1987.

In 2003, Denmark was back in the elite pool of the IIHF World Championships after 54 years. The Danish national hockey team scored two historic, unexpected upsets in Tampere, Finland, defeating the United States 5–2 on 26 April 2003 and tied Canada 2–2 six days later on 2 May 2003. Denmark has remained in the top division ever since. At the 2010 World Championships Denmark finished 8th place, which is their best ever placing to date.

we gonna win Bamboo :twisted:

bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

And a little more stats

According to the International Ice Hockey Federation, Finland is the 39th most populated country among the 53 that are full members. It has 75,781 registered players and 260 indoor rinks servicing a population of about 5.5 million. Compare that to Germany, which has 16 times the number of people and almost as many indoor rinks at 202. But Germany has only 25,201 registered players and isn’t even in the same area code as Finland when it comes to winning medals and producing NHL players. Sweden, on the other hand, has about four million more people than Finland and 100 more indoor rinks, but has 15,000 fewer registered players.

we gonna win Bamboo :twisted:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The fun for me as a kid was playing hockey on a frozen pond/lake in the Pennsylvania winter, with a bonfire blazing on shore, and hot chocolate afterwards. What great fun! :D . They used to be some bruising and bloody nose events, and your legs and feet simply didn't work after about an hour on the ice! Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Bamboo Grove wrote:On Sunday we beat Slovakia 5-0 and crowned the preliminary round with a solid 4-0 victory over the favourites, Canada, today.
A Canadian friend of mine is what you might call "UPSET"!!