The Surfing Thread

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
PeteC

The Surfing Thread

Post by PeteC »

If you like to watch the wave riders, the above is on live the next few days at:

http://www.usopenofsurfing.com/live

Pete :cheers:

PS: Have a cold Pacifico while watching. :D
pac.jpg
pac.jpg (7.16 KiB) Viewed 8183 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: US Surfing Open

Post by migrant »

prcscct wrote:If you like to watch the wave riders, the above is on live the next few days at:

http://www.usopenofsurfing.com/live

Pete :cheers:

PS: Have a cold Pacifico while watching. :D
pac.jpg
Drove by it today, seemed like a good turnout!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Re: Mavericks

Post by PeteC »

Going to be some great photos and stories from the event today. The place is a bit south of San Francisco and has some of the largest waves in the world, only in winter time and only a few times in one season. They start near Japan and roll all the way across the Pacific. It's a deadly place if you don't know what you're doing. You'll be able to see photos and keep up with it from the below links. Pete :cheers:

http://www.mavericksinvitational.com/story/

https://www.facebook.com/MavericksInvitational?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Re: US Surfing Open

Post by PeteC »

....and, as the waves come through Hawaii........

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/01/21/us/ha ... big-waves/

Many videos at link.

"(CNN) -- The biggest waves in a decade are forecast to be rolling toward Hawaii this week, but many surfers are set to miss out on the chance to ride them.

The National Weather Service in Hawaii said it expects waves 40-to-50-feet high to hit the north shore of Oahu on Wednesday, driven by "a giant northwest swell.".......

Here's one from Jaws off of Maui in Hawaii filmed in 2006. Still huge waves yearly, but not on a regular basis, but more so than Mavericks. Google "Jaws Hawaii" for more info.

....another good one from Jaws....

PeteC

Re: Mavericks

Post by PeteC »

Just about noon Friday in California. Competition live feed going on now at:

http://www.mavericksinvitational.com/
PeteC

Re: Surf Photos

Post by PeteC »

Not the Open or Mavericks any longer, but no need for a new thread. Some great surf photos in the link below. Pete :cheers:

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/04/09/trave ... pstorygall
PeteC

Re: The Surfing Thread

Post by PeteC »

Another bump, which I'll do with this thread from time to time. Granted that surfing is an American and Australian thing and not so much Europe or elsewhere, the beauty of it and the sea is hard to match, and I hope people enjoy watching and/or participating no matter where they are.

If you have kids and in a place where there is surf, buy or rent them a board and just watch the joy on their faces the first time they stand up and ride. :D Pete :cheers:

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I was about 19 when I first managed to stand up on a surf board - down at Watergate Bay, just outside Newquay in Cornwall. The waves may not have been that great by international standards, but for me it was still an achievement, not to mention great fun. The biggest downside to it all, was that. I had an Agfa 35mm camera and got a mate of mine to take some photos, but to my horror when I attempted to rewind the film, it turned out that I hadn't engaged the roll onto the sprockets properly, so I never got a single memento - one advantage of modern day digital cameras!!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Well, at least you tried it and did it Dan. You in Cornwall and me in New Jersey. :D Indeed, not the surfing meccas we see and read about today, but great experiences none the less. :thumb: Did you know there is a town in New Jersey named Surf City. :shock: Pete :cheers:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

prcscct wrote:Well, at least you tried it and did it Dan. You in Cornwall and me in New Jersey. :D Indeed, not the surfing meccas we see and read about today, but great experiences none the less. :thumb: Did you know there is a town in New Jersey named Surf City. :shock: Pete :cheers:
I can't imagine there being any surf in New Jersey, let alone a town named it. I've never been skiing or snowboarding which I assume must be a similar thrill, but surfing was really great fun. I believe that Watergate Bay is now one of the "Mecca's" of UK surfing locations - I'm going to Cornwall this summer, so whilst I doubt very much that I will try my hand again, I might pay a visit there!!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yes, New Jersey can get pretty good concerning surf, especially when Atlantic storms out at sea. Nothing spectacular but 6-10' can be found on places like Long Beach Island where Surf City is. It's a coastal island out from the mainland. After Hurricane Sandy though, much disrupted and turned upside down. No idea if surf will be better or worse. Dunes are gone, houses are gone, jetties are gone, Piers are gone. Massive destruction, but in turn the sea/surf usually reverts back to its natural state after something like that. Pete :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Regardless if a surfing fan or not, the following web site has some really good ocean and nature photos: http://www.santacruzwaves.com/
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

He rode that wave on a WHAT?!?

Post by Homer »

Insane, supremely confident or trying to win one of the XXL Big Wave Awards cash prizes? He's riding a skimboard which in every meaningful way is the opposite of a typical big wave board.

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It's a Samsung commercial but what the heck, it's good. :D

Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Burrow shows The Right stuff

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/ ... ght-stuff/

It is one of the world's most notorious breaks, so dangerous even WA surf veteran Taj Burrow had never dared to take it on - until now.

On Friday, Burrow ventured south from his Yallingup home to ride the "wildest wave" he has seen in 18 years of professional surfing and the result has been dubbed the most dangerous surf photo ever taken.
...............>>>

Video on the link:
................................>>>
Taj Burrow.jpg
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!