2016 F1 News and Prediction Tournament

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Re: 2016 F1 News and Prediction Tournament

Post by Pleng »

The new qualifying format was universally condemned by teams, drivers, and even commentators (who normally tow the company line of 'make it sound exciting whatever'). Almost everybody has called for a reversion to the old format by the next race.

Quite a few smug 'I told you so's from the drivers and team managers.

#fixf1
jjbones

Post by jjbones »

The new format was painful, a total backfire. With 5 minutes of Q3 left there wasn't a car on track, the Ferrari's accepting that the gap was too large to Mercedes and they may as well save tyres - Rosberg's engineers making the same decision and conceding pole to Hamilton - the FIA need to rethink this before the next GP.

And to think I got up at 5:30 am to watch it...sigh
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. - Mark Twain
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Rosberg didn't concede pole, both Mercs did 2 runs in Q3. The Ferraris, however, decided to save tyres and only did one run.

Damon Hill made the remark on Sky's coverage that there was so much time left at the end of the session with no cars on track, that Hamilton could have gone out to wave the chequred flag himself :)
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Qualifying might have been a heap of shite but the race certainly isn't

Good to see Alonso walk away from this..........
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Roseberg wins the opening race of the season. Hamilton wasn't himself today. Superbru hasn't updated their chart yet, I'll post it when they do.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/35854894

Parahandy had the best race with 17.0 points, Vital Spark with 15, and Big Boy with 14 to make up the top three.

Bahrain is next up on April 3, good luck to all! :thumb:

https://www.formula1.com/content/fom-we ... hrain.html

Qualifying
Saturday 2 Apr 18:00 (local)
Saturday 2 Apr 22:00 (Thai time)

Race
Sunday 3 Apr 18:00 (local)
Sunday 3 Apr 22:00 (Thai time)
phpI8NckZAM.jpg
phpI8NckZAM.jpg (69.2 KiB) Viewed 556 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here's a look at the pool standings from the detail chart:
php2J8H9mAM.jpg
php2J8H9mAM.jpg (63.98 KiB) Viewed 563 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

1 - Parahandy (Yellow Cap) 17.00
2 - Vital Spark 15.00
3 - BigBoy 14.00
4 - JJBones 13.50
5 - Terry 13.00
6 - pitsch 13.00
7 - redzonerocker 12.50
8 - mwbrown 12.50
9 - bsdk1960 12.00
10 - Pete 11.50
11 - pharvey 10.00
12 - lindosfan 10.00
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

The yellow cap is hidden in the back of a cupboard somewhere, so I had to improvise. Found a lovely yellow duster to put on Mr.VS's head (I shook the dust out first), managed to find an old can of Zero Coke at the back of the fridge (he's on a no-alcohol diet at the moment), and I let him shake it up a bit and spray it on the rather parched grass. I celebrated with a nice cool bottle of Archa - got the champagne on ice for the the next race.

VS ;)
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Both you and Mr. P have gotten off to a great start VS. You know how hard it is and how long it takes for someone to catch up once a player is 6-8 points ahead. You two are in the drivers seat, especially if you extend the lead over the next few races. Pete :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Sky buys exclusive rights to all Formula One

"All but one race, the British Grand Prix, will be available to pay-TV subscribers only, under deal running from 2019 until 2024".....

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/m ... ormula-one
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

prcscct wrote:Sky buys exclusive rights to all Formula One
"All but one race, the British Grand Prix, will be available to pay-TV subscribers only, under deal running from 2019 until 2024".....
What does that mean for here Pete? I could not find it on True TV last Sunday, but then I realised I had forgotten the time zone. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Nereus wrote:
prcscct wrote:Sky buys exclusive rights to all Formula One
What does that mean for here Pete? I could not find it on True TV last Sunday, but then I realised I had forgotten the time zone. :cheers:
It was on one of the TRUE Fox channels, I think 689 or 690. That will stop after this deal takes effect IMO, unless there is some cross licensing deal with TRUE, or you have a box that gives you access to SKY. Pete :cheers:

EDIT: However......FOX and SKY are linked in a way with Murdoch owning 39% of SKY. How that will equate to sports/F1 broadcasts under this new deal I don't know.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

F1 qualifying: New format remains in place after bosses disagree

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/35896875
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

prcscct wrote: It was on one of the TRUE Fox channels, I think 689 or 690. That will stop after this deal takes effect IMO, unless there is some cross licensing deal with TRUE, or you have a box that gives you access to SKY. Pete :cheers:

EDIT: However......FOX and SKY are linked in a way with Murdoch owning 39% of SKY. How that will equate to sports/F1 broadcasts under this new deal I don't know.
It's on FOX Sports here.

Nothing will change here. The article is about British broadcasting rights.
F1 qualifying: New format remains in place after bosses disagree
Absolutely Unbelievable... Makes you wonder if there'll be any viewers left by the time it leaves free-to-air in the UK, anyway!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Bahrain qualifying gets underway in a few hours. Alonso is out due to rib and lung injuries sustained in the crash two weeks ago. He is also questionable for China. McLaren will be using their backup driver, Stoffel Vandoorne, who has never driven an F1 race before. Pete :cheers: