Ron Greenwood dies

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Ron Greenwood dies

Post by Wanderlust »

(From the BBC)
Ex-England manager Greenwood dies

Former England and West Ham manager Ron Greenwood has died at the age of 84 following a long illness.
Greenwood, who managed the national team between 1977 and 1982, died at his Suffolk home.

World Cup hero Sir Geoff Hurst said: "It would not be overstating the case to say that Ron was the single most influential figure in my career.

"He opened the door to the world of modern football and I consider it a privilege to play for him."

A true gentleman who was one of the first to introduce tactics and training from abroad, and who never disgraced himself in the way that the present England manager does. Took England to the World Cup in Spain 1982 after they had failed to do so in the previous two - we never lost a game at that tournament but still got knocked out because of injuries to key players in the early games (Kevin Keegan and Trevor Brooking, both at the peak of their careers). An absolute legend to West ham fans. RIP Ron.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I echo Wanderlusts sentiments - RG was a man of principle - in football and life. A rarity then and even more so now.

Also a member of Chelseas 1955 Championship winning team - a true legend.

A nice guy who succeeded.
Talk is cheap