The Surfing Thread

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
pharvey

Surfer Attacked by Shark Live on TV

Post by pharvey »

Has to concentrate the mind somewhat!! :shock: :shock:

"Fanning, the defending champion at the tournament and a three-time world champion, escaped without any injuries.
"I was just sitting there and I felt something just get stuck in my leg rope, and I was kicking trying to get it away," Fanning told Fox Sports. "I just saw fins. I was waiting for the teeth."
Fanning said he was able to "get a punch into its back" and startle the shark."

Full Report: -

[EDIT] Apologies mods - had forgotten there was a thread solely for surfing. Could you please move.

:cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: The Surfing Thread

Post by Homer »

Now THAT'S a wipeout. Vid shows it once in real time then once in slow motion. Watch the slo-mo part to see his flight path.

Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Much better view of the same wipeout as above:
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

The worst part of such a ride is how long before it happens you know it's gonna happen.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Not strictly surfing, but I thought it was pretty good all the same.

Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Exciting stuff. Sail boats usually have at least a small outboard motor in case of trouble, but I didn't see any attached in that video. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

See her video at the below link. :D Pete :cheers:
phpFa0DGZPM.jpg
(87.09 KiB) Downloaded 19 times

http://www.santacruzwaves.com/videos/pr ... r-playboy/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I'll put his one here as there's an ocean in it :oops: ,and I don't want it to get lost in Foo.

In my wildest days I did some very crazy things, but I don't think I would have tried anything like this if it were available then. These people make it look easy! :shock: Pete :cheers:

hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

"Big-wave riders face death-defying waves in historic Pe’ahi Challenge"

http://www.grindtv.com/surf/pro-surfer- ... TqGpU3g.97
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

hhfarang wrote:"Big-wave riders face death-defying waves in historic Pe’ahi Challenge"
Wow. Talk about critical takeoffs. Haven't seen drop ins that squirrely since before the use of multiple small fins on big wave boards began.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Best. Man-made. Wave. Pool. Ever. Not a mushy, surfable wave. A hollow, rippable one. Cowabunga!

https://vimeo.com/149396475

The 'Kelly' in the video is Kelly Slater. Holds the distinction of being the youngest champion in the World Surf League. And the oldest. And the most titles in a row. And the most titles. In short, he knows how to surf.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ That really is something! I'll have to spend some time later trying to find if details are published on what kind of machine they developed to generate a wave like that. As just unveiled 2 weeks ago, would assume it's still a trade secret. Pete :cheers:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

However they are doing it, it must be taking a big bunch of energy! The usual way is to pump water into a huge tank above the level of the pool, and then release it through a massive "gate". :thumb:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Quite something.... :thumb:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Nereus wrote:However they are doing it, it must be taking a big bunch of energy! The usual way is to pump water into a huge tank above the level of the pool, and then release it through a massive "gate". :thumb:
The water is still, there is no pumping. A form moves along an underwater track, forcing water up. Physics does the rest. Took Kelly's idea 10 years of development before it was ready to show the public. I expect they've protected their intellectual property and will either start building or start franchising after they've raised the capital.