The Rugby Thread

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
PeteC

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post by PeteC »

What's this Pharvey? I wasn't aware Wales was traveling down there. Do they have other matches in NZ along with the Lions?
phpQEihbzPM.jpg
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ It's our "Pacific Islands Tour" :wink: . We'll be playing Tonga and Samoa (in Samoa - Apia Park) and I believe possibly one or 2 provincial sides in NZ, but nothing has been confirmed on the latter. The stadium in Tonga was not deemed fit enough to host an international match, hence the reason for playing at Eden Park.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of the younger players comming through - Sam Davies will be an obvious one to watch. Also puts some Welsh players (such as Chateris) who missed out on the Lions in prime position should there be any injuries.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ Well, it doesn't appear that there'll be any additional games after all :cry: - however, an exciting squad from which I hope the "fringe" players will get a chance.....

http://www.wru.wales/eng/news/38768.php ... RKgKGnyi00

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here are the results of the World Cup pool draw. Pete :cheers:

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/pooldraw
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

No "Pool of Death" as such this time around, but I think the the Lillywhites have a tougher group than God's Own in facing both France and Argentina. Whilst both France and Argentina have fallen back in the past year or 2, they'll certainly raise their game come RWC time! And let's be fair, both have finished highly in previous RWC's.

Wales have the better of the pools, but still no easy games. I think we've lost 16 on the trot to the Crims, so would hope we fair better this time!! Georgia have impressed over recent years and are calling (rightly so IMHO) for a place in the 6N (with a demotion/premotion ruling). Then we have the likely qualifiers in Fiji and Canada - again, no mugs.

Wales face both Australia and Georgia in November, so maybe a taste of what's to see..... then again, we're still 2 years away from the RWC and a lot can change.

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Residency rule change - 3 years to 5 years...

Personally, I believe the rule change is good for the sport, but why in God's name not implement it until December 2020??!! :banghead:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/ ... and-exodus

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

European Champions Cup: Saracens beat Clermont 28-17 to retain European title

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/39857333

Good match you should be able to see on replay on True Setanta 669 today and this coming week. Nigel Owens as ref with his usual style and flare. Full stadium with thousands outside apparently watching a big screen. In the end it looked like a fitness issue to me with Sarencens lasting longer. The score was much closer than it looks until the final quarter. Pete :cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Watch the full (2nd) video - outstanding........ lucky barsteward!

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugb ... y-13041590

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

:lach: Good stuff. He really had his heart in it.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

prcscct wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 3:30 pm :lach: Good stuff. He really had his heart in it.
We (God's Own) might not be the best, but we're trying :wink: - Fair play to him...... Loves his Country, loves his rugby, loves the LIONS. :thumb:

Full ahead for a 2-3 win!! :cheers: :cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

American date for Saracens as English rugby tries to build its USA profile

"Newcastle will 'host' Saracens in an Aviva Premiership fixture in Philadelphia on September 16 as English rugby tries to build its growing profile in America.
Last season Saracens met London Irish at New Jersey's Red Bull Arena — a qualified success, attracting a crowd of 14,811.
That game was played during the Six Nations but Mark McCall's European Champions — chasing a 'double double' of back-to-back league and European success — could be nearer full strength for the Falcons clash, depending on the knock-on effect of the Lions tour."

Full Story: - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... -Saracens-
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The demographics of all this new USA pro football (soccer) and Rugby tells a tale. Soccer is drawing huge crowds bolstered by the Latino population in the west and midwest. Rugby, at least for the last visiting round and this new fixture, is focusing on the Northeast where the bulk of the audience will be strong NFL fans and used to be majority European descent. I'm assuming it still is. The Ivy League universities of the Northeast also have the longest established Rugby conference in the country as far as I'm aware. Pete :cheers:

http://www.ivyrugby.com/
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Some cracking rugby on today - the highlights (for me) being the Semi-Finals of the Aviva Premiership with Exeter playing hosts to the European Champions Sarries, and Wasps taking on Leicester.

Both matches amongst many others can be accessed online through http://cricfree.sc/rugby-live-streaming.

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Exeter did it, didn't they. :D Some great last minute action. Saracens could well have run out of gas given their recent EU match. My 10 Baht is on them now taking the championship. Pete :cheers:

EDIT: I just looked on the Aviva site and as expected tickets are gone. How many does Twickenham hold....60,000 + -? It will be quite a match! :D
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ Capacity is 82,000 per google! :shock: ...and it is completely sold out. Pete :cheers: