The Rugby Thread

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
pharvey

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post by pharvey »

With the scheduling and broadcasting of the (Home Nation) games, I got to see Scotland vs Samoa, Wales vs Australia and the highlights (or "low-lights") of England vs Argentina. Unfortunately I didn't get to see any of the Ireland vs SA game, which judging by the fantastic result for Ireland would have been well worth a watch! Perhaps I can pick-up on YouTube in a little while :thumb:

Scotland vs Samoa was quite a game, it must be said - 82 points and 11 tries in total! With Scotland scoring a try in the first 3-4 minutes, you could have been inclined to believe it was going to be a one-sided contest, which couldn't have been further from the truth.
End to end stuff with some huge hits going in - there'll certainly be some sore bodies this morning! It seemed every time Scotland appeared to get the upper hand (at least on the scoreboard), Samoa would hit back. Two outstanding players for me were the two Fly-halves Nanai-Williams and Finn Russell with a special mention (as per the norm) for Scottish Full-back Stuart Hogg.
I don't think the Scottish Defense Coach is going to be a happy bunny this morning, but that's not taking anything away from Samoa who'll be rueing a missed opportunity.

Wales vs Australia: - As a Welshman, obviously disappointed with the result, but there were a fair few positives that came out of an exciting game. Wales had selected a new look and fairly inexperienced team partly due to several injuries and partly looking forward towards the Rugby World Cup and tactical/playing options. Overall, the "newbies" played well and Owen Williams looks to be a good and valid option at Inside Center. Steff Evans on the Left Wing was also a positive, seemingly beating the first tackle every time - unfortunately not making the meters at this level as he has been doing all season for the Scarlets..... Also had the ball ripped from him by (the cheating b@rsteward) Kurtley Beale for his non-try ( :wink: ).

Key Points/Moments IMHO: -

Some very poor defense by Wales at times, highlighted by the ease at which Australia scored with the driving maul. Australia on the other hand had a great defense.
Poor games from two of the "senior players" - Gareth Davies who (as DM quite rightly says) had a 'mare of a game and was completely outplayed by "Man of the Match" Will Genia, and Taulupe Faletau who for once wasn't the stand-out player. Several handling errors proving costly and certainly a quiet day for him at the breakdown by his standards - a bad day at the office overall.
The final pass not going to hand for Wales on several occasions - trying too hard at times (for the miracle pass) I think, where it wasn't needed.
Australia's try in added time at the end of the first half seemed to be a bit of a killer blow, although Wales did come back in the second half.
That was until Beale's "non-try" :roll: :cry: . I say "non-try" as he did lose control of the ball and knock on when he went to ground, before re-gathering and running half the length of the field to score under the posts. It was frustrating that it wasn't picked up by the officials, but at the end of the day (aside from the knock-on :wink: ) it was a moment of brilliance from Beale and many tries have been (and will be) given despite (missed) infringements.

Overall, the positives outweigh the negatives and we just need to cut out the silly errors and be a little more patient in general game-play IMO.

England vs Argentina: - Very difficult to comment from the little I saw of the game, but judging by some of the comments I have heard/Read, it was a very patchy display by England in a very "forgettable" game. A noticeable exception apparently was Bath's Sam Underhill. I follow Bath Rugby closely and have to say Underhill has been very impressive at the breakdown and in contact - he's certainly pushing hard to make the No. 7 shirt his own.

Here's to the next round - although I don't think I'm going to get to see much in Iran (a pity as I was looking forward to England vs Australia)!! :cry:

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It seems not to be televised here either except by FOX whose coverage is not as comprehensive as when Setanta has the contract. I too will be relying on You Tube after most matches are over it seems. :( Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

I've not really been keeping up with the Rugby League World Cup, for fear of unwittingly catching Wales "playing" or seeing a result such as the 50-6 drubbing handed out by Papua New Guinea earlier in the Pool stages.... :oops:

However, whilst waiting for the Scotland vs Samoa (Union) match yesterday, I watched highlights of the New Zealand vs Tonga match - a hell of a game based on what I saw and a major upset. The pace at which the game was played, the ball handling, the offloads - absolutely superb :bow: ....... I only wish Wales could have replicated the ball handling skills yesterday against Australia!! :roll:

Passions were high from the outset - highlighted by New Zealand's Haka and Tonga's Sipi Tau. Tonga's reaction to the Haka was quite something: -

I watched the extended highlights, but here are the tries!! :thumb:

Based on this and the fact that it's now at the Quarter Final stages, I'm going to be following this tournament a lot more closely! :thumb:

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

November Internationals

phpPMNziEAM.jpg
phpPMNziEAM.jpg (20.35 KiB) Viewed 571 times

Round #1 RZR 10.5 points
Round #2 Iron Jack 9.0 points
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

A surprise to me. He hasn't been playing much for Racing lately but I thought it was because of injury, perhaps not? He's on the down side of the career curve and perhaps Japan is his last stop. The $$$ must be real good though! :D Pete :cheers:

Screen Shot 2017-11-26 at 04.42.09.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-26 at 04.42.09.png (67.89 KiB) Viewed 540 times
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

November Internationals

Japan and France tie 23-23! :shock:

phpJNmEfhPM.jpg
phpJNmEfhPM.jpg (19.72 KiB) Viewed 536 times

Round #1 RZR 10.5 points
Round #3 Oz 5.5 points
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

November Internationals

:thumb: to Wales!

phpF3nKxMPM.jpg
phpF3nKxMPM.jpg (20.11 KiB) Viewed 493 times

Round #1 RZR 10.5 points
Round #3 Oz 5.5 points
Round #4 Big Boy & Selgwent 2.0 points
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Well, Saracens certainly had their backsides handed to them yesterday evening at Allianz Park.

Re-arranged due to the "adverse weather", the reigning champions of Europe were were well and truly beaten by an on fire Clermont-Auvergne side.

This was actually a repeat of last year's European Champions Cup Final which Sarries won 28 v 17 - yesterday's match was somewhat different! Clermont winger Raka completed his hat-trick inside 25 minutes :shock: Can't say I've seen much of this guy, but based on this performance, he truly is a frightening prospect. Fijian born, but I believe qualifies for France through the residency ruling - I have a sneaking suspicion we'll see him in "Les Bleus" come the Six Nations.

The final score was a whopping 46 v 14 to Clermont. It was the first time in around 30 months and 20 matches that Sarries were beaten in European rugby, their 6th straight defeat (worst run in 14 years) and their heaviest home defeat in God knows how long - not good times.......... And to top it off, they're heading to France to play the return match next Sunday.

All in all, not a good round for the English clubs - all 7 being beaten in the same round for the first time in European Rugby.

Things can only get better (can't they?).

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Not long to go now!! :dance: :clap: :sun: :clap: :dance:
6N-R1-R2.PNG
6N-R1-R2.PNG (77.82 KiB) Viewed 399 times
6N-R3-R4.PNG
6N-R3-R4.PNG (72.16 KiB) Viewed 399 times
6N-R5.PNG
6N-R5.PNG (36.74 KiB) Viewed 399 times
Unusual to see Les Bleus playing at the Orange Veledrome this year (well 1 match anyway)......

lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

Have we got a competition for that.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

lindosfan1 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:49 pm Have we got a competition for that.
There is now :thumb:

Players from previous rugby tournaments should have received an invitation by email - if not, and for any others interested in joining, the pool details are as follows: -

https://www.superbru.com/sixnations/pool.php?p=11784186

Pool name: HHF 6 Nations 2018

Pool code: sakiinns

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Joined, I think.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

I am in thanks
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Up to 6 thus far...... :thumb:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (30.9 KiB) Viewed 341 times
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

And the odds.......
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (28.57 KiB) Viewed 340 times