Just a wee introduction

New members login and say hello here. Please read our Forum Starter Pack and Terms and Conditions before posting if you are new to this forum.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Just a wee introduction

Post by dtaai-maai »

ScottishSwedes. Bear in mind that instead of having 800k sitting uselessly in a Thai bank, you can simply provide a letter from your embassy confirming that you have an income equivalent to 65k or more in your home country. It's a simple risk-free process.
This is the way
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

ScottishSwedes wrote: I'm 51 so no problems there with the age thing but my wife is only in her thirties so she has a bit to wait for the retirement thing.
I believe this has come up before and as I recall I think so long as you qualify by virtue of being over the age of 50 and meet the financial parameters, your wife can piggyback on your visa, regardless of her age. But again, someone more qualified than I in these matters, might like to confirm or otherwise.
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote:I agree that it shouldn't make any difference, but you know as well as I do, it can depend on the mood of the Immigration Officer on the day.

As an example, because of recent Immigration whims, my bank, [Edit] Kasikorn, Market Village would not issue my letter 2 weeks ago until I'd made a transaction that day - I simply stood up, walked outside and drew 1000 baht from the ATM. However, I think we've had people complaining on here that a same day transaction was required.
This is not really the thread for this, although it is relevant. The only reason that you have to do a transaction is because MOST banks cannot update your book unless there is an outstanding transaction. The date on your letter has to be the SAME as the last UPDATE date in your book. If you had made a transaction a few days before, but not updated your book, you would NOT have to make a withdrawal, and the bank would update your book.

Yes, there is another thread about it, with the usual "I know better than you" comments.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30018
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

But there is a machine outside the bank that can do the update, and at times when that machine is broken (quite often), the bank will update the book without a transaction.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote:But there is a machine outside the bank that can do the update, and at times when that machine is broken (quite often), the bank will update the book without a transaction.
ONLY if there is an outstanding transaction! :cuss:
If there is no outstanding transaction the machine will simply display "account is current", or something similar.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK, but I had about a dozen transactions to be updated - one from the day before, but they insisted I had to make another transaction. It was no hardship, just pointing out that it was just another Immigration whim that isn't actually a global requirement.

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote:OK, but I had about a dozen transactions to be updated - one from the day before, but they insisted I had to make another transaction. It was no hardship, just pointing out that it was just another Immigration whim that isn't actually a global requirement.
Big Boy, please read that which I have posted. The update has to have the same date as the letter from the bank. Whether that is global or not, I have no idea, but unusually for Thailand, it does have some logic. :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I know what you are saying, but where is the requirement laid down? Just another stipulation that has come about in the last 12 months. It never used to be a requirement.

As I said, it depends on the mood of the officer that deals with your extension on the day.

[Edit] If it is laid down somewhere, it is still down to the officer dealing with your extension whether it is enforced or not.

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Who knows? I think it came about when they introduced the 3 months in the account rule. As I posted in the other thread, I keep mine in a fixed term account, and the requirement does no come up.
ScottishSwedes
Novice
Novice

Post by ScottishSwedes »

Big Boy wrote:Yes, every renewal date. I think the idea is that Immigration can see you using the money to live in Thailand. If the money stays static, then there could be suspicion regarding where the money that you are living on is coming from e.g. coming from work that you are doing whilst living in Thailand.
That makes no sense because if I spend it and it goes under I get deported. If I don't spend it they think I'm working illegally and I get deported. If I spend it and replace it they could also think I'm working illegally seeing as I won't qualify for my pension as of yet and I get deported.
Lol :laugh: confusing or what?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Not necessarily. If you have an income, as I think you will do, then you also have the opportunity to get a letter from your embassy confirming your earnings. You can use the letter alone if you wish, or mix and match e.g. if you forget to top up, and only have 600,000 in the bank for the 3 months, you would need to prove monthly earnings of about 18,000 Baht/month.

Nobody is trying to deport you. Even if you fail to make the cut one year, Immigration will work with you to help you through :wink:

Points 41; Position 18