Meeting new friends in Hua Hin

New members login and say hello here. Please read our Forum Starter Pack and Terms and Conditions before posting if you are new to this forum.
April
Novice
Novice

Meeting new friends in Hua Hin

Post by April »

Hi,
I am a Chinese teacher from mainland China and I am teaching in a international school. Since I have been here for only three weeks, I am wondering how can I find people around my age (20ish)and hang out in the weekends. I like working out but I can not find a gym, maybe spmeone could help me with it and we can become gym buddys.
I don't soeak Thai and it is very hard for me to communicate with Thai people, but my English is very good. I hope I can meet some friends who speak English or Chinese. I know it is really hard for me to build up my social circle alone in a brand new country but Hua Hin is a very multicultural city and please reply a post if someone wants to hangout.
Pali
Novice
Novice

Re: Meeting new friends in Hua Hin

Post by Pali »

We may work at the same school! I just moved here too. I'm a Thai teacher at Hua Hin International School. Please e-mail me then we can go to the gym together c_palirat@hotmail.com
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

April wrote:
I am a Chinese teacher from mainland China and I am teaching in a international school.
Just out of curiousity, how did you find/get your job? I am not interested in similar jobs, although I have qualifications to teach both English and Chinese but would just like to know how the procedure goes.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Also April and Pali as well, would be very interesting if you both would write on the forum how your life moves on in Hua Hin. These would be quite interesting stories to hear.
Pali
Novice
Novice

Post by Pali »

Hi Bamboo Grove,

Thank you for the question. My life moves on well. I went to Venezia yesterday but I wonder why it was so empty, also the beach. Is it always empty or is it only the rainy season? I am renting the room in Hin Lek Fai for 3700 baht a month and I think it's a bargain compared to Bangkok. Even though it's a basic room, but there are everything I need, air con, water heater, and the fridge. It doesn't have a proper kitchen or sink though so I am now thinking how to cook here. I've bought a second hand car but I am a scared to drive so thinking of having a driving lesson. I have a 3 year old daughter who is waiting to go to school in August so I am now researching in the forum for playgroups or places to go with children. I don't find much info on the topic yet but I will keep reading this forum as there is lots of useful info here.

From my first week here, I find people here very friendly and I feel very safe to live here. Hope I can find more friends, and activities to do in the future. Please pm me if you have any recommendations for me.

P.S.April, I've got a job in the school because of my teaching experience in the other international school I think.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Thank you, Pali. I read your story with great interest as it sort of reminds me of my own situation in Bangkok in 1989, when I moved there. So many things to consider and to start a new life, finding a room to stay, buying the very basic things et.. But as I was on my own then, it was very different.

When I moved to Hua Hin in 2002, I had a wife and two four year old daughters with me and finding a nursery school for them was one of the most important things. We chose Somthawin but I was not very happy about the school. There are topics concerning the education in Hua Hin, just use the search function.

You are not living too far away from where I used to live in Hua Hin btw 2002-08. We lived on Chomsin Road, not far away from the Chinese cemetary.

Well, all the best for your new job, new location and your life in general. I'm sure, you'll find new friends soon. Please, keep on writing to let us know how your life moves on.

Cheers