Hello from the UK

New members login and say hello here. Please read our Forum Starter Pack and Terms and Conditions before posting if you are new to this forum.
pe7e

Hello from the UK

Post by pe7e »

Hi all,
My name is Peter and I'm from the UK, I'm intending to retire later this year and at the moment I'm researching my options. I'm no stranger to Thailand, I made my first trip way back in 84, but have never got round to taking a look at Hua Hin despite several recommendations to do so over the years. I was originally planning to locate to Pattaya, but the recent mass influx of Russians, Arabs and others who I have little desire to live alongside has forced a rethink. I desire a 'Laid Back' lifestyle, but I have no wish to live celibate in a monastery. I recently posted similar information on another Thai forum where I've been a member for many years, and a fellow member suggested I join this fine forum to get the advice/info I seek. Well that's me in a nutshell, and I look forward to interacting with you in the future, Pete
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Re: Hello from the UK

Post by Gregjam »

Welcome to the forum Peter. Sounds like Hua Hin would fit the bill however as you will see from other posts it is recommended you come over and get the feel for the place before making the final decision. Have a good look through the forum before asking too many questions as there are plenty of people here who will try to help but there is also plenty or sarcasm so thick skin also helps. Get your 10 posts in (Caption competition is the easiest way) and then you can use PM and get access to night crawlers which it sounds like you will also be taking an interest in.

Enjoy.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

It is complicated. If you retire and move to a new place there care two huge changes in your life, the retirement and the move. If you are not content it can be difficult to know which is the source of the problem. My advice come and rent for a few months, don't do anything irreversible. Good friends of mine did that, they intended to come here full time, the settled for just coming for nov-april.
pe7e

Post by pe7e »

Hi Oakdale160,
I hear where you are coming from, in reality I have already been in retirement for several years due to 'less than perfect' health, but it seems to be improving, I have spent a considerable amount of time in Thailand, so it's not going to be a huge, or unexpected change in circumstances. Later this year my pension proper kicks in and will enable me to take a year (or so) 'Trial' retirement in Thailand before committing myself, selling my assets in the UK, and making the move more permanent. It would obviously be harder to reverse, if indeed I want to go down that route, but having said that, I don't want to finish up in some god forsaken nursing home back in the UK either, and I would rather exit a couple of years earlier than face that if you see what I mean, it's just not me. Sorry if I sound a bit melodramatic it's not intended, I'm quite an optimistic, 'glass half full' person really, just trying to paint a honest picture of where I'm at, at this stage in my life.
Taikka
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Taikka »

pe7e wrote: I was originally planning to locate to Pattaya, but the recent mass influx of Russians, Arabs and others who I have little desire to live alongside has forced a rethink.Pete
Not sure about the Arabs, but Russians will come more and more to HH, thats for sure. But, as it was told many times on this forum, they are not the type of Pattaya russians - more of mothers with children to stay for winter (nov-april).
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

Just a few things to add to the debate

I have just returned from a 4 week stay in Hua Hin and having been there about 10-15 times this trip left me feeling a bit uneasy about living there in retirement.

I have never been over Christmas before so it may just be the time of year but I have never seen so many people so so drunk before. Really the level of drinking is astonishing, I know a few bar cashiers pretty well and their tales of the farang starting drinking at 11 in the morning and being so pissed that they do not realise how obnoxious they are by early evening. Not everybody by all means but a sizable minority. If you are living in Hua Hin do you avoid the bar areas completely ? Incidentally the first words I heard in a bar were "Oh you f***** stupid c***!! as one happy camper shouted at the footy TV in Murphs. Lovely.

I went on a trip to the River Kwai and some waterfalls close by. I wasn't feeling great so I waited for my friends to finish their exploring. I waited about an hour for them and in that time about another 20 minibuses arrived with tourists. All apart from 3 had Russians or Ukranians. And I'm sorry for the sweeping statement but as a whole they were a pretty rude lot. The waterfalls had signs saying that you should get dressed again after swimming. The ONLY people ignoring this were the Russians. This points to the general influx of Russians into Thailand. You cant stop it, if they have the money good luck to them. Do I want to be around it though I don't know.

Also I am absolutely convinced that Hua Hin is slowly turning itself into a family resort. Bars that shut, burn down are being replaced by small hotels. I think the bar scene will end up almost exclusively in places like soi 80. Is this a bad thing. Not really just different I think. Does Hua Hin the gangs of drunken blokes coming over for Christmas and new year, I dont think so.

So I kind of fell out of love with Hua Hin a little bit this trip, but then I went to a beautiful beach and I thought its not so bad afterall.

So after all that rambling I really wanted to ask you guys who live there. What the hell do you do with your days ??
blue05
Guru
Guru

Post by blue05 »

in answer to the last question above, not drink in the daytime

I have an absolute rule of no beer until 10pm by which time most of the daytime drunks are long gone and an enjoyable evening can be had
pe7e

Post by pe7e »

Taikka wrote: Not sure about the Arabs, but Russians will come more and more to HH, thats for sure. But, as it was told many times on this forum, they are not the type of Pattaya russians - more of mothers with children to stay for winter (nov-april).

Yes, I'm sure the Russians will spread their presence and influence over a greater area of Thailand as time goes by, but it is comforting to know they are not the walking street crowd. I doubt the presence of Russian mothers with children will have any seriously negative effect on my own enjoyment of my retirement.
pe7e

Post by pe7e »

ahandpatsy wrote: I have just returned from a 4 week stay in Hua Hin and having been there about 10-15 times this trip left me feeling a bit uneasy about living there in retirement. I have never been over Christmas before so it may just be the time of year but I have never seen so many people so so drunk before.
Even during the time I thought of Pattaya as a near idyllic location (apart from the beaches) to relocate to, the Christmas high season was horrendous, and matches your description perfectly. But if it was mostly confined to holiday periods I don't think I would find it much of a problem. I like a drink myself, but hate hangovers even more, so I watch what I tip down my throat. :)
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Just like any place you learn which bars are the ones that suit you. If you want ones with a steady crowd of locals who come several nights a week for darts, pool and a little conversation. A couple of pints and home by 1pm---plenty of places like that.
pe7e

Post by pe7e »

From what I've heard so far it would seem Hua Hin will probably suit me fine, and I'm looking forward to paying an extended visit later in the year. My thanks to all who've taken the trouble to provide useful advice.