Newbie with some questions

New members login and say hello here. Please read our Forum Starter Pack and Terms and Conditions before posting if you are new to this forum.
mj76
Novice
Novice

Newbie with some questions

Post by mj76 »

I have never been to Thailand so this may sound crazy ... but I am looking at it as a serious retirement option.

I'm 40 this year and although i'm realistically 10 years off it being a serious option, I will make my first of, hopefully, many trips later this year.

Hua Hin looks ideal for me. I'm not much of a drinker any more and I like the idea of walking my dogs on the beaches. It also looks reasonably priced compared to Phuket.

There are a couple of main questions that I have ...

A retirement visa, an option for when I hit 50, will give me 1 year at a time without having to do a visa run? I can also leave the country once and come back if required (prob won't). I'd still need to report online or in person every 90 days?

In terms of a car, more likely to be a truck. Could someone explain the taxation on a new vehicle? Let's use a Ford Ranger Wildtrak 2.2 at 1m THB as an example.

Thanks in advance. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions in time.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: Newbie with some questions

Post by hhfarang »

mj76 wrote:I have never been to Thailand so this may sound crazy ... but I am looking at it as a serious retirement option.

I'm 40 this year and although i'm realistically 10 years off it being a serious option, I will make my first of, hopefully, many trips later this year.

Hua Hin looks ideal for me. I'm not much of a drinker any more and I like the idea of walking my dogs on the beaches. It also looks reasonably priced compared to Phuket.

There are a couple of main questions that I have ...

A retirement visa, an option for when I hit 50, will give me 1 year at a time without having to do a visa run? I can also leave the country once and come back if required (prob won't). I'd still need to report online or in person every 90 days?

In terms of a car, more likely to be a truck. Could someone explain the taxation on a new vehicle? Let's use a Ford Ranger Wildtrak 2.2 at 1m THB as an example.

Thanks in advance. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions in time.
Yes, with a non immigrant OA (retirement) visa you get a year in the country before you have to extend for another year (done locally at the Hua HIn immigration office) but you still have to fill out a one page form mainly stating where you live and submit it to immigration every 90 days. With that visa you never have to leave the country. I spent 8 of my 10 years there without leaving Thailand.

As for the taxation on a new vehicle (I assume you're talking about sales tax), it is added to the price of the vehicle and will make the price of it 20 to 30% higher than in the U.S. (less difference from the price of the vehicle in European countries, but I think still higher in Thailand).
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
mj76
Novice
Novice

Post by mj76 »

Thanks hhfarang for the reply :cheers:

That is excellent news. With having dogs that would have been a ballache having to do visa runs. That is also better than I hoped not having to do any runs at all.

With regards to the cars, would the main Ford.th site price already include the required tax? I am a Brit so am used to being shafted on car prices.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Be wary of Ford. I bought a new Ranger when I came here. When I tried to upgrade to the latest model 2.5 years later, my low mileage, very well maintained car had, according to Ford depreciated in value by about 55%. Not a good admission by a main dealer. Therefore, a new Ford is for life, unless you have money to throw away - beautiful car by the way.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
mj76
Novice
Novice

Post by mj76 »

Big Boy wrote:Be wary of Ford. I bought a new Ranger when I came here. When I tried to upgrade to the latest model 2.5 years later, my low mileage, very well maintained car had, according to Ford depreciated in value by about 55%. Not a good admission by a main dealer. Therefore, a new Ford is for life, unless you have money to throw away - beautiful car by the way.
Thanks for the reply big boy. That is steep. What would you have got private for it at that stage?

How about the tax? Is that already quoted on the price on their website do you know? Or is it something that hits the doormat later on?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

mj76 wrote:Thanks hhfarang for the reply :cheers:

That is excellent news. With having dogs that would have been a ballache having to do visa runs. That is also better than I hoped not having to do any runs at all.

