Champions League 2013-14

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Champions League 2013-14

Post by caller »

I think Jose is right, but personally, I would have preferred Bayern Munich, as they don't look too great at the moment!

Fingers crossed and all that.
Talk is cheap
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Full Time Match ends, Atlético de Madrid 0, Chelsea 0.

Makes things interesting. :D Pete :cheers:

EDIT: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27106937
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Ah well, that's all over for another season. :(

We looked good in the 1st half, but conceding a late 1st half equaliser, through poor defending, when we just needed to see the half out seemed to knock all the stuffing out of us. Athletico looked the better team in the 2nd half, but were helped on their way by Eto'o conceding a needless penalty - his sole contribution to the game! :roll:

We had chances but didn't take them and all credit to Athletico - an all Spanish final, sealed by another shoddy piece of defending.

Still, on the plus side, with any luck, both Liverpool and City will blow their chances in the league and we'll end up champions (dream on)! :)
Talk is cheap
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

Bad luck,old chap,but reaching a Champions League semi final and finishing 3rd in the Premiership is all credit to Mourinho with that team.
Courtois looks a very decent keeper.....time for Cech to move on do you think ? Torres was rejuvenated (for one night only) but you need a couple of top class strikers for next season.
I couldnt understand why you didnt start with Oscar :o He's always looked pretty good to me.Is he falling out of favour a la Mata? :| :|
We're all on our uppers,we're all going skint,
I used to suck fat cigars but now I suck Polo mints.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

A victory for flair over pragmatism
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

arcadianagain wrote:A victory for flair over pragmatism
Have you seen some of Athletico's recent games, especially against Barcelona? Same tactics as Real v Bayern (twice) and Chelsea v Liverpool.

They play to win and the opposition determines their tactics. The deciding factor last night was the equaliser. If we could have just kept a clean sheet in the 1st half, I think the game was ours. It really was a game of two halves, we were the better in the 1st and after their goal, they were clearly the better in the 2nd, so fair do's to them.

As for Cech, he's just been voted by his peers as the best goalkeeper in the premiership, a view I agree with, but it will be interesting to see what Chelsea do. Cech is just coming up to 32, which is no age for a keeper and Courtois is simply a younger version of him. I think he'll have one more season abroad.

Why wasn't Oscar selected - no idea? I was really looking forward to seeing him link up with Hazard and Willian as all three together are potent, but in Jose we trust!

We're actually not missing much and a couple of new faster, more agile forwards, with the skills to interplay with Hazard / Oscar / Willian has to be the priority.
Talk is cheap
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

That will surely be Torres's last appearance in a Chelsea strip. But who will buy him?
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

dundrillin wrote:That will surely be Torres's last appearance in a Chelsea strip. But who will buy him?
Which is why he could stay!
Talk is cheap
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Congratulations to Real Madrid,what a game . In the last minute of normal time it looked like Athletico were going to win against a lacklustre Real side . Up pops Sergio Ramos to head in a brilliant equilizer. From then on it seemed there could only be one winner-- Real. Final score was probably a bit flattering though.To top an evening of drama the Athletico manager gets sent to the stand after his second pitch invasion of the night.
blue05
Guru
Guru

Post by blue05 »

delighted for Real they just seemed that much fitter in extra time
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

And well done Gareth Bale for the 2nd goal. He had the chances to have made a name for himself before then.
Talk is cheap
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

On the list to be notified by SuperBru when they open up their 2014-15 Champions League prediction pool. Think about it so hopefully we can get 20 players or so. I'll notify when open. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

^^ I'll be waiting, and now M.united is out maybe my brain will take over the heart, so my prediction
will be slightly better :laugh:

:cheers: :cheers:
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

On the list to be notified by SuperBru when they open up their 2014-15 Champions League prediction pool. Think about it so hopefully we can get 20 players or so. I'll notify when open. Pete
Pete, do you think Superbru's prediction is better than that of the premierleague's that we've done for years? Actually it doesn't matter to me, just wondering. I didn't participate last year and most likely will not this year either as I find the fantasy league much more enjoyable. The reason why I ask is that I've found the scoring system of Superbru somehow strange. Fo example, sometimes my guess has been closer than somebody elses but due to the penalty kicks, they have received more points. I really don't understand how superbru's system works but then again, there are no penalty shoot outs in the PL.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

No, I'm not talking about IKTS and our normal Premiere league pool there that Buks runs. Just Champions League, and perhaps the IKTS people offer that also......I haven't looked yet. IKTS did offer a World Cup pool but I found it too late. Stay tuned.......

Stayed Tuned Edit: I just went to TalkSports which is the home of IKTS, and it's too early. They have nothing yet about any prediction pools except the World Cup. Will keep checking as we get int August and revert......