The Rugby Thread

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
pharvey

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post by pharvey »

^ Yes quite something. Must admit I was expecting a "backlash" from SA after their drubbing from the Blackness.

In the other game, it does say something when the Blackness can rest 5 players including both Locks and both Flankers and still come away with a 26 point victory.....

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Took the liberty of finishing off the 2017 Championship pool with the final results:

phpavRaXRAM.jpg
phpavRaXRAM.jpg (50.1 KiB) Viewed 673 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

Well done and congrats to Tom Tom :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Thanks Pete - I lost the plot there! :oops:

And many congrats to TomTom :thumb:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

This all sounds a bit ominous....

"Edinburgh's Scotland flanker John Hardie has been suspended from duty pending an internal investigation.

The New Zealand-born back-rower, 29, will not be considered for selection for either his club or for Scotland.

No further details were given, with a Scottish Rugby statement adding only that "we are unable to comment further given the nature of the investigation"."

Full Article: - http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/41700660
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

You have a real mess with a Wales player as well concerning his playing for your national team in relation to his acceptance of a contract with Toulon. Seems all very complicated and not really transparent to me. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:58 pm You have a real mess with a Wales player as well concerning his playing for your national team in relation to his acceptance of a contract with Toulon. Seems all very complicated and not really transparent to me. Pete :cheers:
Certainly not good to lose players of the caliber of Rhys Webb and we're going to have a real mess with possibly several other players plying their trade outside Wales after the new rule change (i.e. "No player playing outside Wales with under 60 caps will be considered"). Ross Moriarty for one playing for Gloucester - if he signs a new contract at the end of the season, he'll also be ineligible..... He would also be a huge loss.

I can understand the thinking of trying to keep our best players "at home", but Wales simply don't have the player base to sustain it IMO. :cry:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

BLEDISLOE CUP: AUSTRALIA BEAT NEW ZEALAND 23-18

http://www.superxv.com/bledisloe-cup-au ... sbane/?%20

Reece Hodge kicked a monster 53-metre penalty with 90 seconds remaining in the 161st Bledisloe Cup, ending a run of seven defeats.

The All Blacks won the first two Bledisloe Cup matches 34-54 in Sydney and 35-29 in Dunedin.

Rieko Ioane’s 71st-minute try brought New Zealand to within two points at 20-18.

Australia outscored the All Blacks three tries to two, yet it was their defensive effort that won them the day.

Michael Cheika’s team missed 11 tackles while Steve Hansen’s side coughed up 28 in Wayne Smith’s final game with the World Champions.

This was only the third time since 2010 and over 70 Tests that New Zealand has led at half-time but lost the match......

Note: I don't know if it is the difference, but Australia has been improving each match since Moore stepped down as captain and Hooper took over. I guess we can test that theory during the upcoming Autumn Internationals. We'll also see if the All Blacks are entering a slump period? I hope not. :(
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

PeteC wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:17 am I don't know if it is the difference, but Australia has been improving each match since Moore stepped down as captain and Hooper took over. I guess we can test that theory during the upcoming Autumn Internationals. We'll also see if the All Blacks are entering a slump period? I hope not. :(
Why? I don't think it's good for any sport if one team dominates the game for decades on end. I think it would be a great boost for rugby union if Australia, England, Ireland or anyone else took over the top spot for a while.

(Sorry, pharvey, I forgot to add Wales...)
This is the way
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The All Blacks selectors, Steve Hansen, Ian Foster and Grant Fox, have selected their squad for the Vista 2017 All Blacks Northern Tour to the UK and Europe for Tests against France, Scotland and Wales and matches against the Barbarians and a France XV. http://www.allblacks.com/News/31656/squ ... thern-tour

The squad is as follows (with age, province and Test caps in brackets. New All Blacks in bold):

Forwards:

Hookers
Asafo Aumua (20, Wellington, uncapped)
Dane Coles (30, Wellington, 55)
Nathan Harris (25, Bay of Plenty, 9)
Codie Taylor (26, Canterbury, 25)

