hua hin for retirement

New members login and say hello here. Please read our Forum Starter Pack and Terms and Conditions before posting if you are new to this forum.
frisco7
Novice
Novice

hua hin for retirement

Post by frisco7 »

My wife and I are making a trip to Thailand for the sole purposes of scouting out possibilities of retiring there. We have of course read maybe six to seven of the many books out there. Hua Hin along with a couple of other places is at the top of the list. Is there any way we can meet with another couple during our time in Hua Hin (January 2-6) for a drink or lunch. Or perhaps there is some kind of event at the time. FYI: We live in Texas, but my wife is originally from Germany.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: chiang mai for retirement

Post by dtaai-maai »

Hi frisco and welcome to the forum.
Did it mention in one of those books that Chiang Mai is several hundred miles from Hua Hin? A little too far to go for lunch! :D
You might get better info by googling Chiang Mai forum. :cheers:
This is the way
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: chiang mai for retirement

Post by Dannie Boy »

dtaai-maai wrote:Hi frisco and welcome to the forum.
Did it mention in one of those books that Chiang Mai is several hundred miles from Hua Hin? A little too far to go for lunch! :D
You might get better info by googling Chiang Mai forum. :cheers:
Although the heading is called Chiang Mai, the op does mention HH as one of the places being considered for retirement, so guess he already posted on a CM forum and forgot to change the heading and willbe in HH in January next year.
BOZ
Professional
Professional

Re: hua hin for retirement

Post by BOZ »

Hi Frisco, welcome to the forum... My thai wife and I will be in HH at that time... I am from NY and then MA... We have purchased a home in the area 2 years ago... Did our homework on this topic before we decided to make the decision final... We would be glad to meet up and talk about our experience... We currently split our time between USA and HH.... Goodluck on your search....
Boz

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!!
frisco7
Novice
Novice

Post by frisco7 »

Thanks to danny boy. It was late evening and I was thinking Chiang Mai. FYI: This was not in fact a cut and paste from a similar post on a chaing mai forum. While we are visiting there, they in fact have a xmas event which fortuitously is happening at the Le Meridient in CM during our stay, so we will be fortunate to be able to meet folks there. The screw up was not in "changing the name of the place" because that was n0t involved. Rather, I had just been "researching" for our 2 1/2 day stay there when I joined with great software difficulty this forum. I went to look at the post and caught the screw up but not before you caught me. CM is in fact a long shot because if we do go Thai it will connect with something I might do which requires proximity to BKK. But good catch!
frisco7
Novice
Novice

Hua Hin "versus" (not so) Chiang Mai

Post by frisco7 »

Thanks to danny boy. It was late evening and I was thinking Chiang Mai. FYI: This was not in fact a cut and paste from a similar post on a chiang mai forum. While we are visiting there, they in fact have a xmas event which fortuitously is happening at the Le Meridien in CM during our stay, so we will be fortunate to be able to meet folks there. The screw up was not in "changing the name of the place" because that was n0t involved. Rather, I had just been "researching" for our 2 1/2 day stay there when I joined with great software difficulty this forum. I went to look at the post and caught the screw up but not before you caught me. CM is in fact a long shot because if we do go Thai it will connect with something I might do which requires proximity to BKK. But good catch!

I am not clear on whether people who kindly responded get further responses on that topic--not a big blogger and most forums have their own rules. I am likely to receive a scolding letter from webmaster for rules violations, so apologies in advance. But I want to contact the gentleman from NY who responded and will do so on that original post as well. For his info, this fellow is also from NY, long ago, but thru high school so still ultimately a NYC boy.
frisco7
Novice
Novice

Re: Hua Hin "versus" (not so) Chiang Mai

Post by frisco7 »

I have responded to Boz (thanks) via his email (found in profile) as I do not know if one receives all further posts on a topic one has not initiated.
BOZ
Professional
Professional

Re: Hua Hin "versus" (not so) Chiang Mai

Post by BOZ »

Got it and responded... I have lived in MA for the past 20yrs so I am split on my roots... This forum has a lot of good info for your use.. Great group of folks from a varied list of countries....
Boz

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!!
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

We lived in Hua Hin for almost 5 years and left because it has become so much more developed than when we originally came. Building everywhere and road congestion also. Went far south to mainland south of Koh Samui and found the rural atmosphere we desired there. Can drive anywhere without running into many vehicles. Enjoy the 26 km main beach and lots of other smaller more secluded beaches all around here. Downside is having to drive to Surat Thani for some farang items and more advanced medical care is also located there. Overall if you like the rural lifestyle and want to just relax and enjoy like this place is wonderful. If you want to be near lots of other farangs and deal with the traffic and congestion and all the new growth then Hua Hin is for you.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

brianks wrote:We lived in Hua Hin for almost 5 years and left because it has become so much more developed than when we originally came. Building everywhere and road congestion also. Went far south to mainland south of Koh Samui and found the rural atmosphere we desired there. Can drive anywhere without running into many vehicles. Enjoy the 26 km main beach and lots of other smaller more secluded beaches all around here. Downside is having to drive to Surat Thani for some farang items and more advanced medical care is also located there. Overall if you like the rural lifestyle and want to just relax and enjoy like this place is wonderful. If you want to be near lots of other farangs and deal with the traffic and congestion and all the new growth then Hua Hin is for you.
Where did you end up? :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Phyton
Professional
Professional

Post by Phyton »

Hi Frisco7,
welcome on board.

We, a german couple mid 50th own a condo in Cha-Am, just about 25 km north Hua Hin. Right now we come twice a year for holiday, in some years we also like to retire in Cha-Am. We come back to Cha-Am december till end of january.
If interest, please pm.
Greets,
Phyton
frisco7
Novice
Novice

Post by frisco7 »

That would be perfect. I do not know how we communicate directly as I had just joined this forum. I do no see an email for you in profile. But perhaps I can evade the "police" by telling you to just add ".us" ("dot" us) after the limlaw.

len@limlaw
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

migrant wrote:
brianks wrote:We lived in Hua Hin for almost 5 years and left because it has become so much more developed than when we originally came. Building everywhere and road congestion also. Went far south to mainland south of Koh Samui and found the rural atmosphere we desired there. Can drive anywhere without running into many vehicles. Enjoy the 26 km main beach and lots of other smaller more secluded beaches all around here. Downside is having to drive to Surat Thani for some farang items and more advanced medical care is also located there. Overall if you like the rural lifestyle and want to just relax and enjoy like this place is wonderful. If you want to be near lots of other farangs and deal with the traffic and congestion and all the new growth then Hua Hin is for you.
Where did you end up? :cheers:
I agree with you about the quick developpment of Huahin in the last years and was stuck in the traffic there a few days ago.
You can find very quiet areas in many places not so far from Huahin and BKK, as in Prachuap Khirikan city, 100 km south of Huahin, with nice beaches, relax atmosphere, and prices 50% compared to Huahin.

I know the area between Khanom and Tha Sala, where I suppose you are, I could live there too.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^Yeah, I would be happy if Hua Hin was still like it was in 2003, with the exception of the addition of the Villa Market... :wink:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

And remember in five years time posters will be writing about how ideal HH was in2014