The Rugby Thread

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
PeteC

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post by PeteC »

If I was Williams it would take me a long, long time to get over this one. Will he start next week?...we'll see. It should be quite a finale to the tournament. Looking back at what we were saying at the beginning, it hasn't turned out too bad for the Lions and they have a chance to win it now. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

Quite a ridiculous challenge from Sonny Bill and a costly and deserved red card.
Apparently it's the AB's first one since 1967 :shock:

Though I'm happy with a Lions win, and it does set it up nicely for the decider, I can't quite get as carried away as some fans.
It was a hard fought win but not an utterly convincing one, especially against 14 for most of the game.

Next weekends decider is gonna be a cracker, though i fear a disappointing one for The Lions.
We shall see. :D :cheers: :cheers:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

I always tend to get a little "fired up" and miss details whilst watching live rugby, so it's always good to take a look back at at least the highlights of a match.

I think Vunipola has been quite lucky, although I understand he's being brought in front of a commitee in the next couple of days. As I believe is Sean O'Brien for an alleged punch.
I like Sinkler, but he's a livewire and seeing a couple of his confrontations could well be a liability next week should he come on - I'm sure he'll be targetted. Also has been mentioned in the NZ press that there was "an incident" involving Sinkler and 2 or 3 AB players in the tunnel after the game, but nothing confirmed...... not good if true :tsk:
Also, late tackles missed by the (bloody French :wink: ) ref., and a fair bit "off the ball".

Anywho, for your viewing pleasure: -

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ RugbyPass Pte Ltd has blocked the video in Thailand, Pharvey. No problems, other sources for those wanting to see highlights. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

FYI....Williams has a four week ban so we won't see him next week. Pete
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

...."And with four minutes to go Charlie Faumuina was penalised for taking the charging Kyle Sinckler out in the air, and Farrell stroked over the critical three points to seal a famous win."....

That's what won it for the Lions. I saw it but haven't looked for the clip again. Faumuina was committed, almost vertical with his arms out going for the tackle and Sinckler jumps up either over another player or simply in the act of accelerating forward. As he came off the ground, Faumuina reached him. A rule is a rule and the ref has no choice I know, but this was a very unfortunate grey area at a critical time. If the defender is committed and direction irreversible and the ball carrier then goes airborne...should it really be a penalty. Probably can be debated for years. Pete :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ Here's the story....

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/lions-tou ... rugby.html

...and video

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Thinking about the above issue and controversy, I think we've found the Rugby equivalent of the dive in Football. :idea: Pete :cheers:

....."Kieran Read then summed it up perfectly.

"So next time, if I jumped and a player tackles me is it a penalty?" Read asked.".......
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

SOB free to play, good news as he's been playing well. Now if we can only get the English boys to stop giving away penalties we may have a 40% chance!!
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

LIONS name unchanged 15 and reserves for Saturdays final test- great news. The boys deserve another chance but of course are not expected to win - however they will now start with momentum and that is worth points.

Good luck to them.
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ After they won last time out, I think that's fair enough. I just hope the likes of Vunipola can improve discipline and cut down on the penalties - he was directly responsible for 4 last time out and quite frankly was lucky with a yellow card.

Good job Barrett didn't have a great night with the boot......

A few worrying stats though..... The Blackness have not lost at Eden Park since 1994, and not lost 2-in-a-row since 2011. It's a huge ask, that's for sure. Come on the LIONS!!!!!

:cheers: :cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Less than an hour away, picks made, bets on, Champagne on ice (well, beer in fridge).. :clap: :dance: :sun: :dance:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

pharvey wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:41 pm Less than an hour away, picks made, bets on, Champagne on ice (well, beer in fridge).. :clap: :dance: :sun: :dance:
Yes, normal deal here in Thailand for live TV....True Setanta channel 669 at 1435 hours. Pete :cheers:
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Not having Sky Sports I'm having to resort to TalkSport radio commentary. :(
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The All Blacks are going to lose this thing unless they calm down in the 2nd half. Way too many handling errors for a dry night. I think they miss Dan Coles, as their play certainly isn't like it was since he's been out, and sorry to say Kieran Read's generalship does nothing at all to excite me. Pete :cheers: