New members login and say hello here. Please read our Forum Starter Pack and Terms and Conditions before posting if you are new to this forum.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Whoa! I hope this is some kind of friendly scando banter?

Norseman as grumpy old man? thats not reflected in his usually very pleasant posts. I thought it was only us Brits that morphed into grumpy old men?

Maybe there's some hidden depths to those mystic norsemen that I haven't discovered yet? :P
Talk is cheap
david83

Post by david83 »

Norseman wrote:Do you really have a free university in Sweden?
Free - NO cost at all??? No semester fee and free books?
Sorry, but I don't believe that, and what about the cost of living in Sweden?
Books aren´t free, alot cheaper than in the U.S but not free. No semester fee, there is something called student union fee that is mandatory, about $25 per yer and that is the only cost. When I say free I of course mean run by blood money a.k.a. taxes.

I used to go to university in Sweden before, I had student aid of approximately $900 per month in loan and grants from the government. This money is just about enough to have your own flat, eat decent food and go out to the bars a couple of nights a month. Sweden is cheap in some respects, living is really cheap, and expensive in other. Swedish students are probably the most spolied in the world though, they keep complaining about possibly having to share an apartment or room during their years, I had my own two bedroom in Gotheburg before and thought that was normal for a 19-year old :roll: After living in the U.K and U.S I realize that is ridiculous and just strange...

Anyways, Sweden is great. I however wanted to see other places and love travelling so I left.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

david83 wrote: Anyways, Sweden is great. I however wanted to see other places and love travelling so I left.
I do agree with you that Sweden is a great country. I'm born in Stockholm, (Karolinska), so I should know. I also left.
However; all the universities has to be paid for, not by the students but through the tax-system. An average student needs appx 8000 SEK pr month for the living costs in Sweden. When you graduate after 4-5 years your debts are almost 500.000 SEK which has to be paid back, with interest rate, when you've got yourself a job. A huge burden for many, later in life.

My point is that it's not free, it only looks free, at the moment!!
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
david83

Post by david83 »

Norseman wrote:
david83 wrote: Anyways, Sweden is great. I however wanted to see other places and love travelling so I left.
I do agree with you that Sweden is a great country. I'm born in Stockholm, (Karolinska), so I should know. I also left.
However; all the universities has to be paid for, not by the students but through the tax-system. An average student needs appx 8000 SEK pr month for the living costs in Sweden. When you graduate after 4-5 years your debts are almost 500.000 SEK which has to be paid back, with interest rate, when you've got yourself a job. A huge burden for many, later in life.

My point is that it's not free, it only looks free, at the moment!!
I agree somewhat, sometinhg that is paid by taxes is of course not free, paid by robbery according to me. However the average in loans should be around 22,900sek per semester*8(4 years is normal for s swedish education including master´s.)= 183,200sek. which is about $23,000 US or 915,000 Baht. Approximate but that is what I would have had if I stayed in Sweden, now I will have about 3,000,000Baht :roll: Plus other loans from family, approximately 500,000 Baht, when finished.

Jävla stockholmare :shock: , ha det gött och vi får ta en öl när jag och Scorpiolady kommer ner!
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Hi david83.
I welcome you and scorpiolady to HH and a beer.
Just remember I said I was born in Stockholm. Lived there only 4 years before moving westward.
Stockholm is a beautiful city, maybe the most beautiful capital in Europe!!
david83

Post by david83 »

Norseman wrote:Hi david83.
Just remember I said I was born in Stockholm. Lived there only 4 years before moving westward.
Thanks for the welcome, will see you there in a while I hope!

Right you are, Stockholm is beautiful and not many western cities can compare. The many green areas inside the city are amazing, too bad the social democrats decided to tear down all the old buildings and go with Soviet style buildings in the central part. Some friends of mine, from Lebanon, asked when there was a war and Stockholm was bombed and rebuilt :shock:
scorpiolady
Amateur
Amateur

Post by scorpiolady »

Norseman wrote:Hi david83.
Thank you Norseman! Im sorry must have missunderstod you somehow. Il be happy to see you and have a beer. But im not coming there until 1 of aug. :cheers:
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

That's fine scorpiolady. I'm here and will await the two of you.
Pm me before you go and I'll give you my telephone number.
scorpiolady
Amateur
Amateur

Post by scorpiolady »

Norseman wrote:That's fine scorpiolady. I'm here and will await the two of you.
Pm me before you go and I'll give you my telephone number.
Thanks man! How is the weather there in aug. ? Im going to have my son with me as well,he is 17 years old. Maybe my other son is coming to and he is 21. I have noticed by checking on the internet that there is a place called Tropical Hill and they have got much lower prices then what Im paying. Its in the same area and it made me wonder why my house is nearly doubble their prices. :?
david83

Post by david83 »

scorpiolady wrote:How is the weather there in aug.
The weather is hot, not sure how it normally is but both time I´ve been in that area in August it has been hot as hell :twisted: I guess that is in the middle of the rain season, never bothered me at all since it rained for about an hour or so every day!

Sound strange with your house being twice as expensive if it is the same standard and area :idea:
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Tropical Hill has the largest number of Swedish inhabitants in Hua Hin. Map reference 5B here: http://www.huahinafterdark.com/hua-hin-area-map.htm

The houses in tropical Hill is not the most expensive in Hua Hin, but they are nice and I think well constructed. The area is nice and clean, and they have a small swimmingpool there.
Tropical Hill 1 has a lot of Swedes, but I don't know much about TH 2.

And yes, August is hot, but April, May and June are the hottest months.
(Or perhaps I should say it is normallly the hottest months).

Thailand is situated in the tropics, you have to get used to the heat!!
scorpiolady
Amateur
Amateur

Post by scorpiolady »

david83 wrote:
scorpiolady wrote:How is the weather there in aug.
The weather is hot, not sure how it normally is but both time I´ve been in that area in August it has been hot as hell :twisted: I guess that is in the middle of the rain season, never bothered me at all since it rained for about an hour or so every day!

Sound strange with your house being twice as expensive if it is the same standard and area :idea:
Hi ! I dont know about their standard ,its difficult to see in pictures only ,maybe my house has better material. Anyway i hope their is a good explanation otherwise I feel a bit cheated :?
scorpiolady
Amateur
Amateur

Post by scorpiolady »

Norseman wrote:Tropical Hill has the largest number of Swedish inhabitants in Hua Hin. Map reference 5B here: http://www.huahinafterdark.com/hua-hin-area-map.htm

The houses in tropical Hill is not the most expensive in Hua Hin, but they are nice and I think well constructed. The area is nice and clean, and they have a small swimmingpool there.

Thank you! well I am allready buing my house so its to late to regret it. Its a nice house and only a smal area only 7 houses there. We have also got a pool in the area.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

scorpiolady wrote:
Norseman wrote:Tropical Hill has the largest number of Swedish inhabitants in Hua Hin. Map reference 5B here: http://www.huahinafterdark.com/hua-hin-area-map.htm

Thank you! well I am allready buing my house so its to late to regret it. Its a nice house and only a smal area only 7 houses there. We have also got a pool in the area.
Anything like shops etc? Or do you have to own a SUV just to get mobile and buy a packet of Mama noodles?
scorpiolady
Amateur
Amateur

Post by scorpiolady »

lomuamart wrote:
scorpiolady wrote:

Anything like shops etc? Or do you have to own a SUV just to get mobile and buy a packet of Mama noodles?
Sorry! dont understand what you meen?