With regards to the cars, would the main Ford.th site price already include the required tax? I am a Brit so am used to being shafted on car prices.
Normally the price quoted by the dealer is the full price including tax and often for the first year they throw in a years insurance. Then yearly it's less than 20,000 baht for first class insurance and a road tax of less than 10,000. Just be warned that most buyers of Fords are not very happy with the service they get from the Hua Hin dealer. Servicing costs are cheap by UK standards.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

That is excellent news. With having dogs that would have been a ballache having to do visa runs. That is also better than I hoped not having to do any runs at all .
Are you considering bring your dogs to Thailand? If so happy to give you a run down on our experience and process if you require.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

mj76 wrote:[What would you have got private for it at that stage?
I was so insulted, I decided a Ford was for life in Thailand, so I didn't bother following it up. After I'd told them that their offer was insult, they asked me how much I wanted, but I'm not into the bartering game.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

mj76 wrote: Thanks for the reply big boy. That is steep. What would you have got private for it at that stage
If you are trying to figure out what you can reasonably expect for a used car I have attached a link for a popular used car private/dealer sales site. It used to be in both English and Thai however it is now just Thai. It is daily easy to work through once you work out what links do what.
Second link posted takes you through to ford Rangers currently advertised.

http://www.taladrod.com/w30/Home/

http://www.taladrod.com/w30/iCar/SchC.a ... +p1:0+p2:0
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Bluesky...thanks for those links..I liked some of those Rangers myself.. :cheers:
mj76
Novice
Novice

Post by mj76 »

Dannie Boy wrote:

Normally the price quoted by the dealer is the full price including tax and often for the first year they throw in a years insurance. Then yearly it's less than 20,000 baht for first class insurance and a road tax of less than 10,000. Just be warned that most buyers of Fords are not very happy with the service they get from the Hua Hin dealer. Servicing costs are cheap by UK standards.
Thanks Dannie, that'll help me budget. Do you use an alternative to the main Ford Hh dealer?
mj76
Novice
Novice

Post by mj76 »

Bluesky wrote:

That is excellent news. With having dogs that would have been a ballache having to do visa runs. That is also better than I hoped not having to do any runs at all .
Are you considering bring your dogs to Thailand? If so happy to give you a run down on our experience and process if you require.
Thanks for links bluesky.

How old were your dog's when you brought them over? I wouldn't want to bring mine if too old as it may kill them off early.
mj76
Novice
Novice

Post by mj76 »

Big Boy wrote:
mj76 wrote:[What would you have got private for it at that stage?
I was so insulted, I decided a Ford was for life in Thailand, so I didn't bother following it up. After I'd told them that their offer was insult, they asked me how much I wanted, but I'm not into the bartering game.
Don't blame you. Some decent 2nd hand ones on that link so will probably go down that route.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

mj76 wrote:
Thanks Dannie, that'll help me budget. Do you use an alternative to the main Ford Hh dealer?
yes........Mitsubishi!!
My comment about the HH Ford dealer was simply what others had written about them on this Forum, which is a shame as out of the big trucks, the Ranger seems to get the best reports.
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

mj76 wrote:I'm 40 this year and although i'm realistically 10 years off it being a serious option.... It also looks reasonably priced compared to Phuket.....A retirement visa, an option for when I hit 50....
With 10 years before you might seriously be looking to move to Thailand permanently, don't you think you might really be starting your search a tad early??

I'm all for forward planning, however Hua Hin is changing at such a pace and the rules and regulations in Thailand seem to never sit still, so that in 10 years time you might well feel very differently about the place.

HH is cheaper than Phuket, but bear in mind that it is one of the 4 most expensive places to live in Thailand, along with Phuket, Koh Samui and Bangkok (not necessarily in that order).

We started visiting HH in 2006 and although we don't live there permanently we do have a place there, however we have seen huge changes in the place during this time and not all of them for the better, by any means.

It's good that you will be visiting shortly to take a look for yourself, but I would suggest keeping an open mind and your options open and look at other locations in SE Asia also.

Good luck :cheers:
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......