Thongchai Jaidee

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Thongchai Jaidee

Post by BaaBaa. »

I've never struck a ball but I watch.
I was wondering if you lot who understand the game reckon this guy could go any further and really mix it with the top top tier?
I understand he's at a very high level but can he push on?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

He didn't turn pro until rather late in life. I think he's 40 now and was career military up to when he went on the circuit. I've seen him choke somewhat twice recently. First was the Euro/Asia Championship match play here in Thailand a few weeks ago. Second was the Dubai Desert Classic, tied at the end of 3 rounds and in the 4th he missed an easy birdie putt to go into the playoff. He came in 3rd. Good player but I don't think he'll go much further. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here's his stats and bio for 2010. Can't find for 2009. Pete :cheers:

http://sports.cbs5.com/golf/golfer.asp? ... olfer=3202
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Re: Thongchai Jaidee

Post by PeteC »

He was tied for the lead of the Ballantine's Classic in Korea after two rounds. He had a disastrous 75 in the final round to finish tied for 9th with five others. He won this event last year. Pete :cheers:

http://www.ballantineschampionship.com/en/home.aspx
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

So no confusion when viewing the above link, the tournament was reduced to 54 holes due to bad weather. Pete :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Thailand's Thongchai Jaidee makes ace at US Open
AP

52 mins ago

PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. – No good scores to be had at Pebble Beach? Don't tell that to Thongchai Jaidee (TONG-chi jay-DEE) of Thailand.

Jaidee made the first hole-in-one of this year's U.S. Open, acing the fifth hole during early play in Saturday's third round.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

He's good but many rising stars in the wings. Some Thai/farang players on the way up
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Thongchai wins in Cambodia

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews ... n-cambodia

* Published: 13/12/2010 at 01:48 AM
* Online news:

SIEM REAP: Thailand's Thongchai Jaidee was in a class of his own as he cruised to an unprecedented 13th Asian Tour title at the Johnnie Walker Cambodian Open on Sunday.

The untouchable three-time Asian Tour Order of Merit winner posted a final-round seven-under-par 65 to win the 300,000-dollar event in Siem Reap by four shots with a four-day total of 267.

Japan's Kenichi Kuboya, who had held the lead for three rounds, had to settle for a disappointing second place after signing off with a 70 for a 271 total at the Phokeethra Country Club.

"I played really solid all week and I've no complaints. This is my second win at the Johnnie Walker Cambodia Open and I'm really proud of myself," said Thongchai.

There was little to choose between him and Kuboya until the Japanese made a costly mess at the par-three 14th with a double bogey, giving Thongchai a three-shot lead.

Thongchai stormed home convincingly with three birdies in his last three holes to secure his first win this season and a record 13th career title on the Asian Tour.

"If I continue my good form, there is a good chance of winning again next week," said Thongchai of his title aspirations at next week's Black Mountain Masters in Hua Hin in his homeland, the Asian Tour's season finale.

South Korea's Kim Hyung-Sung returned with a 72 to take third place on 273 while India's Anirban Lahiri and Guido Van der Valk of the Netherlands took a share of fourth place on matching 274s.

Australia's Marcus Both, together with Malaysia's Iain Steel and Thailand's Prayad Marksaeng, took equal sixth on 275.

While Lahiri's hopes of winning his maiden Asian Tour title did not materialise this week, he was able to take comfort with his solid play that led him to this third top-10 finish this season.

"I only made one mistake today, a triple bogey on the seventh hole but I'm really proud that I made four birdies in a row after that to come back into it," said Lahiri.

Steel could only rue his calamitous hole at the 14th during his opening round, where he recorded an eight which cost him his chance of winning his maiden Asian Tour title.

"It was just one bad hole which cost me the tournament this week. Apart from that, it was a birdie-fest," said the Malaysian.

