BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
PeteC

BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Post by PeteC »

"..... The BBC Sports Personality of the Year event will be held in Glasgow on Sunday, 14 December at The SSE Hydro in front of an estimated 12,000 crowd.

The show will be broadcast live on BBC One, with the overall winner being voted for by the public on the night of the show......"

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/sports-personality/29711556
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2014 panel announced

Post by PeteC »

I'm undecided between Redzone Rocker and Pharvey. A bit of dosh may help persuade me? 8) At the same time I'm also thinking Joey Barton. :shock:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

The name of the award is a bit of a misnomer - he's by no means the only one to have won the award who doesn't have much of a personality, but Andy Murray as the Sports Personality of the year - I wish they would rename it to something like "Sporting Achievement of the Year Award".
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I'm wondering if the vote had gone the other way if it would still be in Glasgow?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Hamilton wins it. I wonder if he would have if he lost the Championship on the last race? Regardless, congrats to Lewis. :clap: Pete

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/sports-personality/30456847
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

prcscct wrote:Hamilton wins it. I wonder if he would have if he lost the Championship on the last race? Regardless, congrats to Lewis. :clap: Pete

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/sports-personality/30456847
I'm sure he wouldn't have, and second place Rory Mclroy would have been a deserving winner.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ If Mclroy has a good 2015 I'm sure he'll get it after being a runner-up so many times.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Watched it live last night and to be honest it was all Hamilton - a Mercedes F1 car was in front of the stage from the start (public voting didn't open until all "short-listed" stars had been introduced etc.).

For me the shortlist simply didn't include several of those who I thought deserving, but then again I guess biased for and against certain sports. Hamilton has obviously had a big year and I thought was gracious even humble in his acceptance - fair play and congrats on the award.

The award is "BBC Sports PERSONALITY Of The Year" - why therefore should it depend on achievements or awards?

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

pharvey wrote:The award is "BBC Sports PERSONALITY Of The Year" - why therefore should it depend on achievements or awards?
I think the personality bit went out the window when Nigel Mansell and Nick Faldo won it! :laugh:
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote:
pharvey wrote:The award is "BBC Sports PERSONALITY Of The Year" - why therefore should it depend on achievements or awards?
I think the personality bit went out the window when Nigel Mansell and Nick Faldo won it! :laugh:
You could well be right there DM.... :laugh:

[EDIT] Although Mansell's eyebrows had a personality of their own!!
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

pharvey wrote: The award is "BBC Sports PERSONALITY Of The Year" - why therefore should it depend on achievements or awards?

Well Hamiton is a very popular person, there are a lot of people who identify with his personality. To be fair, F1 is a minority sport compared to golf (not financially, of course!)

I know nothing about golf but some comments I saw on a Formula 1 forum, from followers of both spots, were that they didn't want to vote for Mclroy because he's apparently representing Ireland rather than the UK in some tournament next year?
PeteC

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2015

Post by PeteC »

Murray just won it for 2015. That's twice in 3 years. Pete :cheers:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2600 ... year-award
pharvey

Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Post by pharvey »

^ And deservedly so IMHO (although the "Personality" bit could be questioned!! :wink: :D ).