Props
Wyatt Crockett (34, Canterbury, 68)
Kane Hames (29, Tasman, 6)
Nepo Laulala (26, Counties Manukau, 10)
Tim Perry (29, Tasman, uncapped)
Jeffery Toomaga-Allen (26, Wellington, 1)
Ofa Tu’ungafasi (25, Auckland, 11)

Locks
Scott Barrett (23, Taranaki, 14)
Luke Romano (31, Canterbury, 29)
Patrick Tuipulotu (24, Auckland, 15)
Samuel Whitelock (29, Canterbury, 93)

Loose Forwards
Sam Cane (25, Bay of Plenty, 50)
Vaea Fifita (25, Wellington, 3)
Jerome Kaino (34, Auckland, 74)
Kieran Read, captain (31, Counties Manukau, 107)
Ardie Savea (24, Wellington, 21)
Liam Squire (26, Tasman, 12)
Matt Todd (29, Canterbury, 10)

Backs:

Halfbacks
Tawera Kerr–Barlow (27, Waikato, 24)
TJ Perenara (25, Wellington, 39)
Aaron Smith (28, Manawatu, 68)

First five–eighths
Beauden Barrett (26, Taranaki, 59)
Lima Sopoaga (26, Southland, 13)

Midfielders
Ryan Crotty (29, Canterbury, 32)
Jack Goodhue (22, Northland, uncapped)
Ngani Laumape (24, Manawatu, 4)
Anton Lienert-Brown (22, Waikato, 19)
Sonny Bill Williams (32, Counties Manukau, 43)

Outside backs
David Havili (22, Tasman, 3)
Matt Duffie (27, North Harbour, uncapped)
Rieko Ioane (20, Auckland, 10)
Damian McKenzie (22, Waikato, 9)
Waisake Naholo (26, Taranaki, 15)
Seta Tamanivalu (25, Taranaki, 3)

The squad features four uncapped players: dynamic 20-year-old Wellington hooker Asafo Aumua; talented North Harbour outside back Matt Duffie; and Tasman prop Tim Perry and Northland midfielder Jack Goodhue, who both trained with the All Blacks squad earlier this year.

Several players weren’t considered for selection for the tour due to long-term injury and other reasons, including hooker Liam Coltman, props Owen Franks and Joe Moody, lock Brodie Retallick, and outside backs Jordie Barrett, Israel Dagg, Nehe Milner-Skudder and Ben Smith.

All Blacks Head Coach Steve Hansen said: “The selectors would firstly like to congratulate all players selected for the Vista 2017 All Blacks Northern Tour, especially Asafo, Tim, Matt and Jack who are named in an All Blacks squad for the first time. We have a talented squad made up of experienced players and a large group of newer All Blacks and this tour will be another exciting opportunity for them.

Hansen said the All Blacks had three major aims they wanted to achieve on the tour.

“Firstly, we want to play attractive rugby that we can be proud of and, of course, winning is part of that. But, just as importantly, will be re-establishing the processes that allow us to do this.

“Secondly, we have another opportunity to expose our young players to Test rugby. Whilst we’ve won the Investec Rugby Championship and retained the Bledisloe Cup, the last couple of months has also enabled us to introduce that large group of younger players to international rugby and, in doing so, grow their understanding of what’s required to prepare and perform at the highest level.

“Adding the four new players to our squad will again allow us to expose more young talent to the highest level, where, history tells us, players grow and get better. So this tour will complete a season of building depth and experience, which in the long run, will only benefit the team.

“The make-up of the Tour, with three Tests against France, Scotland and Wales, as well as matches against the Barbarians and the French XV, means we have the opportunity to come up against a range of different opposition and playing styles which will be exciting and a great learning experience.

“Our third aim is to thoroughly enjoy touring the Northern Hemisphere and its different cultures. We want to engage as much as we can with the people in the countries we visit and be great ambassadors for the game of rugby and New Zealand.”

Hansen said six All Blacks, who have carried heavy workloads this year, will not play the Barbarians match. They will spend a few more days at home to freshen up and join the All Blacks touring squad later next week. Those players are Captain Kieran Read, hooker Dane Coles, prop Wyatt Crockett, lock Samuel Whitelock, and midfielders Anton Lienert-Brown and Sonny Bill Williams.

As well as the 37-man squad, the All Blacks selectors have also announced that five additional players will play for the Barbarians in the first match of the Vista Northern Tour and then assemble with the All Blacks for the French leg of the tour.

Those players are Otago loose forward Dillon Hunt, Waikato prop Atunaisa Moli, who has trained with the All Blacks squad this year, Canterbury halfback Mitchell Drummond and his provincial teammate Richie Mo’unga, who was called into the All Blacks squad in Brisbane last week as cover; and Canterbury and two-Test All Blacks lock Dominic Bird.

The makeup of the 37-man squad sees 21 forwards selected (four hookers, six props, four locks and seven loose forwards) and 16 backs (three halfbacks, two first five–eighths, five midfielders and six outside backs) and has a total of 954 Test caps experience, an average of 26 Test caps per player and average age of 25.

Meanwhile, 12 of the Mitre 10 Cup provinces are represented in the All Blacks touring squad, with six players from Canterbury and Wellington, four from Auckland, Tasman and Taranaki, three from Counties Manukau and Waikato, two each from Bay of Plenty, Manawatu and Tasman; and one player each from Northland, North Harbour and Southland.

The Vista 2017 All Blacks Northern Tour

1. vs THE BARBARIANS, Saturday 4 November, Twickenham, LONDON
Kick-off: 2.30PM BST (NZT: 2.30AM, Sunday 5 November),
2. vs. FRANCE, Saturday 11 November, Stade de France, PARIS
Kick-off: 8.45PM CET (NZT: 7.45AM, Sunday 12 November)
3. vs. FRANCE XV, Tuesday 14 November, Parc Olympique Lyonnais, LYON
Kick-off 6.55PM CET (NZT: 5.55AM, Wednesday, 15 November)
4. vs. SCOTLAND, Saturday 18 November, Murrayfield, EDINBURGH
Kick-off: 3.00PM BST (NZT: 3.00AM, Sunday 19 November, NZT)
5. vs. WALES, Saturday 25 November, Millennium Stadium, CARDIFF
Kick-off: 5.15PM BST (NZT: 5.15AM, Sunday 26 November, NZT)
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I was just watching the Ospreys vs Dragons, Pharvey, I guess from last weekend. At 59 minutes an Ospreys player was tackled and I think he snapped his shin bone in half, they took him off on a stretcher. Didn't get his number, a black lad. Do you have info on the actual injury? I've never seen a stretcher called for so quickly. They were waving for it immediately. :( Pete :cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:18 am(Sorry, pharvey, I forgot to add Wales...)
Yeah, yeah, I noticed....... :roll: :wink:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:10 pm I was just watching the Ospreys vs Dragons, Pharvey, I guess from last weekend. At 59 minutes an Ospreys player was tackled and I think he snapped his shin bone in half, they took him off on a stretcher. Didn't get his number, a black lad. Do you have info on the actual injury? I've never seen a stretcher called for so quickly. They were waving for it immediately. :( Pete :cheers:
It was Keelan Giles - Left Wing, and actually a (serious) knee injury. He's suffered from several injuries in the past and again it's very sad for him as it was looking like he would be called up for the Autumn Internationals.
He obviously needs surgery and it looks very likely that he'll be out for the rest of the season.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Rugby World Cup 2019 - Pool Stage Fixtures Announced .... :thumb:

NOTE: - All times local, which will suit you guys in Thailand! :D

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/ng-in ... e-fixtures

:cheers: :cheers:
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Shame the England Autumn internationals don't include this NZ tour. :(