Newbie with some questions

New members login and say hello here. Please read our Forum Starter Pack and Terms and Conditions before posting if you are new to this forum.
mj76
Novice
Novice

Re: Newbie with some questions

Post by mj76 »

aragon wrote:
mj76 wrote:I'm 40 this year and although i'm realistically 10 years off it being a serious option.... It also looks reasonably priced compared to Phuket.....A retirement visa, an option for when I hit 50....
With 10 years before you might seriously be looking to move to Thailand permanently, don't you think you might really be starting your search a tad early??

I'm all for forward planning, however Hua Hin is changing at such a pace and the rules and regulations in Thailand seem to never sit still, so that in 10 years time you might well feel very differently about the place.

HH is cheaper than Phuket, but bear in mind that it is one of the 4 most expensive places to live in Thailand, along with Phuket, Koh Samui and Bangkok (not necessarily in that order).

We started visiting HH in 2006 and although we don't live there permanently we do have a place there, however we have seen huge changes in the place during this time and not all of them for the better, by any means.

It's good that you will be visiting shortly to take a look for yourself, but I would suggest keeping an open mind and your options open and look at other locations in SE Asia also.

Good luck :cheers:
Thanks Aragon.

Definitely agree with your advice. I am open to other areas of Thailand, and potentially SE Asia, although I haven't done as much research on SE Asia as a whole. I regularly look into Samui, Phuket and Chiang Mai, although the lack of a beach is against the later.

This could also be an option before I was 50 as well, but I wouldn't want to be doing visa runs for the rest of my days, which would probably have put me off Thailand altogether. For a few years though I could take the visa runs as a travelling experience.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Re: Newbie with some questions

Post by Bluesky »

mj76 wrote:
Bluesky wrote:
mj76 wrote:Thanks hhfarang for the reply :cheers:

That is excellent news. With having dogs that would have been a ballache having to do visa runs. That is also better than I hoped not having to do any runs at all .
Are you considering bring your dogs to Thailand? If so happy to give you a run down on our experience and process if you require.
Thanks for links bluesky.

How old were your dog's when you brought them over? I wouldn't want to bring mine if too old as it may kill them off early.
Our dog was 18 months old, however had also gone through the process with a friend who had decided to bring his 5 beloved pooches from Oz to Thailand. His dogs ranged in age from 5 to 14 years of age.There are restrictions on the type of breeds Thai International will carry, short snouted dogs (brachycephalic) such as pugs Shitzus etc will not be accepted because of potential breathing difficulties. Also certain breeds are prohibited from entering the kingdom. Happy to step you through the process if it is a consideration.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-