Teeth whitening.. Latest best place?

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Teeth whitening.. Latest best place?

Post by thecolonel »

Full disclosure.. I asked about this a while back but......things change! Who is the best and most reasonably priced for this in Hua hin? I don't know much about it but I know I don't want a DIY kit, I want them to do the job and to do it well. The abundance of Cool smile clinics actually makes me nervous that it's all a rip off, happy to be reassured by any happy customers, thanks

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

johnjar
Guru
Guru

Re: Teeth whitening.. Latest best place?

Post by johnjar »

thecolonel wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:21 am Full disclosure.. I asked about this a while back but......things change! Who is the best and most reasonably priced for this in Hua hin? I don't know much about it but I know I don't want a DIY kit, I want them to do the job and to do it well. The abundance of Cool smile clinics actually makes me nervous that it's all a rip off, happy to be reassured by any happy customers, thanks

I have other work done here and they did a great job for me, though have not had teeth whitening yet, they are popular with both locals and expats, they are always busy so that speaks for itself.

https://www.whatclinic.com/dentists/tha ... al-clinicd
Dr Smiley
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dr Smiley »

Hello everyone.

I'm a qualified dentist from the UK I don't have a license to work in Thailand so the advice I give you is purely for goodwill, and there is no self gain. Like Dr Mike, I am happy to answer questions publicly, so do ask.

I have worked as a consultant to three international dental companies with a special focus on whitening. I used this knowledge to train dentist on whitening. This is because, it's one of those cost effective ways at harmlessly improving a smile, helping to make it look healthier and younger.

Reading this topic shows me some mythology has crept into advice. I want to help those of you who are interested 2 make an informed choice to whiten your smile.

The gold standard in whitening is to have moulds taken of your teeth, and a really thin comfortable 'tray' made to custom fit your jaws to hold the gel in place.

Then for one hour a day you place the gel in the tray to whiten the teeth. I normally recommend you do the upper teeth first for 2 weeks. The reason is you can use the lower jaw color to show you where you started and compare to the upper jaw which shows you the color you've attained. Then for the next 10 days you do the lower jaw to
match the upper.

Now there is something called Power /Laser Whitening where they use lights to aid the whitening process. However, this really is a jump start procedure. It does work, but note that you are paying for two hours of the dentist time, which you can save if you take a few days longer for the gold star treatment.

Generally, toothpastes and mouthwashes very rarely whiten teeth. Any Improvement tends to be superficial only,
meaning the colour can come back as fast as it went. The only exception is by using white strips. The best are Crest White Strips AP. These are plentiful in U.S. But I have no idea their availability in Thailand.

A competent dentist can make this procedure painless I'm restore your smile to look from 10- 20 years ago. There should be no effect on the enamel or long-term problems if this is done well. That's the service you should be buying.

Looking at the prices in the last post, it seems that the Lady Dentists' prices are pretty reasonable and far cheaper that in the UK.

Good luck!
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Dr Smiley wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:04 am Hello everyone.

I'm a qualified dentist from the UK I don't have a license to work in Thailand so the advice I give you is purely for goodwill, and there is no self gain. Like Dr Mike, I am happy to answer questions publicly, so do ask.

I have worked as a consultant to three international dental companies with a special focus on whitening. I used this knowledge to train dentist on whitening. This is because, it's one of those cost effective ways at harmlessly improving a smile, helping to make it look healthier and younger.

Reading this topic shows me some mythology has crept into advice. I want to help those of you who are interested 2 make an informed choice to whiten your smile.

The gold standard in whitening is to have moulds taken of your teeth, and a really thin comfortable 'tray' made to custom fit your jaws to hold the gel in place.

Then for one hour a day you place the gel in the tray to whiten the teeth. I normally recommend you do the upper teeth first for 2 weeks. The reason is you can use the lower jaw color to show you where you started and compare to the upper jaw which shows you the color you've attained. Then for the next 10 days you do the lower jaw to
match the upper.

Now there is something called Power /Laser Whitening where they use lights to aid the whitening process. However, this really is a jump start procedure. It does work, but note that you are paying for two hours of the dentist time, which you can save if you take a few days longer for the gold star treatment.

Generally, toothpastes and mouthwashes very rarely whiten teeth. Any Improvement tends to be superficial only,
meaning the colour can come back as fast as it went. The only exception is by using white strips. The best are Crest White Strips AP. These are plentiful in U.S. But I have no idea their availability in Thailand.

A competent dentist can make this procedure painless I'm restore your smile to look from 10- 20 years ago. There should be no effect on the enamel or long-term problems if this is done well. That's the service you should be buying.

Looking at the prices in the last post, it seems that the Lady Dentists' prices are pretty reasonable and far cheaper that in the UK.

Good luck!
Thanks for the offer of advice! I would like to be the first to take advantage.

My wife has been bothering me to get whitening for a while. I drink a couple cups of coffee in the morning, and smoke a couple cigars a day. Would the whitening be a waste of time then? My teeth are not bad looking, and very healthy, but not shiny bright!

Thanks!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Re: RE: Re: Teeth whitening.. Latest best place?

Post by thecolonel »

"Now there is something called Power /Laser Whitening where they use lights to aid the whitening process. However, this really is a jump start procedure. It does work, but note that you are paying for two hours of the dentist time, which you can save if you take a few days longer for the gold star treatment."

This post is excellent thanks!

But I'd like to take it one stage further please

So the Power/ Laser Whitening service that they typically do across Thailand is 5000 baht approx. Let's call this the 'Silver Standard'.

So my questions are...

1. Is Silver Standard a waste of money? Debatable of course, but need to compare prices....
2. So how much is gold standard?
3. How long does Silver Standard effectively last(ie before it would need doing again for a European male in fifties who drinks tea ... 1 year? (naturally I think it's different for thais as their teeth are whiter anyway and different diet)

Thanks

StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

How can anyone state this is the best teeth whitening shop, do you go to many and try them to compare? You will only go to one every few years at max.

Maybe the OP should just be asking for a recommendation. All I know is I do not recommend Cool Smile, they F**k*d up my wife teeth and now she has continual pain
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Dr Smiley
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dr Smiley »

Migrant - I understand your concern. The first time you have professional teeth whitening it will take a few decades of staining away. Then around 3 years later I recommend you buy 1 tube and do the trays with gel over a weekend (approx 1 day for every year since you last had them whitened). So I recommend you get them done.

Colonel - I do not know the prices in Hua Hin, so sorry I can't help there. Whilst having them whitened won't in any way damage your teeth, the level of experience of the dentist to prevent sensitivity & give you appropriate advice is more important, in my eyes

Steve- you are right. Recommendation is the way to go. I would propose you name the dentist you looked after you /didn't as that is more useful than the practice name, to HH Forum readers.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Dr. S, One has to be very careful with naming business or individuals in Thailand for poor service, the defamation law is very strict and very often used here.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Dr Smiley
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dr Smiley »

Thank you for that insight Steve, I have to learn of these things!

Can it work to recommend those you have had good service from?
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Recommending is no problem, naming and shaming is not something to try here.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Does the naming and shaming policy include UK companies ie non Thai? I would like to respect the rules so are they written down anywhere for me to check? Thanks

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Rules are in the terms and conditions that you read and agreed to :wink: when signing up to use this forum.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Dr Smiley wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:52 am Migrant - I understand your concern. The first time you have professional teeth whitening it will take a few decades of staining away. Then around 3 years later I recommend you buy 1 tube and do the trays with gel over a weekend (approx 1 day for every year since you last had them whitened). So I recommend you get them done.
Thank You!! :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

"Crest White Strips AP"

I've Googled this and do not see anything by that given name. Certainly there are Crest white strips but I don't see an AP. There is 3D and White Lux by Crest.

What have I missed?

Cheers
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Dr Smiley--I also have searched but can find no AP strips