Medical Insurance in Thailand or anywhere for that matter

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: Medical Insurance in Thailand or anywhere for that matter

Post by hhfarang »

StevePIraq wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:10 am
hhfarang wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:22 pm I simply kept 1m baht in a bank account to cover medical expenses. I don't know if things have changed in the last 3 years, but then that amount would pretty much cover any illness, surgery, or hospital stay. My wife had surgery and was in a good Bangkok hospital for nearly a week and it cost less than $2000. We pay nearly that now for 3 months in insurance premiums for her because of the high cost of health care in the U.S.

Self insuring is a real possibility there because of the low cost of health care.
1. 1m would go nowhere towards covering the cost of my nephews problem.
2. Your wife had surgery with a week in hospital for US$2,000 (66k Baht), was it a government hospital? My wife spent 2 nights including a 1 hour surgery in Bangkok Hospital Hua Hin and the cost was 85k Baht.

Self insurance can be good but just how much do you need to put away, a major accident of illness could easily go over 1m.
It was in St. Louis Hospital in Bangkok. It is a very good not-for-profit private hospital sponsored by the Catholic church. Doctors and care is comparable with Bangkok Hospital and Bumrungrad at a fraction of the cost.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

HHF that is real good to know. Much appreciated
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

hhfarang wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:43 am
StevePIraq wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:10 am
hhfarang wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:22 pm I simply kept 1m baht in a bank account to cover medical expenses. I don't know if things have changed in the last 3 years, but then that amount would pretty much cover any illness, surgery, or hospital stay. My wife had surgery and was in a good Bangkok hospital for nearly a week and it cost less than $2000. We pay nearly that now for 3 months in insurance premiums for her because of the high cost of health care in the U.S.

Self insuring is a real possibility there because of the low cost of health care.
1. 1m would go nowhere towards covering the cost of my nephews problem.
2. Your wife had surgery with a week in hospital for US$2,000 (66k Baht), was it a government hospital? My wife spent 2 nights including a 1 hour surgery in Bangkok Hospital Hua Hin and the cost was 85k Baht.

Self insurance can be good but just how much do you need to put away, a major accident of illness could easily go over 1m.
It was in St. Louis Hospital in Bangkok. It is a very good not-for-profit private hospital sponsored by the Catholic church. Doctors and care is comparable with Bangkok Hospital and Bumrungrad at a fraction of the cost.
A fair bit of my concern in going outside the expensive and well-known hospitals would be how many of the various very expensive 'machines that go ping' do smaller/cheaper hositals have? The huge cost of some of this kit means that only some hospitals can afford it.

You can see that I'm talking as a complete layman, sorry for that, but that would be something in my head while trying to choose.
Happychappy
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Happychappy »

I pay 5000baht per month (which includes premium for pre-existing condition, asthma, high blood pressure etc)
Admitted to BKKHH with high fever and lung infection.
Just spent 3 nights on saline and antibiotic drips, antiviral, chest x-rays and tests to Malaria, dengue fever etc.
Staff were great, hospital spotless. Treated for pneumonia and dehydration.
My medical insurance (from recommendations on this site) covered ALL the expenses without quibble (86,000baht)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Happychappy wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:54 am I pay 5000baht per month (which includes premium for pre-existing condition, asthma, high blood pressure etc)
Admitted to BKKHH with high fever and lung infection.
Just spent 3 nights on saline and antibiotic drips, antiviral, chest x-rays and tests to Malaria, dengue fever etc.
Staff were great, hospital spotless. Treated for pneumonia and dehydration.
My medical insurance (from recommendations on this site) covered ALL the expenses without quibble (86,000baht) Image

Interesting. What company? Contact info?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I see numbers like that and I wonder. The bill was the equivalent of 17 month's contributions, and hopefully it is a one off. If, for example you are admitted next week with a stroke or a heart attack (and I sincerely hope you aren't), would you still be covered for treatment?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

I'm with BUPA(Thailand)... In 2014 I was diagnosed with Bladder Cancer, treated successfully and BUPA have paid all the bills thus far ( follow up cystoscopy's etc). I haven't added up the total cost but it's in the region of 700,000baht. Monthly cover cost is 2,550 baht. They will continue to cover me but treatment must be 90 days following the last claim.

I now have cataracts in both eyes and need lens replacement surgery at 42,000baht per eye.
Didn't think I would be covered but anyhoo called into the Bupa HH office. " Yes of course you are covered as your cataracts are not related to the cancer but you must get pre approval from Bupa first as it's an out patient procedure."

Done all that and having the 1st surgery next week.

So BB in answer to your question if a new condition is not linked to any existing ailment you are covered.

Cheers
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

sateeb wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:57 pm So BB in answer to your question if a new condition is not linked to any existing ailment you are covered.

Cheers
Thank you, but I was thinking more about the premium cost, and falling ill with a treatment that could be linked to the high blood pressure for example. I've been basically told that high blood pressure would negate any cover for stroke or heart attack.

Happychappy said that he pays a lot because of pre-existing conditions, but he hasn't said whether he'd be covered for those conditions. I was previously told no, and I have friends who also have pre-existing conditions. They pay a lot, but there's a load they aren't covered for.

Points 41; Position 18
Happychappy
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Happychappy »

Big Boy wrote:I see numbers like that and I wonder. The bill was the equivalent of 17 month's contributions, and hopefully it is a one off. If, for example you are admitted next week with a stroke or a heart attack (and I sincerely hope you aren't), would you still be covered for treatment?

Happychappy
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Happychappy »

Yes

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

In that case, like RCer, can you share details please?

Points 41; Position 18
Happychappy
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Happychappy »

It's all down to individual choice. Cover up to $2M, medevac, cancer, accident.
Put it in your piggy bank if you like but my cover was same as I used to pay for SKY TV. Better value I reckon

Happychappy
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Happychappy »

Used AA on this website and found best option for me was David Shield.
Wong Chomsin Building, Office 504
83/14 Phetkasem Road
Hua Hin, Prachuab Khiri Khan
77110 Thailand.
Offic

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you.

Points 41; Position 18
Happychappy
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Happychappy »

Can get the premium down by selecting standard room, basic cover, exclude dental (or 50% cover), exclude routing doctors appointments etc and just target the cover to accidents and emergencies, medical evacuation, repatriation etc.
Shop around and mix and match