20+ years later...

New members login and say hello here. Please read our Forum Starter Pack and Terms and Conditions before posting if you are new to this forum.
Ricardo ShillyShally
Rookie
Rookie

20+ years later...

Post by Ricardo ShillyShally »

Hello all :)
Just thought I'd stop by to say hello. Very pleased to have found this forum.

My wife and I first visited Hua Hin in '89 or '90 very much on the spur of the moment and having no idea of its proximity to Bangkok.

As a result, we flew here!

We stayed at the Royal Garden Resort (We have seen reference to Royal Garden Village - but we're fairly sure it was 'Resort') anyone know if that's right?

We came here again for the second time last July and we are currently here right now.

It has changed! :)

Today we were walking around looking in the estate agents windows with a view to renting. (Not right now, but doing some prep work for the future.)

Well - just wanted to say Hello, and looking forward to chatting and meeting with you in the future.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: 20+ years later...

Post by Takiap »

Ricardo ShillyShally wrote:Hello all :)
Just thought I'd stop by to say hello. Very pleased to have found this forum.

My wife and I first visited Hua Hin in '89 or '90 very much on the spur of the moment and having no idea of its proximity to Bangkok.

As a result, we flew here!

We stayed at the Royal Garden Resort (We have seen reference to Royal Garden Village - but we're fairly sure it was 'Resort') anyone know if that's right?

We came here again for the second time last July and we are currently here right now.

It has changed! :)

Today we were walking around looking in the estate agents windows with a view to renting. (Not right now, but doing some prep work for the future.)

Well - just wanted to say Hello, and looking forward to chatting and meeting with you in the future.

Bloody hell! It took 20 year to join the forum? :shock: :laugh: I bet you can see a lot of changes. I haven't been back to my for the last 16 years, and from what I've been told, i wouldn't recognise Cape Town these days.

Hope you enjoy your stay here, and hope to see you posting on here regularly. :D
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
moja
Guru
Guru

Post by moja »

Royal Garden resort became the Marriot which is now closed and being demolished. We stayed there in the late 80's too.
Ricardo ShillyShally
Rookie
Rookie

@Takiap - haha yeah - it took me closer to 50 years to find this forum!

@moja - thanks, mystery solved :)
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

There were both a Royal Garden Resort and Royal Garden Village back in those days.
The Resort turned into The Marriott as has been explained and The Village has become The Anantara. I stayed at the latter in 1989 on my first visit here.
The Resort/Marriott/demolition is actually in town. The Village/Anantara is 5-6kms out of the town centre. In your day, The Village would have felt like being in the country but nowadays it's enveloped in the urban sprawl (pretty much).
So, you were either in the town centre or outside of it. Depending on that location will decide whether you stayed at the Village or Resort.
moja
Guru
Guru

Post by moja »

The Royal Garden Village did not open until the very late 80's it was almost but not quite open when we were first here and yes it did seem like it was miles out into the Country.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

OK. Didn't realise that - the opening.
111Swing
Novice
Novice

Post by 111Swing »

Your welcome
Ricardo ShillyShally
Rookie
Rookie

Then it was definitely the Royal Garden Resort.

Despite its proximity to town, each day, we had a bicycle samlor guy pick us up. The young guy took us everywhere and even showed up on our last day covered in scrapes and bandages after being in an RTA.

On that last day we tried to offer him a small tip and his response was so humbling that we are quite emotional just thinking about it.

I really miss those days.
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

we had a bicycle samlor guy pick us up. The young guy took us everywhere
There are still a few of them working down on the beach road, but no young ones and I doubt they were young even twenty years ago !
Ricardo ShillyShally
Rookie
Rookie

heh, you may be right Frank, it's all relative. Although he 'seemed' to be about 25!
This was a long time ago remember... :)