Book Group/Writers

New members login and say hello here. Please read our Forum Starter Pack and Terms and Conditions before posting if you are new to this forum.
pinksquid

Post by pinksquid »

Lev wrote:I'm guessing most women get put off by the name before they go any further into the site.
That and some of the anti-women remarks. While I know most of it is in jest, some may not. It took me reading for a few months before I figured out when some posters call women fat greedy whatevers they don't mean it. :thumb:
pinksquid

Post by pinksquid »

I would like to join in a book club. I'm moving to Hua Hin between December and February-- making the last family and friends rounds now.
hollygolightly1

Post by hollygolightly1 »

I think pinksquid has a good point about some of the ways in which opinions have been expressed in the so-called women's forum (what happened to it being a "friendly" place?!) Look forward to your arrival pinksquid!
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

pinksquid wrote: That and some of the anti-women remarks. While I know most of it is in jest, some may not. It took me reading for a few months before I figured out when some posters call women fat greedy whatevers they don't mean it. :thumb:
Just ignore them, its only the fat, balding, miserable men that make comments like that anyway. :thumb:

Welcome to HHAD by the way.

Any suggestions on how to improve the women's (or any other) section are welcome, we need the feedback to improve.
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Lev wrote:I'm guessing most women get put off by the name before they go any further into the site.
I don't think the logo helps either! :P
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

Jaime wrote: I don't think the logo helps either! :P
All changing slowly slowly, its no longer on Front page if you notice.
hollygolightly1

You have to admit that logo was a bit 'Tales of the Unexpected'/Bond titles/70s style... Hope I haven't offended the designer...
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

hollygolightly1 wrote:You have to admit that logo was a bit 'Tales of the Unexpected'/Bond titles/70s style... Hope I haven't offended the designer...
That's what I liked about it! Can understand females being put off by it though....
hollygolightly1

Maybe the figure was a ladyboy :)
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

Following on from this and to pull this one back on topic I've started a new thread here:

http://www.huahinafterdark.com/forum/vi ... php?t=3915

Though I may end up regretting it!
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

hollygolightly1 wrote:Maybe the figure was a ladyboy :)
How can you tell the difference? Or is that what they all say? :P
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

Personally I collect 'Gerald Durrell' 1st editions, Really good writer, funny and with great pro's. Also P.G Wodehouse he was great at writing amazing pro's. I would be happy to attend any meeting of the 'Hua Hin Book Club' (HHBC) Hussar!
www.35mmview.com
pinksquid

Post by pinksquid »

Lev wrote:Just ignore them, its only the fat, balding, miserable men that make comments like that anyway. :thumb:
Poor chaps!
Lev wrote:Welcome to HHAD by the way.
Thank you. I will probably post in spurts because I will be traveling (without Internet access) for long stretches at a time this year.
Lev wrote:Any suggestions on how to improve the women's (or any other) section are welcome, we need the feedback to improve.
I think there is nothing that could be done other than getting a few women to post more frequently. :thumb:
As of mid August I am on vacation via traveling around the globe and I am not returning until the end of November (I have no Internet access until I return). Have fun!
pinksquid

Post by pinksquid »

hollygolightly1 wrote:I think pinksquid has a good point about some of the ways in which opinions have been expressed in the so-called women's forum (what happened to it being a "friendly" place?!)
Yes, I like to give most things a proper "go" so when I noticed a few negative ninnies I made it a point to read for a few months to get a fuller picture-- I do not like to judge a book by its cover and all that. That said, it would probably be a bit nicer in the women's section to get rid of the anti-women remarks (even if in jest) or at least have some sort of notice to ignore it. After all, many people coming here may not have English as their first language (and even for those who do) so they may not get who is joking and who is not.
hollygolightly1 wrote:Look forward to your arrival pinksquid!
I am looking forward to arriving. I will be quite happy to be finished with tying up loose ends here! :D
As of mid August I am on vacation via traveling around the globe and I am not returning until the end of November (I have no Internet access until I return). Have fun!
hollygolightly1

Randy Cornhole wrote:Personally I collect 'Gerald Durrell' 1st editions, Really good writer, funny and with great pro's. Also P.G Wodehouse he was great at writing amazing pro's. I would be happy to attend any meeting of the 'Hua Hin Book Club' (HHBC) Hussar!
Glad more readers are coming out of the closet! We had got as far as a date and place for a meeting but no time :(
so perhaps those around can pm me or post a convenient date and time next week and we can try again.