Another Aussie saying hello...

New members login and say hello here. Please read our Forum Starter Pack and Terms and Conditions before posting if you are new to this forum.
AussieG
Novice
Novice

Re: Another Aussie saying hello...

Post by AussieG »

Hi fellow Aussies, I am new to this forum and currently living in Adelaide SA after moving from the Gold Coast mid last year (family reasons). My wife and I have also intentions of coming over to live in Thailand either in HH or Chiang Mai.
We have been to both before and will be back soon (4 more sleeps). Last time I travelled to HH was with a copper from the GC, which was very fortunate.
We will be looking for either the NRL or AFL to watch, have you managed to find this any where yet?
JAGfx

Post by JAGfx »

AussieG,
Yes mate, you can definitely watch NRL at El Murphys right in the middle of town. It is air conditioned also. There are a few other sports bars around but a lot of them seem to be showing European soccer etc. Not sure about AFL though as I'm not a big fan of it. Sounds like you are coming at the tail end of Songkran which starts anytime now. We are also from the GC and I was a copper there until my resignation in mid 2005.
We've been in Hua Hin since early Feb and really enjoying it. It is very laid back and relaxed. Actually living just to the south at Takiab, just on the other side of Monkey Mountain, which is even more laid back. Never been to CM but I have heard some excellent stories about the place, other than the traffic and the burning season. A place we hope to visit one day. Banging out to Vietnam at the end of the month for a week due to first entry of the visa expiring. Might have to make an effort and actually apply for a retirement visa. If you need some assistance when in town, feel free to contact me at anytime. The guys and gals on this forum are very helpful also and probably know way more about the place than I do. There is also a pretty good group on FB called Hua Him & Cha-am Expats. Cheers. Jim
JAGfx

Post by JAGfx »

And regarding your AFL enquiry, I am currently sitting in a Sports Bar called Urban Infuzion watching Brisbane Lions v Nth Melbourne. It is across the road from the main Hua Hin Police Station.
AussieG
Novice
Novice

Post by AussieG »

JAGfx wrote:AussieG,
Yes mate, you can definitely watch NRL at El Murphys right in the middle of town. It is air conditioned also. There are a few other sports bars around but a lot of them seem to be showing European soccer etc. Not sure about AFL though as I'm not a big fan of it. Sounds like you are coming at the tail end of Songkran which starts anytime now. We are also from the GC and I was a copper there until my resignation in mid 2005.
We've been in Hua Hin since early Feb and really enjoying it. It is very laid back and relaxed. Actually living just to the south at Takiab, just on the other side of Monkey Mountain, which is even more laid back. Never been to CM but I have heard some excellent stories about the place, other than the traffic and the burning season. A place we hope to visit one day. Banging out to Vietnam at the end of the month for a week due to first entry of the visa expiring. Might have to make an effort and actually apply for a retirement visa. If you need some assistance when in town, feel free to contact me at anytime. The guys and gals on this forum are very helpful also and probably know way more about the place than I do. There is also a pretty good group on FB called Hua Him & Cha-am Expats. Cheers. Jim
Thanks Jim for all of the information. We leave Adelaide this Thursday and head straight to Maesot for about a week to help out a charity we are involved with. Then to Hell Fire Pass for the Anzac Day Ceromony and head to Hua Hin and land on the afternoon of Tuesday 28 April. If you are still in town and feel like a beer let me know. Both Michael and I will be travelling with our hand brakes (wives) and he will be stoked that he can see a NRL game, he tolerates AFL but only just.
We are in Hua Hin for about a week then off to Chiang Mai for more research.
Good luck with Songkran, I have experienced it before. Keep for your phone dry and your mouth closed :D
Our mate is a SGT on the GC and moved up from NSW I am not sure what year that was, but chances are you would know of him. It was most probably a good time for you to get out as things dont appear to get any better there.
I turn 50 next year and will definitely look at the retirement visa also, we still have a few ties here but it will fall in to place at some stage.
Thanks again :cheers:
AussieG
Novice
Novice

Post by AussieG »

JAGfx wrote:And regarding your AFL enquiry, I am currently sitting in a Sports Bar called Urban Infuzion watching Brisbane Lions v Nth Melbourne. It is across the road from the main Hua Hin Police Station.
I know where that is as the SGT was interested in 2013 and had to go in to talk to them, I guess it is a copper thing?
Good thing he wasnt a funeral director I guess. :D
JAGfx

Post by JAGfx »

Hey AussieG, no probs on the info. We are actually leaving HH on the 28th heading to Vietnam for about 10 days to activate the 2nd entry on our Thai tourist visa on our return. We were considering heading up to Hellfire Pass for ANZAC Day as we are both ex RAAF, but it just got too tight with our Vietnam trip and we hadn't booked anything early enough. It would be a great event I'd imagine as I know a heap of RAAfies are heading up there also. Maybe next year!
Enjoy your time here in HH and CM, and we might cross paths some time in the future. Cheers. Jim
AussieG
Novice
Novice

Post by AussieG »

Bugger maybe next time.
This will be our third time to Hell Fire Pass and would highly recommend it, this year the Aussies are hosting as they alternate between us and NZ. Would also suggest you stay close by at Hintok river camp, they have my version of camping more like glamping. Once again though book this early.
Safe travels to Vietnam it will be a little more hectic for you. When crossing the road close your eyes and walk slowly whilst praying to Budha and hopefully you will not meet him.
Take care!
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

G' Daaay JAGfx and fellow Aussies,
Apologies for my tardiness should have introduced myself a little earlier. Nice to see a few Aussies on the forum, Obviously from the right place, Queensland. Yes we also made the decision to move to Thailand in late July this year. Quite a contrast from Roma to Bangkok and now Hua Hin.Roma has grown quite a lot, now has one set of traffic lights and a roundabout. Regs Bluesky
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

JAGfx :D

Welcome to the forum, we hope you enjoy Hua Hin and the friends you make here.

:cheers:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Kqienwly
Novice
Novice

Post by Kqienwly »

Well well well... It's really attracting to travel around but I'm scared to see those 'ripping' ex-pats :(
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

another qlder here,great year for us ,winning state of origin,i grew up in brizvegas and eventually spent the last 5 years in cairns before moving to h.h 5 years ago.
the league grand final was like xmas for me with broncs up against cowboys
,and tomorrow night the wallabies followed by Melbourne cup on Tuesday,
happy times