Injections??

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Srakamc
Novice
Novice

Injections??

Post by Srakamc »

Hi! I'm moving to Hua Hin in July and have been researching which injections/vaccinations I need to travel to Thailand. Everything I've read suggests getting different ones and I'm at a total loss! Plus none suggest rabies jabs but recent news shows cases there. Help please! What do I get? Sorry if stupid question!
Big Boy

Re: Injections??

Post by Big Boy »

When living in the UK, when about to go on holiday, our doctor insisted we put our details into the MASTA website, and it would produce a report of exactly what was required based on current events. It used to be free - no idea if they've introduced a charge now.
https://www.masta-travel-health.com/
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Hua Hin is definitely considered a rabies hot spot at the moment, at least the southern part is. I'm not sure where you are coming from, but in Thailand you may know that walking around certain parts you will come into contact with a lot of feral dogs who sometimes aggressively defend their territory.

Please get the jab. I think I read somewhere that it's free at the moment in HH, can anyone confirm this?

PS - I just read Pagey's post saying that rabies has been transmitted by a cat and killed someone further north in Hua Hin (Hin Lek Fai), so if true I'm not correct that it's just the southern part.
Pagey wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:31 am According to a report on the news a 61 year old has died in Hin Lek Fai district of HH due to suspected rabies from a bite from a cat.

https://www.thairath.co.th/content/1229172
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

404cameljockey wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:37 am Please get the jab. I think I read somewhere that it's free at the moment in HH, can anyone confirm this?
I posted that it's free for dogs and cats, starting tomorrow? I've not heard anything about humans yet.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

404cameljockey wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:37 am Hua Hin is definitely considered a rabies hot spot at the moment, at least the southern part is. I'm not sure where you are coming from, but in Thailand you may know that walking around certain parts you will come into contact with a lot of feral dogs who sometimes aggressively defend their territory.

Please get the jab. I think I read somewhere that it's free at the moment in HH, can anyone confirm this?

PS - I just read Pagey's post saying that rabies has been transmitted by a cat and killed someone further north in Hua Hin (Hin Lek Fai), so if true I'm not correct that it's just the southern part.
Pagey wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:31 am According to a report on the news a 61 year old has died in Hin Lek Fai district of HH due to suspected rabies from a bite from a cat.

Hot spot is somewhat excessive compared to many countries.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

My 4 year-old niece got bitten by a stray dog the day before yesterday. Her parents took her straight to Hua Hin hospital where they gave her two injections already (I'm assuming the immunoglobulin and the rabies vaccine). Although her parents have medical insurance for her, they weren't charged anything. She still has to go back for 3 more injections in the coming weeks.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

StevePIraq wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:05 am
404cameljockey wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:37 am Hua Hin is definitely considered a rabies hot spot at the moment, at least the southern part is. I'm not sure where you are coming from, but in Thailand you may know that walking around certain parts you will come into contact with a lot of feral dogs who sometimes aggressively defend their territory.

Hot spot is somewhat excessive compared to many countries.
Prachuap Khiri Khan: Hua Hin district was upgraded from a rabies yellow zone to a red zone yesterday following the death of a 61-year-old man in a suspected case of the fatal virus.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... -red-alert

Not sure what the final confirmed story was about the cat bite, I think there were conflicting reports. Red zone, though.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

I'm not sure what you mean by conflicting reports but if you're referring to the post I made about a couple of different translation engines indicating that it was only the cat that had died, I have to hold up my hands and say that information was wrong. All accurate translations and various English language reports make it clear that the 61 year-old man did die of what subsequent tests proved was rabies.

One slightly odd facet to the story is that the man was bitten 2 months ago, well before the current outbreak is supposed to have started. So that was either a separate outbreak or the current outbreak has been going on for a lot longer than was thought.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

GroveHillWanderer wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:07 pm My 4 year-old niece got bitten by a stray dog the day before yesterday. Her parents took her straight to Hua Hin hospital where they gave her two injections already (I'm assuming the immunoglobulin and the rabies vaccine). Although her parents have medical insurance for her, they weren't charged anything. She still has to go back for 3 more injections in the coming weeks.
If your niece is thai then at that age she won't be charged at a government hospital. My two daughters both had free treatment when they were young.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

404cameljockey wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:13 am

Not sure what the final confirmed story was about the cat bite, I think there were conflicting reports. Red zone, though.
:shock: I didn't bite anyone :shock:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

GroveHillWanderer wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:19 pm I'm not sure what you mean by conflicting reports but if you're referring to the post I made about a couple of different translation engines indicating that it was only the cat that had died, I have to hold up my hands and say that information was wrong.
Thanks, understood! :)
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

redzonerocker wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:34 pm
404cameljockey wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:13 am

:shock: I didn't bite anyone :shock:
:neener: