The Rugby Thread

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
PeteC

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post by PeteC »

^ Yes, on right now, 28 minutes into the first half.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Not a good result for the Hurricanes. First loss at home this year. They've been a try scoring machine all season with 35-40 normal each game. Not tonight. Everything seemed off, especially their blind passes which usually work for the top three NZ teams. They'll be back, with a vengeance me thinks. Well done to the Chiefs! :thumb: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Just as a side thought. I've felt for quite a while that the top 3 NZ teams of the Hurricanes, Crusaders and Highlanders, (or any NZ top 3 in a given year) would be more than a match for the winners of the Aviva, Pro 12 and French Top 14 leagues. In fact I think all three NZ teams would rank 1-2-3 in all of those leagues. A yearly tournament inclusive of all 6 of those teams would be something special to see, but alas probably never considered regardless of how great something like that could be. :idea: Pete :cheers:
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

Just watched Argentina v England which England won 38 34, a fantastic match which swung both ways. Catch any replays if you can
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Good result for the Lions against the Crusaders, a defensive marathon. On paper the Crusaders are second only to the All Blacks in this tournament so things are looking up for the Lions. :D Pete :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Highlanders vs the Lions 0835 BST today from Dunedin NZ. That's 1435 Thai time and should be on Setanta True 669 live. Pete :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:cuss: I've just watched my 2nd ever Lions match :cuss:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Regardless of the outcome, to my eye the Lions are improving with each match. If they keep it up they are going to give a good accounting against the All Blacks IMO. Pete :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

PS: One of the commentators this afternoon said something like..." the Lions injuries continue to mount...." Does anyone know how many and if key players? It would be a shame if some of their top people didn't make it to the All Black matches. Pete
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:24 pm :cuss: I've just watched my 2nd ever Lions match :cuss:
You're being incredibly harsh BB and the arrogant Lillywhite comment regarding squad selection and only the English (or Irish) teams should have gone has somewhat backfired hasn't it? Whilst there were a fair few possitives today, the negatives came mainly from the English (and indeed Irish) - Cole at prop and Jonathan Joseph at center, Jarad Payne had a very poor game by his standards between the 3, tackles missed, poor scrumaging (Cole giving away a ridiculous penalty - and 3pts :banghead: ). Also, Sinckler gave away a stupid penalty and 3pts, although I've got to say he was one of the stand out performers - just needs to top up on the rugby IQ (or IQ in general).

Whilst I realise I'll be accused of being incredibly biased, the Welsh contingent did well today. I thought Biggar and Webb at half-backs did very well, and although Warburton had a slow start, he really did come into the mix 2nd half - why was he taken off (for that matter most substitutions have baffled me on the tour :roll: :shock: ).

For me.

Stand Out Performers: -

5 Iain Henderson - Ireland. Simply immense - superb carries although 1 or 2 handling errors. Test Place IMHO.
4 Courtney Lawes - England. Very, very good game and a worry over a head injury. Fighting AWJ for a Test Place.
8 CJ Stander - Ireland. Superb yet again, but I think Falateau (Wales) has nailed the test place.
12 Robbie Henshaw - Ireland. Didn't think he did much in attack, but did well in defence.
9 Rhys Webb - Wales/Cymru. Class act, again why was he taken off? Test place IMHO
10 Dan Biggar - Wales/Cymru. Controlled the game well until off to injury which is worrying. Test Place IMHO.

Stand Out Non-Performers: -

15 Jared Payne - Ireland. Way below his best in my opinion, and with straight forward kicks missed by Farrell (English BB :neener: ) I would have Halfpenny (Wales) there.
11 Tommy Seymour - Ireland. Scored a try, but a very poor game by his standards. Missed a couple of tackles and 2 knock-ons.
13 Jonathan Joseph - England. Again, scored a try (made by Biggar), but very poor in defence - would get mullared by the Blackness.

I would also include the non-performers the coaching staff and decision makers. Some (sorry, no - most) of the substitutions have been ridiculous - and have cost us the match. Is Gatland playing games, or is he simply bloody useless? As a Welshman (and he is coach of the national side) this concerns me greatly.

One thing that you need to remember BB - the British and Irish Lions are a tradition. We are 4 nations coming together to enjoy rugby as it should be. The players will not have been together for more than 1 or 2 weeks, will have a different coach and will be learning new tactics (provintional and club sides are somewhat different, they've been together for years) - England can tour alone. Well done on your first victory, but quite frankly I hope you get stuffed. :neener: :wink:

Anywho - hopefully we can at least compete it the tests, next Saturday is also going to be a big test......

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think you're making it up........
pharvey wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:20 pm You're being incredibly harsh BB and the arrogant Lillywhite comment regarding squad selection and only the English (or Irish) teams should have gone has somewhat backfired hasn't it?
Big Boy actually wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:45 pm They could have just taken the English, or the Irish squad - they would have put up a much better show (couldn't have been worse). Maybe even Wales or Scotland could have fared better.
I'm just very disappointed. Together days, weeks or years, these guys are supposed to be the best of the best, and they are performing well below what I think is acceptable.
the British and Irish Lions are a tradition. We are 4 nations coming together to enjoy rugby as it should be
So it is as I suspected last week - an end of season tour. Winning isn't important. How very British :banghead:

BTW I thought Biggar had a good game also :wink:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

When did he start wearing the shamrock? :-)
11 Tommy Seymour - Ireland. Scored a try, but a very poor game by his standards. Missed a couple of tackles and 2 knock-ons.

Think these players ratings are quite accurate for the game - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/ ... ghlanders/
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

JimmyGreaves wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:27 pm When did he start wearing the shamrock? :-)

Think these players ratings are quite accurate for the game - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/ ... ghlanders/
Oops..... :oops: Sorry - a Sweaty!

Can't say I agree with several of the ratings - I think the author just likes his 7/10!!
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

No Superbru email reminder for me this time....why I don't know. Heads up.....Lions vs NZ Maori tomorrow. Pete :cheers:
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

prcscct wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:19 pm No Superbru email reminder for me this time....why I don't know. Heads up.....Lions vs NZ Maori tomorrow. Pete :cheers:
What time is kick-off Pete?