aciclovir tablets (for herpes simplex virus/cold sores)

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

aciclovir tablets (for herpes simplex virus/cold sores)

Post by MDMK »

does anyone know if I can buy Aciclovir tablets in Hua Hin, and of so what the rough price of them is?

If there is a local generic version of the same drug please let me know too.

i think one of the brand names they are sold under is LOVIR

Cost a small fortune here in Europe so would like to stock up on them
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Re: aciclovir tablets (for herpes simplex virus/cold sores)

Post by europtimiste »

Best information in a pharmacy.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

Gee thanks for that europt, I would never have worked by going into a pharmacy and actually asking if they sold a product would have got me an answer.
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

You can certainly get the Acyclovir Cream here under the name Vilerm, which is manufactured by Siam Pharmaceutical Co Ltd which costs very .little baht
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

Thanks Musungu, but the aciclovir cream doesn't work for me anymore. It did work great 20+yrs ago when I first used it. But maybe my body grew immune to it (or something like that). Thanks anyway, much appreciated!!
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

At Fascino pharmacy, it's called Falerm. 200 and 400mg tablets. Price? Arrgh, it's been a few years since a friend visiting from the US needed it. I think it's around 250b for a box of 25 200mg tabs at their Market Village store. I do remember a box of 25 cost about the same as a strip of 5 at the other 2 pharmacies.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Vilerm tablets is 800mg Acylovir. I don't remember cost.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

Homer wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:58 am At Fascino pharmacy, it's called Falerm. 200 and 400mg tablets. Price? Arrgh, it's been a few years since a friend visiting from the US needed it. I think it's around 250b for a box of 25 200mg tabs at their Market Village store. I do remember a box of 25 cost about the same as a strip of 5 at the other 2 pharmacies.
Thank you very very much !! I'll be sure to stock up at Fascino. (fraction of the price I'd pay here)
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

RCer wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:10 pm Vilerm tablets is 800mg Acylovir. I don't remember cost.
Thank you too. Much appreciated !
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Many people have outbreaks of oral or genital herpes when they are under stress. I had a female colleague who had to prepare and present a financial update to the board every quarter. Each time she had an outbreak 2 or 3 days before her presentation. Her Dr told her to start taking Acyclovir about a week before the presentation--- good advice--No outbreaks.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Another good option is Zovirox cream, if applied at the first tingle it is gone same day. Sold at most pharmacies
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

oakdale160 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:19 am Her Dr told her to start taking Acyclovir about a week before the presentation--- good advice--No outbreaks.
Yep, works the same for me.... strong sunshine (as well as stress or being really rundown/tired) triggers cold sores in me. Used to always get a cold sore on holiday in Asia, half due to the sun, half due to being jet lagged and tired. Now I take aciclovir for 5 days before I fly and haven't had a (holiday) outbreak since.

The problem here is (Holland) the whole country has the same basic cover with medical insurance. We get (most) prescription medicines free. Aciclovir is free here for me, BUT (and this is what makes me spit nails) ...it's like trying to get blood out of a stone to get my doctor to prescribe it. Insurance companies put pressure on the doctors to keep costs down, they treat cold sore herpes as something cosmetic and not as something medical. So getting it prescribed is getting tougher by the year. I'd rather just buy it in Thailand than have to argue with my doctor. I could buy it here outwith my insurance, but it would cost me 35 euros (1400baht) for 25 tablets, versus (hopefully) +-250baht in Fascino pharmacy.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

StevePIraq wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:53 am Another good option is Zovirox cream, if applied at the first tingle it is gone same day. Sold at most pharmacies
Zovirax used to work for me, it just doesn't anymore. Vectavir/Zovirax/Aciclovir creams... used to swear by all of them, but it's like my body has become (grown?) immune to them.

But thanks anyway. If I hadn't tried it I certainly would have.
Tonyandson
Novice
Novice

Post by Tonyandson »

I can buy 10 tables cost 160 THB (800mg,Acyclovir)