Hello all. Newbie in Manchester.

New members login and say hello here. Please read our Forum Starter Pack and Terms and Conditions before posting if you are new to this forum.
OldBoyRacer
Rookie
Rookie

Sawadeekraaaap. Newbie from Manchester UK.

Post by OldBoyRacer »

Hello all,

New guy here.
This seems like a busy and knowledgeable place, so I hope I can pick wizened brains about another middle-aged fools plan to move to Hua Hin with his beautiful Thai girlfriend!

TIA.
OldBoyRacer
Rookie
Rookie

Hello all. Newbie in Manchester.

Post by OldBoyRacer »

Hello all,

Just to introduce myself.
My name is Bobby, I am another middle-aged fool looking to sell up and move to Thailand (no dependants), to be with the beautiful Thai lady I met at Sala Daeng BTS 3 years ago.

I will be hoping to glean some wisdom and advice on visa and real estate laws and scrub rounds.

Cheers.
Bobby
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Hello all. Newbie in Manchester.

Post by dtaai-maai »

I must be older than I thought. Never heard of scrub rounds, so had to google it, and I'm still not entirely sure! Do you mean ways to get round the rules?

Welcome to the forum, by the way!
This is the way
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

Welcome aboard - have a read of this to get you going: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10054
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

dtaai-maai wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:27 am I must be older than I thought. Never heard of scrub rounds, so had to google it, and I'm still not entirely sure! Do you mean ways to get round the rules?

Back in the navy we used it to 'not do' or 'ignore'.

Scrub round doing this. or Scrub round doing that.

"You were told to do 'such and such'. Well scrub round that. You don't need to."
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Hi Bobby
Some advice.. From someone who's been here around thirty years. Don't take it to heart, but rather with a large pinch of salt..
1. Don't burn bridges. Keep your property, don't sell up. Not at your age.
2. Enjoy the GFE while it lasts. (girl friend experience)
3. As another poster advised, anything you invest here in someone else's name will belong to that person. Don't.
4. Learn some basics of the language before you come or you will be totally dependent (read: at the mercy of) someone else.
If you want, come for extended stays. It'll keep you sane Also at your age, the present political conundrums conundrums are not conducive for long term stay.
Tempting as our may as it may seem to you, try to rationalize your situation.
As my Thai friend puts it, 'the rainflies are fatally attracted to the kerosene lamp'.
วินเชนท์
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

You gave more details in your other posts---cant tell you how many times--guys come here---ask for advice---don't listen--a year later sitting in a bar, head in hands saying--Why didnt I listen, why didn't I lisren, how could I be so stupid???
As for Thai house --Rent, don't buy. I have a friend here-- was a solicitor in M'ster, has lived here almost 10 years his advice Rent don't buy. Some would say the same about Thai ladies.
buksida

Post by buksida »

You also mentioned being in mid-40s and not married. You will have a living nightmare trying to get a visa extended in Hua Hin (even if you are married). Sorry if it is all negative but take it from the people that have 'been there and done it'.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
OldBoyRacer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by OldBoyRacer »

HHTel wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:12 am
dtaai-maai wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:27 am I must be older than I thought. Never heard of scrub rounds, so had to google it, and I'm still not entirely sure! Do you mean ways to get round the rules?

Back in the navy we used it to 'not do' or 'ignore'.

Scrub round doing this. or Scrub round doing that.

"You were told to do 'such and such'. Well scrub round that. You don't need to."

My old Uni mate was in the Navy or Mob as he called it before leaving and going to Uni - he was quite a character compared to the just left Mummy's apron strings 18 year olds.
He would throw foul mouthed vitriol at Police, Bouncers, College barstaff for any perceived condescension.

He had a catalogue of Naval phrase - to Scrub round, means to avoid moving the heavy on deck object during cleaning detail - hence to scrub round.
OldBoyRacer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by OldBoyRacer »

buksida wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:53 am You also mentioned being in mid-40s and not married. You will have a living nightmare trying to get a visa extended in Hua Hin (even if you are married). Sorry if it is all negative but take it from the people that have 'been there and done it'.

What do you lot do for visas?

My gf seems to think a 90 visa run situ is possible indefinitely - the idea of living my life like this seems scary and unstable.
buksida

Post by buksida »

OldBoyRacer wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:18 pm scary and unstable.
Welcome to Thailand. :mrgreen:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson