The Rugby Thread

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
PeteC

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post by PeteC »

A little bit of a heads up. The Blues are sitting at the bottom of the New Zealand Super 15 teams at the moment which probably won't change, and they're not in the playoffs. I would say the Lions should win, but after their last match I'm not 100% confident. The Blues game is still the wide open, fast New Zealand style. 50-50 in my mind right now. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Looking forward to it. Working from home today, so will be watching (perhaps not with a beer or 2 this early) and have even remembered to make my pick!! :thumb:

The Lions certainly need to put a far bigger display in against the Blues. Whilst the Blues might be languishing at the bottom of the league, they are certainly no mugs - with the likes of Sonny Bill Williams in their line-up, they'll always be a threat.

Anyways, here's to a great match and hope all enjoy (especially those wearing red!).. :clap: :dance: :clap:

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Actually managed to watch the game, but will wait to comment as I'm sure a few will not have seen and it may be repeated.

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm not going to hold back - who picked that shower? I assume the best players were being rested for the day. Absolutely hopeless - especially against a club side.

[Edit] BTW - probably the first time I can remember sitting down to watch a Lions game. Probably won't bother again.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I should go jump off a bridge. :idea: First match I picked Lions by 6 and changed it to 9. Second match I picked Blues by 6 and changed it to Lions by 6. :banghead: :banghead: Without changes I'd be 100%. This is worse luck than making changes in IKTS. :cry: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Better that shower of clowns representing the Lions jump off the bridge.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I was looking at the schedule and things could get brutal. I didn't know that they play the All Blacks three times. Something needs to change and click for the Lions quickly or the way I see it they would only have a chance to win twice....against the Maori on June 17 and the Chiefs on June 20.

How long where they together as a unit before the tournament.....did they have any matches together at all before going to New Zealand? Pete
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:51 pm I'm not going to hold back - who picked that shower? I assume the best players were being rested for the day. Absolutely hopeless - especially against a club side.
Sorry BB but you are taking alot away from the Blues who IMHO were superb - and could teach many teams in the NH how to defend let alone attack.

A few highlighlts/lowlights from my side: -

The Lions were lucky not to have lost by a damned sight more - foot in touch, 1m off side etc. (2 tries dissallowed).
Referee: - Nob... (well he is French) and to be honest I never agree with the ref if "my" side loses! But certainly would not have changed the result. However, a couple of tight decsions.
On paper this was a damned good Lions side, which is very worrying :cry:
Forwards to No. 9 played very well on the whole :thumb:
Fly Halves - Both Crap (embarrassed with biggar being Welsh myself) - The Irish lad on Sky (forget his name) thought Sexton played well ?? WTF
Backline? Where? Tactics, where?
Think Nowell should get on a plane now.... or at least pretend to be injured.
We could have snatched it (unfairly) at the end, but had a Hooker on the park who can't throw!! Why in God's name was that substitution made?!!
Considering I'll still support the Lions, I think this will be the first time I have ended with zero points on Superbru!! :roll:

Anywho, the only way is up!! :cheers: :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The All Blacks squad for the Lions matches. Milner-Skudder didn't make it this year due to ongoing injury problems all of last year. He has been named to the Maori All Black squad so watch for him in the June 17 match. He can be explosive. Pete :cheers:

The squad is as follows: (with province and Test caps in brackets. New caps are in bold.)

Forwards:
Hookers
Dane Coles (Wellington, 49)
Codie Taylor (Canterbury, 15)
Nathan Harris (Bay of Plenty, 4)

Props
Wyatt Crockett (Canterbury, 58)
Charlie Faumuina (Auckland, 46)
Owen Franks (Canterbury, 90)
Joe Moody (Canterbury, 24)
Ofa Tu'ungafasi (Auckland, 4)

Locks
Scott Barrett (Taranaki, 4)
Brodie Retallick (Hawke's Bay, 60)
Luke Romano (Canterbury, 26)
Samuel Whitelock (Canterbury, 84)

Loose Forwards
Sam Cane (Bay of Plenty, 40)
Jerome Kaino (Auckland, 74)
Kieran Read, captain (Counties Manukau, 97)
Ardie Savea (Wellington, 12)
Liam Squire (Tasman, 8 )

Backs:

Halfbacks
Tawera Kerr-Barlow (Waikato, 25)
TJ Perenara (Wellington, 29)
Aaron Smith (Manawatu, 58)

First five-eighths
Beauden Barrett (Taranaki, 49)
Aaron Cruden (Manawatu, 47)
Lima Sopoaga (Southland, 6)

Midfielders
Ryan Crotty (Canterbury, 26)
Ngani Laumape (Manawatu, uncapped)
Anton Leinert-Brown (Waikato, 9)
Sonny Bill Williams (Counties Manukau, 33)

Outside backs
Jordie Barrett (Taranaki, uncapped)
Israel Dagg (Hawke's Bay, 61)
Rieko Ioane (Auckland, 2)
Waisake Naholo (Taranaki, 12)
Julian Savea (Wellington, 52)
Ben Smith (Otago, 60)
Last edited by PeteC on Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

pharvey wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:01 am Sorry BB but you are taking alot away from the Blues who IMHO were superb - and could teach many teams in the NH how to defend let alone attack.
I'm not denying the Blues played well, but for a side representing the British Isles (or most of it, at least), the Lions were barely a decent club side - definitely not the best of several decent rugby nations. They must be a laughing stock in NZ.

If the selectors didn't have the ability to pick a decent squad, why did they bother picking anybody at all. They could have just taken the English, or the Irish squad - they would have put up a much better show (couldn't have been worse). Maybe even Wales or Scotland could have fared better.

I was expecting to see the best of best. Instead my return to watching TV in Thailand was a huge disappointment. Against a bottom of the league club side at that :banghead:

It must have been the rugby equivalent of Bristol beating New Zealand. It was more akin to an end of season jolly.

I was disappointed.

Points 48; Position 18
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:45 pm
pharvey wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:01 am Sorry BB but you are taking alot away from the Blues who IMHO were superb - and could teach many teams in the NH how to defend let alone attack.
I'm not denying the Blues played well, but for a side representing the British Isles (or most of it, at least), the Lions were barely a decent club side - definitely not the best of several decent rugby nations. They must be a laughing stock in NZ.

If the selectors didn't have the ability to pick a decent squad, why did they bother picking anybody at all. They could have just taken the English, or the Irish squad - they would have put up a much better show (couldn't have been worse). Maybe even Wales or Scotland could have fared better.

I was expecting to see the best of best. Instead my return to watching TV in Thailand was a huge disappointment. Against a bottom of the league club side at that :banghead:

It must have been the rugby equivalent of Bristol beating New Zealand. It was more akin to an end of season jolly.

I was disappointed.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ I think after the quoting Pharvey you forgot to say anything? :D
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

prcscct wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:15 pm ^ I think after the quoting Pharvey you forgot to say anything? :D
Yes, I was having a bit of a rant with regards to BB's comment saying it was basically a cr@p squad and they should have just taken the English (or Irish) :oops: Decided not to post it, but for some reason still managed to post BB's quote! Ah, the joys of finishing work early and having a few beers :roll: :oops:

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

FYI, the Hurricanes vs The Chiefs just started in NZ a few minutes ago. Setanta True 669. Good chance to see two of the teams the Lions will come up against. Pete :cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

prcscct wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:39 pm FYI, the Hurricanes vs The Chiefs just started in NZ a few minutes ago. Setanta True 669. Good chance to see two of the teams the Lions will come up against. Pete :cheers:

Cheers Pete - I'll see if I can find a link. It is "LIve" I take it?