Leading final-round scores at the Johnnie Walker Cambodian Open on Sunday:

267 - Thongchai Jaidee (THA) 70-67-65-65
271 - Kenichi Kuboya (JPN) 65-67-69-70
273 - Kim Hyung-Sung (KOR) 69-65-67-72
274 - Guido Van Der Valk (NED) 69-67-68-70, Anirban Lahiri (IND) 73-67-65-69
275 - Marcus Both (AUS) 67-69-68-71, Prayad Marksaeng (THA) 71-69-64-71, Iain Steel (MAS) 72-66-71-66
277 - Martin Rominger (SUI) 70-68-67-72
278 - Shaaban Hussin (MAS) 70-68-70-70, Mo Joong-Kyung (KOR) 68-69-73-68, Mark Foster (ENG) 73-68-69-68
279 - Adam Groom (AUS) 68-66-72-73, Lucas Lee (BRA) 70-67-70-72, Thaworn Wiratchant (THA) 69-70-70-70, Lam Chih Bing (SIN) 69-70-72-68, Antonio Lascuna (PHI) 69-71-73-66
280 - Artemio Murakami (PHI) 73-68-68-71,
281 - Rory Hie (INA) 69-67-72-73, Mardan Mamat (SIN) 70-69-71-71, Siddikur (BAN) 67-73-72-69, Himmat Rai (IND) 71-71-70-69
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

I watched Thongchai at the Skins game at Amata springs - this guy is a very impressive striker and very calm on the course. Great ambassador also, he does lots of work with young golfers and is a real gentleman non the course. Can we win on the european tour..... he sure can, just needs some luck at the right time! :thumb:
Ken
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Ken »

Agree with JW.

Thongchai is a fantastic golfer and despite so many outstanding players on the circuit, he has had some excellent results. Let's face it, to be even in the top 250 in the world requires you to be able to play unbelievable golf that us mortals can only dream about. Even our JW, good as he is!

We normally follow Thongchai at the Scottish Open where Tan chats up his caddy to get one of Thongchai's golf balls. A real gentleman.

Current Thai weather should prepare him well for the cold winds of Scotland in July!
Ken
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Ken »

Just to add:-

Thonchai is currently 65th in the world and there are probably 5/6 Thais in top 250.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

Yes he can! I know Thongchai personally. (I have refereed many tournaments that he has played in.) I have seen him under pressure, I have seen his work ethic and I have no doubt that he can excel at any level. As Ken said he is 65th in the world. Not bad. He plays on all tours now. WInning is all about putting yourself in contention over and over and then when the chance comes, seize the opportunity. He has shown that he can do this. Every 2nd and 3rd place finish has taught him something. He looks at this as growth. That is what it takes. Toughest game in the world. Where else do you loose 98% of the time. He has many years and wins ahead of him.
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Top guy liked by everyone and a really deserving winner in bloody horrible conditions - great day for Thai golf. :thumb:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Thongchai in, Prayad out at Open
AFPAFP – 2 hrs 28 mins ago

Thongchai, a triple Asian Tour number one, shot a one-over-par 71 to safely make the weekend rounds at Royal Lytham and St Annes on level par 140.

But countryman Prayad?s Open misery was extended for at least another year after missing his fifth cut.

The 42-year-old Thongchai was rock solid throughout his afternoon round and was unlucky not to finish with a second straight 70 after his birdie attempt from 10 feet at the last hole burned the edge of the cup.

A weekend appearance will boost his hopes of qualifying for next month?s PGA Championship as the 105th ranked Thongchai needs to break into the top-100 in the world.

"Hard day. Made the cut which is very important for this event," said Thongchai, who took his run of made cuts to 11 straight tournaments.

"No complaints today. I just missed two fairways and made one birdie. It was a good game plan. Played solid and played my own game. I look forward to the next two days."

With only three shots separating the former Thai paratrooper from the top-five, he is planning a weekend charge in the world?s oldest major.

But the recent Wales Open champion knows he must remain patient on the links and continue to keep his driver tucked safely in the bag.

"The pins were tough, every hole was on a slope. I hit it solid. I don?t care about the leaders. Two more rounds. I only used one driver on 11. A lot of three wood and irons and it is a good game plan.

Prayad shot a second straight 75 to miss the halfway cut for the fifth time since making his debut in 1999.

The 46-year-old was lost for words after signing for a card which included one double bogey, five bogeys and two birdies for a two-day total of 150.

"The first three holes, I was already four over. I kept hooking my shots. I don?t know why. Maybe I?ve got too many layers on as it was cold. I?ve got three layers on today," said Prayad.

"I don?t like the course. Maybe, the new players like Prom and Kiradech can play well. I?ll try to qualify again but I don?t understand why I can?t play well when I get here."