Smoking ex-pats

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Re: Smoking ex-pats

Post by Vital Spark »

:thumb: :thumb: Post of the year, so far, JJB.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

These bois have it right an all:

Some say that smoking's a sin
But a pipe now and then is enough
But smokin' has been in this world
Since Adam taught Eve how to puff

May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

J.J.B. wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:13 pm However, by far the biggest health pollutant and scourge on society are the ‘modern parents’. The ‘Philippa and Tarquin’ brigade who selfishly wait until well into their 40s to have children - and can’t resist telling you how difficult all the (NHS-funded) IVF and other treatments they had to ‘endure’ were to “finally fulfil their purpose on this earth”. They come along in their Crocs and beaded, Yak-wool cardigans with their precious darlings in papooses around their necks, invariably screaming their entitled little heads off or running amok and shrieking in restaurants, train carriages or airplane cabins. Not only do these holier-than-though paragons make no attemtp to curb their little ones’ artistic temperaments, they are totally oblivious to the misery they cause to everyone around them.

That’s when I want to light-up. That’s when I want to blow big smoke rings in the air and savour the split second of peace. Of course, the modern parents would go absolutely ballistic and, probably, rightly so. But it would give me enormous pleasure to have a blazing row with them, to point out that their preventable noise pollution is just as irksome to me. To complain about their self-righteous, pompous ignorance of how to be responsible parents and berate them for being oblivious to the horrific impact that their mewling, unruly little brats have on those around them.

Ah, maybe one day.

(Cue ‘Air on a G-Sting’ a.k.a. the ‘Hamlet Cigar’ advert tune... :rasta:)
Excellent! I can almost see the scorn dripping from your keyboard, like tar from the cheap cigarette clasped between my teeth as I type with two yellow, nicotine-stained fingers, eyes squinting against the smoke, my chest wheezing musically, supported by the rhythm section of my cough.

I could go on, but I need to empty the ash tray before I light up another...
This is the way
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Alcohol kicked it 20 years ago.
Opiates kicked a year ago.
Smoking, I get kicked every time I try to kick it.

Lungs are clear and heart is strong after 50 years of smoking.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

oakdale160 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:58 am I started this thread, no secret agenda--I just asked the simple question--Why is the % of British ex-pats who smoke so much higher than British people in Britain. A simple public health and sociological enquiry.
The answer is statistical: expats are not a representative sample of the population, i.e. the British people.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Homer wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:06 pm
oakdale160 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:58 am I started this thread, no secret agenda--I just asked the simple question--Why is the % of British ex-pats who smoke so much higher than British people in Britain. A simple public health and sociological enquiry.
The answer is statistical: expats are not a representative sample of the population, i.e. the British people.
I think all the smokers moved to Thailand when they banned smoking in the pubs in the UK!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I usually get annoyed at off-topic posts(rants) but JJB hit a very annoying nail on the head.
To repeat, I was surprised when looking at the stats that triggered this thread, that in the UK, the 65+ age group had the smallest%of people smoking. So the fact that most ex-pats are in this age group does not explain it.
How about this for an explanation---- the expat community contains more guys who are very individualistic, don't like rules, don't like conventions, don't care what others think about them.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

oakdale160 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:09 pmHow about this for an explanation---- the expat community contains more guys who are very individualistic, don't like rules, don't like conventions, don't care what others think about them.
I think you've (also) hit the nail on the head there, Oakdale. I enjoy watching UK medical documentaries, and one of my favourite current ones is 'GPs Behind Closed Doors' - an interesting insight into the work of a GP. What I do find annoying is that whatever the patient's problem is, they ask 'Do you drink (how much)?' and 'Do you smoke (how many)?'. If the answer to any of the questions is 'Yes', there's a tut-tut from the GP, and the poor patient is given a short lecture and made to feel guilty (like they've committed some heinous crime).

Smoking and drinking here (apart from on the beaches) is not expensive and generally accepted. So why stop?

VS
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Oh, and the best response to a post this year (so far) goes to DM. :thumb:
dtaai-maai wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:23 pmExcellent! I can almost see the scorn dripping from your keyboard, like tar from the cheap cigarette clasped between my teeth as I type with two yellow, nicotine-stained fingers, eyes squinting against the smoke, my chest wheezing musically, supported by the rhythm section of my cough.

I could go on, but I need to empty the ash tray before I light up another...
VS

P.S. Don't tell anyone, but I've ordered an e-cigarette. It won't leave the house, as I don't fancy a night in the slammer, but it may help me kick the habit. Shhhh....
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

well done VS, I will keep everything crossed for you.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

I understand both sides. I was a smoker, but am now a quitter, or an recovering nicotine addict. For me personally quitting has had a tremendous positive effects. For others it may not have such effects. My wife still smokes and it doesn't bother me too much, so I am not criticizing those that still smoke. But a fact that should never be missed, is that smoking is not good for you whatever excuse you make for smoking. Even smokers should admit this. But you cannot quit smoking unless you are willing to do it. It takes an effort to quit and your mind has to be in for it. The strange thing is that I still like the smell when others smoke (fresh tobacco smoke), but the stank from someone that has been smoking, the persons clothes etc., is horrible. Anyways, if any of you smokers have a slightest interest for finding out about the dangers and how to quit, www.whyquit.com is an excellent site to start in my opinion. Everything you need for quitting is there and it is absolutely free.
YNWA
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

A friend quit after smoking for 20 yrs. She used the smokers chewing gum and it took about 6 months until she didn't want a cigarette, but 20 yrs. after that she still liked the smell of cigarette smoke.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Mrs J.J.B., who has never smoked, commented the other day that she would rather follow someone in the street smoking a cigarette and get second-hand smoke than someone ‘vaping’ and get second-hand vapour. I tend to agree. These billowing clouds of sickly-scented vapour can make you feel quite ill and it’s commonplace for vapers to ‘give it large’ on their electro devices, as if they are justified in doing so because it’s not tobacco.

I particularly like pipe tobacco smoke.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I smoked a pipe for years. Dr. Pat Irish Mixture that many people used to remark about the nice smell.

BUT not now: :shock:

http://samssmokes.com.au/product/dr-pat ... xture-50g/

Dr Pat Irish Mixture Pipe Tobacco 50g
$72.00 (that's about 1800 Baht!)
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
edit: or if you want it in bulk:

https://www.ifag.com.au/index.php/pipe- ... 5tins-150g.

Dr Pat Tin Tobacco 50 gm - 5 pack Carton (50gm x 5Tins = 250g)
$344.00
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: RE: Re: Smoking ex-pats

Post by hhinner »

J.J.B. wrote:Mrs J.J.B., who has never smoked, commented the other day that she would rather follow someone in the street smoking a cigarette and get second-hand smoke than someone ‘vaping’ and get second-hand vapour. I tend to agree. These billowing clouds of sickly-scented vapour can make you feel quite ill and it’s commonplace for vapers to ‘give it large’ on their electro devices, as if they are justified in doing so because it’s not tobacco.

Tobacco smoke or vapor? I'd rather have neither, thanks. They both make it so obvious you're breathing in shit from someone else's lungs.