The Rugby Thread

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
PeteC

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post by PeteC »

I'm watching Glasgow vs the Ospreys this morning. I'm guessing it was last night and at present only 19 minutes in and 0-0. What brings a smile is that every player is steaming to a degree that they almost become invisible. Looks like teams of dragons out there on the pitch! Must be a cold night. :D Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Could make things interesting.........

Six Nations: Bonus-point System Introduced for 2017 Tournament

The Six Nations has announced there will be a bonus-point system in the 2017 championship to "encourage and reward try scoring and attacking play".

Last season it was two points for a win, but that will become four - plus a bonus point for four or more tries.

A losing team could pick up two bonus points - one if they score four or more tries and another if they lose by fewer than seven points.

A team that wins the Grand Slam - all five games - gets three extra points.

Teams that draw will now get two points each with a similar bonus point available for high scoring.

More at: - http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/38157831

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
surferdave
Amateur
Amateur

Post by surferdave »

Why would the team who win the grand slam get an extra 3 pts?
They have allready won the grand slam.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

surferdave wrote:Why would the team who win the grand slam get an extra 3 pts?
They have allready won the grand slam.
I believe the thinking behind it is that theoretically, if the team winning the Grand Slam had won with zero bonus points they could actually finish 2nd should say a team losing just one match but gaining several bonus points throughout the tournament.

arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

pharvey wrote:Could make things interesting.........

Six Nations: Bonus-point System Introduced for 2017 Tournament

The Six Nations has announced there will be a bonus-point system in the 2017 championship to "encourage and reward try scoring and attacking play".

Last season it was two points for a win, but that will become four - plus a bonus point for four or more tries.

A losing team could pick up two bonus points - one if they score four or more tries and another if they lose by fewer than seven points.

A team that wins the Grand Slam - all five games - gets three extra points.

My brain hurts :oops:

Teams that draw will now get two points each with a similar bonus point available for high scoring.

More at: - http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/38157831

PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Well the Autumn Internationals are over and the RED ROSE were simply magnificent. Yesterdays game against Australia was superb with England's play outstanding during the last 60mins. This also, when 4+ + players were unable to take part. I believe it is the best Red Rose team I have seen, and the future for them looks bright because they will continue to improve under Eddie Jones. Perhaps the All Blacks will now have some real competition.
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

PET wrote:Well the Autumn Internationals are over and the RED ROSE were simply magnificent. Yesterdays game against Australia was superb with England's play outstanding during the last 60mins. This also, when 4+ + players were unable to take part. I believe it is the best Red Rose team I have seen, and the future for them looks bright because they will continue to improve under Eddie Jones. Perhaps the All Blacks will now have some real competition.
They already do.... The Irish beat them a few weeks ago!!! :wink: :duck:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PET wrote:Well the Autumn Internationals are over and the RED ROSE were simply magnificent.
There'll be a few disagreeing over the first quarter yesterday! :wink:

In all seriousness, I think Beelzebub's squad have done incredibly well under Jones and have had a great year. Yesterday however saw a few problems - Bath's Flyhalf George Ford again showing his inconsistency with the boot and early issues in the front row (rectified later).

I thought both defences were first class, refereeing good in the most part, but the yellow card for Haylett-Petty was somewhat harsh IMHO. For me, MOTM was Jonathan Joseph, cracking display :bow:

As for the "Prediction League"
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (17.71 KiB) Viewed 616 times
Huge congrats to Pete - a great performance (unlike Wales :oops: ) and a worthy winner!! :cheers: :thumb: :bow:
Big Hand :thumb: to Dubai Dan on the Yellow Cap
And least but not least, special mention for RZR on his WOODEN SPOON!! :neener: :neener: :wink: But seriously a great 2nd place finish! :thumb:
I'll not mention my standing......... :oops: :banghead:

Thanks all for taking part and hope to see you all in the next one!!

Roll on The Six Nations!!

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

pharvey wrote:There'll be a few disagreeing over the first quarter yesterday! :wink:
I certainly won't disagree, and I don't think many will. England made a few unforgivable errors, but I also think the Aussies came out all guns blazing. However, they couldn't maintain that momentum, and England gradually took their rightful place. I thoroughly enjoyed the game (obviously the score helped).

Congratulations to Pete :cheers:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ Thanks, an unusual win for me. :D I'm usually the bridesmaid, or not even in the wedding party with these things :shock: .....like IKTS were I am steadily sliding downward from the top. :banghead: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

Well done and congrats to Pete, that was a tough one to win. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

pharvey wrote:
And least but not least, special mention for RZR on his WOODEN SPOON!!
You're welcome. :D :cheers:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

As we come to the end of the year....... 2016 in Numbers: -

"1 – The number of times Ireland have beaten New Zealand from a total of 30 Tests between the two countries over a 111-year period. Ireland eventually broke their duck when they claimed a 40-29 victory over the All Blacks in Chicago during November.

100 – Is the percentage of matches which England won under the guidance of head coach Eddie Jones in 2016. That is from 13 matches which includes a flawless Six Nations campaign, a win over Wales in a friendly ahead of their 3-0 series whitewash of the Wallabies in Australia in June and four successive victories during their end-of-year Tests.

6 – South Africa’s position in World Rugby’s rankings at the end of 2016. This equals their lowest position since the rankings were introduced in 2003 and follows an annus horribilis for the Springboks, who won just four out of 12 Tests this year.

5 – That represents the number of franchises from New Zealand that have won the Super Rugby tournament after the Hurricanes’ triumphant 2016 season. They follow in the footsteps of the Crusaders, Blues, Chiefs and Highlanders which means that every one of that country’s franchises have now been victorious in the competiiton.

8.5 – The number of seconds it took for Golden Lions lock Lourens Erasmus to score a try after kick-off in the Lions’ 68-26 demolition of the Pumas in their Currie Cup clash in Johannesburg. This is the fastest-ever try in Currie Cup history and breaks the record which was previously held by Leopards wing Bertie Visser, who scored after nine seconds in Potchefstroom in 2012.

1 – Fiji’s number of medals since making their debut at the Olympic Games in 1956. Their first was achieved when they won the Rugby Sevens at this year’s Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

258 – The number of points scored by the top pointscorer in the Premiership – Exeter Chiefs fly-half Gareth Steenson – during the 2015/16 campaign. Those points came via three tries, 48 conversions and 49 penalties. He finished 73 points ahead of his nearest rival, Wasps pivot Jimmy Gopperth.

30 – That’s the total racked up by New Zealand on the points table their triumphant 2016 Rugby Championship campaign. That represents a full house of points available after they won all six their matches with try-scoring bonus points – the first time this has ever happened since Argentina joined the Southern Hemisphere’s three leading nations in an expanded competition in 2012.

131 – The number of years it took for Connacht to win their first ever trophy when they beat fellow Irish province Leinster 20-10 in the PRO12 final at Murrayfield.

81 – The number of points scored by New Zealand fly-half Beauden Barrett who finished as the leading pointscorer in this year’s Rugby Championship. Barrett’s points came courtesy of four tries, 23 conversions and five penalties.

108,941 – The total number of supporters who flocked through the gates of the Cape Town Stadium over two days during a highly successful second instalment of the Cape Town Sevens. The first day saw 53,946 people go through the turnstiles, while 54,995 were in attendance on the second day of the tournament which was won by England. Last year, just under 106,000 people attended the inaugural event.

1 – A first ever European Champions Cup title for Saracens as they beat Racing 92, 21-9, at Grande Stade de Lyon in the final. That’s also the first time an English side has won Europe’s premier cup competition since Wasps won the Heineken Cup in 2007.

40.1 – That figure represents the average number of points scored per Test by the All Blacks in 2016. The world champions played in 14 Tests during the year and scored a whopping 562 points.

4 – That’s the number of tries scored by the top tryscorer in this year’s Six Nations – Wales winger George North.

16 – The figure for the highest number of try assists by a single player – Lions fly-half Elton Jantjies – during this year’s Super Rugby tournament."

by David Skippers - Taken from Planetrugby.com

Roll on 2017!! :thumb:

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

This weekend's main (Eurpoean) fixtures: -
31.12.PNG
31.12.PNG (22.69 KiB) Viewed 361 times
01.01.PNG
01.01.PNG (22.07 KiB) Viewed 361 times
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Happy New Year Pharvey there in the land of the Celts. Haven't commented much recently as Setanta showing crap (NRL repeats) and very little of anything else. However, am at the beginning of the NFL playoff season and this is when it gets good. I think Rugby in the UK is half over now or soon and will get back into it full time after the holiday over, school starts and the household get back to normal. :thumb: Pete :cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

And a happy NY to yourself and your's also Pete :thumb:

As to the rugby, what a difference a week makes! Bristol make it two wins from two and give themselves a lifeline in the Premiership.

Not a great showing by Bath (or the referee) on NYE......... unfortunately I was feeling a little tender today to watch much else.. :oops: