Vasectomy anyone?

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Vasectomy anyone?

Post by jingjoe »

Turning 50 and having 2 too many children i decided to get the chop. From the info i gathered most of the private hospitals around hua hin and bkk charged around 10 000 to 15000bht. Then i came across the pda clinic in bkk, it was set up 20 odd years ago to reduce the population of thailand.A charitable business of restaurants was setup called cabbages and condoms, money raised funded the clinics which offered free vasectomies, abortions and std tests
The clinic i went to is on soi 12 sukhimvit in bkk, they average 3 a day, so i figured they knew their business, you have to prove you have already fathered children( birth certificates etc) and complete a successful blood pressure test, twice my blood pressure was deemed too high and i had to return when lower, under 140/ 89 is accepted.
Operation only took 10 mins was less painful than i thought, certainly less painful than a filling at the dentists, more of an uncomfortable feeling as the dr probed around. After care involved dos and donts written in english, antibiotics and paracetomal if needed.
The cost was free they just ask for a donation, which is put in a book and you are given a certificate to say you have donated money..i donated 2000bht, most of the thais donated 500 to 1000bht.
After op, no real pain, second day today all mechanics seem to be working fine. Nothing to be scared about, a very simple procedure.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Vasectomy anyone?

Post by Nereus »

The clinic, amongst other social and NGO contributions, was started by K. Mechai:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechai_Viravaidya
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Jingjoe, can you tell me a bit more about the op, presumably you have an injection to numb the area ?
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

The nurse shaves any excess hair, a numbing lotion is put on and then an anaesthetic needle, it was truly less painful than drawing blood for a blood test, i had a bit of discomfort when he was pulling the tubes to be cut, but it was just an unusual feeling, not painful, over in 10 mins.i didnt apply any ice bags or anything afterwards as i had no swelling.at the moment, day after op, i feel about 90 % ok, a little tender, but nothing to complain about
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Most clinics offer a follow-up check---after several weeks a sperm test is performed (you do continue to ejaculate some prostate fluid after the Vasectomy) to be sure that you are not ejaculating any sperm.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Do you have to make an appointment at this place or just turn up ?

Man in pub circa 1987.
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

Just turn up, 9 to 11am 1 to 3pm, yes after 20 ejaculations or 2months take sperm to a hospital to check if sterile, then again a month later, this clinic doesnt do the tests, so would have to find a hospital that does.also have to use contraception in this time as can still have fertile spern
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

I would also like to add the clinic uses the new no scalpel method which involves a small puncture through the skin which doesn' t require stiches
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Thanks for all the info jingjoe.

How long before you can ride a bike or drive a car without any discomfort or you can do those straightaway ?

Man in pub circa 1987.
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

They recommend no physical activity for about two weeks, just to give it time to heal, i can remove the bandages after 3 days and shower.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

A friend had it done in the UK a while back. They swelled up like two oranges (he said, I didn't view them), and he was laid out for a week. I guess that's not common. :D
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I had mine done in the UK 20 years ago. The most annoying thing was that while, the doc was pulling my wires, I had a 'feel good' nurse in my ear asking me where I'm going for my holidays!
However, local anesthetic, picked up by a friend and the next day I was ready to go. A little soreness but nothing to shout about.
No stitches, no bandages! I've not heard of dressings etc. All free on the NHS and no complaints.
As a follow up, a sperm sample was given for a sperm count just to make sure it worked.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Check the internet for vasectomy and prostate swelling. It can happen over time.
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

Doctor told me swelling can occur if you have high blood pressure...hence not operating unless under 140/ 89
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Ride or drive a car--same day. Ride a M/bike--a few days. ride a pedal bike--at least a week.