Hi from new permanent resident in Hua Hin

New members login and say hello here. Please read our Forum Starter Pack and Terms and Conditions before posting if you are new to this forum.
JimmyD
Amateur
Amateur

Hi from new permanent resident in Hua Hin

Post by JimmyD »

Hello everyone,

I have read a few threads on this site, it has provided me with some insight and the members seem to be very nice and helpful. I just moved here 2 weeks ago on an "OA" retirement visa and hope to spend the rest of my life here in Hua Hin.

Though I briefly visited many areas of Thailand once a year during a 4 year period between 2006 and 2009, I 1st visited HH (and only for 10 days) for the 1st time in Jan '13. My all too short stay was devoted to looking at rental properties - which didn't turn out as well as i had hoped with it being high season. Therefore, I rented a 1 bedroom condo (sight unseen) for 6 months (to get a better monthly rate) close to Market Village since I have no personal transport and know no one here.

Having been a homeowner in the US with a full time job, my own car, etc. this is an entire life changing experience for me. Though I believe I am up to the challenge, it is daunting and I am hoping that I can both make many new friends and obtain valuable information to assist me with this major transition.

I have every intention of being a good citizen - assisting a Finnish tourist picking up trash on the beach this morning and bagging recycling materials (glass, aluminum and plastic) to place on the street next to existing trash containers so that locals don't have to rummage thru garbage to find mine are 2 minor examples.

I apologize for the long intro, in the short term will be asking for more info than I can provide, so I hope that you will please bear with me. Again, I am eager to meet others and learn more about life here so please feel free to respond to my intro as you deem appropriate.

Thank you, in advance for your assistance and I hope to meet many of you in the not too distant future.
Big Boy

Re: Hi from new permanent resident in Hua Hin

Post by Big Boy »

Welcome to the forum JimmyD - ask away :D
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
JimmyD
Amateur
Amateur

Post by JimmyD »

Thanks Big Boy. A couple of questions that I have been thinking about have already been discussed on previous threads that I stumbled onto (locating a reliable but not too expensive used car, relatively speaking, so I can find 'better' accommodations starting July 1 - also discussed) so I guess my first question is whether any of you "guys" get together for lunch, dinner, a few drinks, etc? I do much better discussing things in person and the online forum itself is new to me.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Obviously people do get together, but there is rarely anything formal organised by the forum. I can only remember 3 forum get togethers in the last 2 years.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
JimmyD
Amateur
Amateur

Post by JimmyD »

Makes sense... guess I should also point out that I'm still kind of living in the dark ages (i.e. don't have internet access on my mobile phone) so usually only check email, etc. twice a day - morning and evening in the condo using my laptop. So I apologize if any of my responses appear to be 'late'.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Welcome, lots of good people here!

I have plans to make the move next year so will be interested in how you like it, and settle in. I'm from the states also
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
JimmyD
Amateur
Amateur

Post by JimmyD »

Migrant,

Thanks for the response. Based on when you joined, looks like you've been thinking about this for about as long as I have. Good luck with getting things wrapped up there so you can try to 'live the dream' as I am try to do as well.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

JimmyD,

What part of the U.S. are you from? I came here 10 years ago via Tennessee, (Saudi Arabia), California, and finally Florida.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
JimmyD
Amateur
Amateur

Post by JimmyD »

Hi HHFarang,

I've lived in Austin Texas for the past 40 years (moved there w/ family as a teenager). Originally from Seattle, with moves to LA, Boston and upstate NY in between (all as a child and more years ago than I like to admit... to myself anyway).
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Wow, Austin is one of about a dozen cities we've been considering to repatriate to.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
JimmyD
Amateur
Amateur

Post by JimmyD »

HHFarang,

We'll definitely have to get together sometime to talk. Forgot to mention that a friend of mine, also an Austinite and who had something to do with me visiting LOS back in '06, also worked in Saudi for 3 years in the 1990s. Also, I totally agree with your 'subscript' about US politicians. More later... have a doctor's appt. this a.m. then heading to the Learning center after lunch to sign up for a Thai language class. Plz stay in touch.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Welcome Jimmy and have a happy retirement, I know I am. :cheers: :cheers:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Rose66
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Rose66 »

Hello Jimmy D,
welcome to Hua Hin,hope you will enjoy your retirement.We are a German couple and we are living here in Hua Hin now 12 years.When you need help and contact,let us know!
JimmyD
Amateur
Amateur

Post by JimmyD »

Pagey,

Thanks for the 'welcome'.

Rose66,

Thank you for your offer of assistance. Maybe we can get together for lunch one day at Market Village (since it's close to where I am staying). I have no personal transport and the baht buses seem to be packed with tourists this time of year. Of course, if MV is not convenient for you I can find an alternative way to a place you prefer. Just walked up to and back from The Learning Center (near the main intersection in town) and it only took me about 20 minutes each way.

In any case, thank you all very much.
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Hi JimmyD, Welcome to HH, great place to live and as you learn more youll get to like it even more, check out the Restaurant thread..lots of good info there.
If you want to meet people look out for the Pub Quiz at Johnny Walkers every month, there are plenty of people who will share their info... you a golfer, Music fan, Food fan??

Cheers,

JW